Proposal: Habs - Ducks

mytduxfan*

Take two of (Andrighetto, Lehkonen, De La Rose, Reway). Emelin and a 2017 1st round pick. Best the habs can do. haha

If that's the best you can do, I'd pass and I'm sure the Ducks would too.

Did you miss the part where I said: "...overpay in terms of prospects, to force ANA to go for value over actual needs."

And weak ones ? Really...that's three 1st round picks. One of them is a legit top-6 prospect, the other is tailor made for Ducks hockey and could either be used as center/winger, and a 1st round pick a year after the Habs finished in the bottom-10.

All that for 2-years of Fowler, who never quite established himself as a true #1 defenseman (some would even argue he's not first pairing), in an expanssion year.

Face it, you're not dealing in a position of strength here. Now I'm not saying there won't be other offers outhere fitting your actual needs better. But in terms of value...yeah, that package is upthere.

If it doesn't address our needs, I pass. We're looking to win now. Why downgrade at D for lesser assets. We need a LH #1LW. Unless someone gives us that or a player that isn't far from being that, there is literally no need to move Fowler.

I don't care about where those guys were drafted, neither of those guys have looked that impressive at all. They're late round picks and don't have the upside you seem to think. The 1st means nothing. If Price plays a full season, MTL will be in the mix with and without Fowler and I'm not moving Fowler in the hopes that Price goes down in order to get the value needed for moving him.

It's quite simple. It's Galc or Patches or don't bother. I know your answer, so there is no deal to be had. Hence, us Duck fans aren't the ones making the threads.

mytduxfan*

Now your being greedy. 1st round pick, two prospects that can play next year in your top 9, and Emelin for only 2 years of Fowler favors the ducks. I bet they would take it

How is only taking a deal that addresses your team's needs "greedy"? If Emelin is involved, I'm 100% sure that ANA wouldn't take that deal. DET fans have already put forth offers better then the 1st + two prospects offer MTL fans have put forward.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
It's pretty simple. Any deal for fowler including a defensemen that's not better than him is dead on the spot.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How is only taking a deal that addresses your team's needs "greedy"? If Emelin is involved, I'm 100% sure that ANA wouldn't take that deal. DET fans have already put forth offers better then the 1st + two prospects offer MTL fans have put forward.

What is your teams needs? Top 9 forwards? Curious, what two prospects did Det apparently offer? I get your Emelin comment but Ducks will have to take salary back. Good luck finding a team that wants Fowler and has plenty of cap space

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Now your being greedy. 1st round pick, two prospects that can play next year in your top 9, and Emelin for only 2 years of Fowler favors the ducks. I bet they would take it

You guys are really having trouble with the "do not want any part of Emelin" thing aren't you? The very last thing the Ducks need is to spend 4M/year on defenceman number 10

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
What is your teams needs? Top 9 forwards? Curious, what two prospects did Det apparently offer? I get your Emelin comment but Ducks will have to take salary back. Good luck finding a team that wants Fowler and has plenty of cap space

Young cost controlled top 6 forwards.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany

It's a collection of spare parts. The pick is the most valuable asset by a large margin, and that's the least important thing for the Ducks to get in a deal for Fowler. Apart from Emelin's salary making him a non starter to add to an already crowded back-end in Anaheim, it's just not an appealing return, at all.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

Want to explain why we would want picks/prospects and another defensemen for Fowler? Remember, this isn't NHL 16 where you can keep adding pieces to make the "value" match.

I'll help you, we don't need any of those pieces. We're trading Fowler because we have a glut of defensemen and we have an internal budget that needs to be considered, so there's zero reason for us to take Emelin back. Picks and prospects do not help a team in a win now mode actually win now.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's a collection of spare parts. The pick is the most valuable asset by a large margin, and that's the least important thing for the Ducks to get in a deal for Fowler. Apart from Emelin's salary making him a non starter to add to an already crowded back-end in Anaheim, it's just not an appealing return, at all.

I wouldn't consider Lehkonen and Andrighetto spare parts (that's who I would choose). These guys will be NHL'ers next year and middle 6 of the lineup. Add the 1st round pick and its a sold deal for the Ducks. Doubt any real offer will be better than this one though. Depends on what kind of forward Ducks are looking for. Remember, Fowler only has 2 years left on his deal then UFA. Nobody will trade a young proven NHL prospect with controlled salary for a 2 year guy. I get the feeling that's what your thinking they will get. I could be wrong but doubt it.

Habs can trade Emelin in another deal as they would be well over the cap with Fowler.

mytduxfan*

Top line LW is our need and DET fans offered us Tatar + Pulk + 2nd or Tatar + Sheahan. However, I'd want Tatar + AA/Mantha. Still, the first 2 offers are better for ANA then what you're offering.

There are plenty of teams with the cap space to fit Fowler's very cheap 4M per contract, and that's not even considering the fact we'd likely be taking a large chunk of salary back. :laugh:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Top line LW is our need and DET fans offered us Tatar + Pulk + 2nd or Tatar + Sheahan. However, I'd want Tatar + AA/Mantha. Still, the first 2 offers are better for ANA then what you're offering.

There are plenty of teams with the cap space to fit Fowler's very cheap 4M per contract, and that's not even considering the fact we'd likely be taking a large chunk of salary back. :laugh:

If Det actually offered Tatar in a deal, it would be done by now. No way that's happening.

mytduxfan*

If Det actually offered Tatar in a deal, it would be done by now. No way that's happening.

I never said that DET had offered it, I just said that DET fans had. Anyway, that's not even necessarily true. BM needs to get Lindholm signed before he actually moves Fowler. Moving out Fowler pretty much leaves Lindholm as our only top pairing D-man. Therefore, Lindholm or more specifically, his agent, could put the squeeze on BM knowing that Lindholm is his only option moving forward. BM isn't perfect, but he's incredible good when it comes to signing RFAs and moving Fowler before Lindholm is signed would be a schoolboy error. For all we know, a deal could be in place and it's just a question of Lindholm signing for that to go through.

Coming Home

Tic-tic-tic
May 26, 2016
TN, USA
I never said that DET had offered it, I just said that DET fans had. Anyway, that's not even necessarily true. BM needs to get Lindholm signed before he actually moves Fowler. Moving out Fowler pretty much leaves Lindholm as our only top pairing D-man. Therefore, Lindholm or more specifically, his agent, could put the squeeze on BM knowing that Lindholm is his only option moving forward. BM isn't perfect, but he's incredible good when it comes to signing RFAs and moving Fowler before Lindholm is signed would be a schoolboy error. For all we know, a deal could be in place and it's just a question of Lindholm signing for that to go through.

I think you're dead on in saying that Fowler will only be moved after Lindholm is signed and that a deal may have already been struck.
Given that BM and MB were close friends back wen they were in the Hawks organization, I'm hoping that that deal is between ANA and MTL, for whatever assets that MTL decides to part with and is agreeable to BM.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Fowler is good but not that good. Your not getting a top 6 young forward for a guy who has 2 years left on his deal. Just not happening. You may get an equivalent top 6 forward in return with a few years left till UFA (1, 2, or 3 years range)

Or you can take the best package deal that the Habs are more than likely offering where you slot young controlled salaries in your top 9 and add a very good draft pick as well. Nobody will give you the "Gallagher" type return for a guy near UFA. Top 6 forwards with controlled salaries are just not available.

This is why Fowler is still with the Ducks. Asking price is too high. GM's are playing the waiting game.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I think Fowler is good but not that good. Your not getting a top 6 young forward for a guy who has 2 years left on his deal. Just not happening. You may get an equivalent top 6 forward in return with a few years left till UFA (1, 2, or 3 years range)

Or you can take the best package deal that the Habs are more than likely offering where you slot young controlled salaries in your top 9 and add a very good draft pick as well. Nobody will give you the "Gallagher" type return for a guy near UFA. Top 6 forwards with controlled salaries are just not available.

This is why Fowler is still with the Ducks. Asking price is too high. GM's are playing the waiting game.

I see a lot of assumptions being made here by you, and they all conveniently support your team ripping the Ducks off.

mytduxfan*

Based on absolutely nothing...

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Fowler is a solid defenseman. Moves the puck well and would complement Weber nicely on the back end with the Habs, and give them two tremendous defense pairings and a third good pairing.

Fowler - Weber
Markov - Petry
Beaulieu - Pateryn

That's a solid mix of size, speed, and veteran/youth.

I don't know what the Ducks would want in order to part with him, but you have to think he's being moved with all the signings that have taken place and the young talent they have in the pipeline.

Naturally Habs fans will want to buy him cheap, and Ducks fans will want to sell him high.

I'd have to say it starts with a 2017 1st round pick, Scherbak, and either a cost controlled forward like Andrighetto, or another pick/prospect. I'd rather keep McCarron and hope he's not the one being dangled as he's the only power forward prospect the Habs have.

I don't know what it takes, but I understand why Anaheim fans want more, Fowler is a first pairing defenseman and would fit very nicely with Weber on the top pair.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I see a lot of assumptions being made here by you, and they all conveniently support your team ripping the Ducks off.

If Fowler was so valuable, why didn't the Oliers trade T Hall for him? The problem is he is 2 years away from UFA and most people with realistic expectations knows it.

Lehkonen: 2nd round pick (#55 overall) in 2013 draft. He's been playing with men overseas over the last 2 season and was a top performing player. This guy is good two way player with leadership and will be a top 6 in the NHL next year or the year after depending on your depth at LW

Andrighetto: He's arguably Gallagher round 2. Lots of speed with scoring touch and gritty.

1st round pick: This is overboard (my opinion) but gets the deal done.

One fan's opinion vs another fan's opinion but I suspect if this deal was actually on the table, Ducks would take it. I get the feeling you don't know the Habs prospect depth. Lots to choose from and a lot of players are ready this coming season or next for sure.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
If Fowler was so valuable, why didn't the Oliers trade T Hall for him? The problem is he is 2 years away from UFA and most people with realistic expectations knows it.

Lehkonen: 2nd round pick (#55 overall) in 2013 draft. He's been playing with men overseas over the last 2 season and was a top performing player. This guy is good two way player with leadership and will be a top 6 in the NHL next year or the year after depending on your depth at LW

Andrighetto: He's arguably Gallagher round 2. Lots of speed with scoring touch and gritty.

1st round pick: This is overboard (my opinion) but gets the deal done.

One fan's opinion vs another fan's opinion but I suspect if this deal was actually on the table, Ducks would take it. I get the feeling you don't know the Habs prospect depth. Lots to choose from and a lot of players are ready this coming season or next for sure.

That's a terrible argument.

The two year thing is also bs. Having two years left on your contract doesn't hinder value at all. In fact in general its a positive.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
If it doesn't address our needs, I pass. We're looking to win now. Why downgrade at D for lesser assets. We need a LH #1LW. Unless someone gives us that or a player that isn't far from being that, there is literally no need to move Fowler.

I don't care about where those guys were drafted, neither of those guys have looked that impressive at all. They're late round picks and don't have the upside you seem to think. The 1st means nothing. If Price plays a full season, MTL will be in the mix with and without Fowler and I'm not moving Fowler in the hopes that Price goes down in order to get the value needed for moving him.

It's quite simple. It's Galc or Patches or don't bother. I know your answer, so there is no deal to be had. Hence, us Duck fans aren't the ones making the threads.

I understand that's what you're looking for. But you're not gonna get a combination of cost-controlled (therefor youth), skills and assurance (can play top-6 right now) for 2 years of Fowler, ESPECIALLY this year, when ALL the other teams are aware that the Ducks are in a bit of a cap crunch, and have to sell Fowler low, or face the strong possibility to lose him (or Despres) for free through the expansion draft.

If that's the price to pay, then teams are gonna wait, and wait, and wait...and the Ducks will ultimately have to settle for half of the return they would've got now.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Based on absolutely nothing...

Based on the fact Fowler is still with the Ducks when he's been on the market for a while now (at least that's what the rumors are). Ducks are dangling him to see what they can get but no deal yet?

Only way ducks get a top 6 forward is they get a expiring UFA contract in return. Is this what they are looking for? Probably not so he probably stays a Duck and they try to trade other D man instead.

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
lol even after these recent D trades, people still think good young defensemen are available for cheap? Fowler is good for pretty much 35 points a season while playing over 22 mins a game. has a .5 PPG in the playoffs which is better than some forwards. Also he is only 24. But yea, he is not that good :shakehead

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
I understand that's what you're looking for. But you're not gonna get a combination of cost-controlled (therefor youth), skills and assurance (can play top-6 right now) for 2 years of Fowler, ESPECIALLY this year, when ALL the other teams are aware that the Ducks are in a bit of a cap crunch, and have to sell Fowler low, or face the strong possibility to lose him (or Despres) for free through the expansion draft.

If that's the price to pay, then teams are gonna wait, and wait, and wait...and the Ducks will ultimately have to settle for half of the return they would've got now.

Why? They'd just go ahead and let Despres go in the expansion draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad