Proposal: Habs - Ducks

Ducksgo*

Fowler to Montreal is the only direction it makes sense. The assets that Anaheim would want from Montreal are the ones you wouldn't want to move.

Which makes Habs a poor trading partner.

Ducksgo*

Fowler a top pairing D man. lol.

You need to obviously watch more ducks games before making a dumb comment like that. He's been a top pairing D men for us for quite some time.

Last edited by a moderator:

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Habs fans, we need to move on from Fowler.

ANA are very tight in capspace, and looking for forwards, which we also are. The only way MTL gets Fowler is if we severly overpay in terms of prospects, to force ANA to go for value over actual needs.

That means a package along the lines of Scherbak + McCarron + 1st round pick. Personally, I'm not paying that for 2 years of Fowler. As valuable as Fowler would be in our defense, we need those kids more than we need him at this point.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Montreal wants Fowler Anaheim needs a good win now piece back one that isn't too expensive so that leaves one of the following players Pacioretty,Gallagher or Galchenyuk that would need to come back to Anaheim if Montreal isn't trading one of them then your not getting Fowler.

Why Anaheim wants Emelin?

We wouldn't

One of the worst proposals that I have ever seen.

If it was Fowler for Plekanec,Emelin and Desharnais Ducks would be above the cap. If instead of Desharnais it was Beaulieu we would be so close to the cap we couldn't re-sign Lindholm and Rakell. Yep this is a horrible horrible horrible proposal by the OP.

Oct 18, 2011
to MTL:
Cam Fowler + 2nd

To ANA:
Plekanec
Emelin
Desharnais/Beaulieu.

Habs would get the top 2 D they require as well as clearing cap space for possible signing of Shipachev.
Ducks get established 2C plus top 4D plus 3C/young established D.

The cap numbers work well for both teams.
ducks have Ryan Kesler one of the top no.2 centers in the entire league, no need for emelin so really this deal does nothing for anaheim

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Pretty bad for the Ducks and makes no sense for us. The only thing I can see the Ducks trading Fowler to us is a package for Pacioretty or Galchenyuk.

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
Just because Fowler plays on the top pair for Anaheim doesn't mean he's a top pairing defenseman. Similarly, Andrei Markov isn't a top pairing d-man (anymore) although he plays on the top pair. If Fowler was a legit top d-man, the Ducks wouldn't entertain trading him. They'd move any of their other d-men instead. That being said, the OP doesn't address Anaheim's needs. But I'm not even certain Mtl will try to acquire a LD, they might try Sergachev on their top D with Weber. Wouldn't surprise me one bit. I think they're really high on the kid.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Just because Fowler plays on the top pair for Anaheim doesn't mean he's a top pairing defenseman. Similarly, Andrei Markov isn't a top pairing d-man (anymore) although he plays on the top pair. If Fowler was a legit top d-man, the Ducks wouldn't entertain trading him. They'd move any of their other d-men instead. That being said, the OP doesn't address Anaheim's needs. But I'm not even certain Mtl will try to acquire a LD, they might try Sergachev on their top D with Weber. Wouldn't surprise me one bit. I think they're really high on the kid.

Who did Markov play with?

Fowler played with Bieksa.

Edit: to be clear, that's rhetorical. I know who Markov played with. He played with Subban. So who was the vastly superior player that Fowler had to lean on to be a top pairing defenseman in Anaheim? Kevin Bieksa. Your point falls well short.

Last edited:

mytduxfan*

to MTL:
Cam Fowler + 2nd

To ANA:
Plekanec
Emelin
Desharnais/Beaulieu.

Habs would get the top 2 D they require as well as clearing cap space for possible signing of Shipachev.

This is horrendous. No consideration for our needs. Your unwanted depth and aging players for our young, top guys. Classic. :shakehead

Currently Ducks have 6 D signed plus RFA Lindholm. Emelin would be the 7th Dman

We actually have 9 D.

Lindholm - Manson
Fowler - Vatanen
Theodore - Bieska
Stoner - Holzer
Montour

Why would we need Emelin? With this deal, we'd have 10 D if we took Emelin and Beaulieu. How does that help us? No consideration for our needs whatsoever.

He would be one of the 7 D on the roster, not the 7th on the depth chart.

So we'd spend 4M on a 7th D? How does that help us?

Fowler a top pairing D man. lol.

Yes. lol.

Habs fans, we need to move on from Fowler.

ANA are very tight in capspace, and looking for forwards, which we also are. The only way MTL gets Fowler is if we severly overpay in terms of prospects, to force ANA to go for value over actual needs.

That means a package along the lines of Scherbak + McCarron + 1st round pick. Personally, I'm not paying that for 2 years of Fowler. As valuable as Fowler would be in our defense, we need those kids more than we need him at this point.

We don't want futures, especially weak ones like that.

Except Fowler has played with Lovejoy and Bieksa and Markov has been playing with a true #1D in Subban.

You're right though, we wouldn't be considering moving Fowler if:

(a) There wasn't an impending expansion draft.
(b) We didn't have Lindholm, who has higher upside.
(c) We didn't have a huge need for a #1 LH LW and, unlike the OP, know that you've "gotta give to get".

The expansion draft is key though. We can only protect 3 and those 3 will likely be Lindholm, Vatanen, and Manson i.e. no room for Fowler.

Galch or GTFO

This. Would also accept a discussion around Patches. Otherwise, don't bother.

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
This is horrendous. No consideration for our needs. Your unwanted depth and aging players for our young, top guys. Classic. :shakehead

We actually have 9 D.

Lindholm - Manson
Fowler - Vatanen
Theodore - Bieska
Stoner - Holzer
Montour

Why would we need Emelin? With this deal, we'd have 10 D if we took Emelin and Beaulieu. How does that help us? No consideration for our needs whatsoever.

So we'd spend 4M on a 7th D? How does that help us?

Yes. lol.

Except Fowler has played with Lovejoy and Bieksa and Markov has been playing with a true #1D in Subban.

You're right though, we wouldn't be considering moving Fowler if:

(a) There wasn't an impending expansion draft.
(b) We didn't have Lindholm, who has higher upside.
(c) We didn't have a huge need for a #1 LH LW and, unlike the OP, know that you've "gotta give to get".

The expansion draft is key though. We can only protect 3 and those 3 will likely be Lindholm, Vatanen, and Manson i.e. no room for Fowler.

This. Would also accept a discussion around Patches. Otherwise, don't bother.

No matter how hard you try to twist and turn it, teams just don't trade a #1D even if you have other needs especially if that said D has a cap hit of 4M. According to Dreger, Anaheim was asking for the #8 OA or the #9 OA from Buffalo and Montreal in return of Fowler at the draft to which both teams turned it down....To me, that speaks volume of what teams think of Fowler.

Last edited:

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Another Ducks proposal that has no consideration to if it actually helps the Ducks or not, just as long as it fits their own team - and Anaheim is giving up the best player by far for scraps in return to boot. Wonderful.

mytduxfan*

No matter how hard you try to twist and turn it, teams just don't trade a #1D even if you have other needs especially if that said D has a cap hit of 4M. According to Dreger, Anaheim was asking for the #8 OA or the #9 OA from Buffalo and Montreal in return of Fowler at the draft to which both teams turned it down....To me, that speaks volume of what teams think of Fowler.

Not strictly true. MTL just traded Subban. So I guess there are certain circumstances in which teams will trade #1Ds. Regardless, Fowler isn't a #1D though. He's a #2D. In fact, the potential that Lindholm might be a #1D is one of the reasons that the Ducks are considering moving Fowler. Otherwise, we wouldn't move him.

Dreger never said it was Fowler for 8th OA or 9th OA straight up. Could very well have been multiple pieces involved.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
to MTL:
Cam Fowler + 2nd

To ANA:
Plekanec
Emelin
Desharnais/Beaulieu.

:laugh: Try again. Actually, don't.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Fowler makes 4 Million per year for 2 more years and then he is a UFA. Ducks need LW or RW help in top 6 or top 9. They can't take on more salary in any trade as well

Habs are interested in Fowler no doubt and so are other teams. Habs also can't take on salary so maybe they need a 3rd team to take DD or Emelin's salary?

Would the Ducks be interested in Andrighetto, Lehkonen, and DD for Fowler? Ducks will keep shopping till they get the best value top 9 player. Habs do have many interesting prospects that are ready but Ducks probably want a proven NHL'er in return. Hard to make a deal work. Both want to win now

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

No one called Fowler a #1D, is this another case where someone is forgetting there are two Dmen in a pair?

You can't prove that Anaheim was willing to move Fowler straight up for either of those picks. All you have is speculative tweets from talking heads.

mytduxfan*

Fowler makes 4 Million per year for 2 more years and then he is a UFA. Ducks need LW or RW help in top 6 or top 9. They can't take on more salary in any trade as well

Habs are interested in Fowler no doubt and so are other teams. Habs also can't take on salary so maybe they need a 3rd team to take DD or Emelin's salary?

Would the Ducks be interested in Andrighetto, Lehkonen, and DD for Fowler? Ducks will keep shopping till they get the best value top 9 player. Habs do have many interesting prospects that are ready but Ducks probably want a proven NHL'er in return. Hard to make a deal work. Both want to win now

No.

Please lengthen your message to at least 4 characters.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal

Did you miss the part where I said: "...overpay in terms of prospects, to force ANA to go for value over actual needs."

And weak ones ? Really...that's three 1st round picks. One of them is a legit top-6 prospect, the other is tailor made for Ducks hockey and could either be used as center/winger, and a 1st round pick a year after the Habs finished in the bottom-10.

All that for 2-years of Fowler, who never quite established himself as a true #1 defenseman (some would even argue he's not first pairing), in an expanssion year.

Face it, you're not dealing in a position of strength here. Now I'm not saying there won't be other offers outhere fitting your actual needs better. But in terms of value...yeah, that package is upthere.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
to MTL:
Cam Fowler + 2nd

To ANA:
Plekanec
Emelin
Desharnais/Beaulieu.

Really this work for both teams? What part of Anaheim having an Internal budget isn't being understood. Anaheim in this deal is taking on around $9.5M more if the deal is centered around Plekanec+Emelin+Desharnais. And what part isn't being understood that if BM moves Fowler then why would he be asking for another D man back. If BM moves Fowler it's because he's trying to shed Salary how's taking on another $9.5M in salary shedding salary. And what part that BM is seeking a Top 6 LW isn't being understood. How's a 2C and 3C beneficial to Anaheim when they're already having Getzlaf and Kesler as their 1C and 2C this deal makes very little sense for Anaheim. And Anaheim that's a budget team is taking on about at least $9M too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00