Proposal: Habs - Ducks

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why would Ducks a win now team trade Fowler a young defenseman who lead our blueline in time on ice during the regular season and playoffs be traded away for just a 9th overall pick?

If Fowler is traded I am sure we wanted something that helps us win now and a 9th overall pick doesn't do that. Sabres and Canadiens fans like to say but he wasn't traded for their picks so it means he doesn't have that value and ignore it takes the Ducks to be totally satisfied with that and it should be easy to see we wouldn't be. Too many people like to speculate on things without looking at the big picture.

Unless we are getting Pacioretty or Galchenyuk or Gallagher back for Fowler (nothing else is good enough for us to help us win now) we are not going to be happy to trade Fowler. Canadiens didn't want to trade one of them so no trade was made that is easily the most likely reason Fowler isn't playing for Montreal.

No one said Fowler has no value... He's a 2d or 3D for sure! He's just not worth what most Ducks fans think he is with his current contract. My money is Fowler gets traded for a package of prospects and picks. Ducks need forward depth and top 6 players don't come easy. Package deal makes more sense to me

Waiting game continues

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
No one said Fowler has no value... He's a 2d or 3D for sure! He's just not worth what most Ducks fans think he is with his current contract. My money is Fowler gets traded for a package of prospects and picks. Ducks need forward depth and top 6 players don't come easy. Package deal makes more sense to me

Waiting game continues

Picks and prospect helps our win now team how? We are a win now team picks and prospects don't help. Ducks trading Fowler for picks and prospect makes any sense makes no sense at all to me. Someone doesn't want to trade a top 6 forward then no deal it is as simple as that.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
to MTL:
Cam Fowler + 2nd

To ANA:
Plekanec
Emelin
Desharnais/Beaulieu.

Habs would get the top 2 D they require as well as clearing cap space for possible signing of Shipachev.
Ducks get established 2C plus top 4D plus 3C/young established D.

Didn't the Ducks just pay to acquire an established second line centre last year when they picked up Ryan Kesler?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Didn't the Ducks just pay to acquire an established second line centre last year when they picked up Ryan Kesler?

This upcoming season will be his third in Anaheim, but your point is the same. They have their established 2C.

mytduxfan*

they most certainly know more about this stuff than HF posters

Wtf are you talking about? I'm quoting what Bob Murray, our GM, said. I didn't make it up. Just admit you don't know what you're talking about and move on.

Yes, and Bergevin said he wasn't shopping Subban. Most GM's will never show their cards until they absolutely have to.

Fine. However, the result is still the same... none of us know what offers were put forward for Fowler at the draft and whether GMBM was seriously considering them.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Wtf are you talking about? I'm quoting what Bob Murray, our GM, said. I didn't make it up. Just admit you don't know what you're talking about and move on.

and our GM said he wasnt shopping Subban whereas McKenzie, Dreger etc. said he was, go figure!

when McKenzie gives an EXACT trade proposal odds are that its the real deal (at the very least the offer/trade value is going to be ALOT closer than proposals made by HF members :laugh:). hes not gonna toss a specific offer just for ***** and giggles, he has too many sources and his reputation is on the line. lower your saltyness lvl and just accept the fact that we didnt move our pick for Fowler, asking for Gallagher, Galchenyuk and Pacioretty is just laughable.

pretty sure you're the one out to lunch here, ignorance is bliss tho.

Last edited:

mytduxfan*

Yes

You do know what UNrestricted free agent means?

I do. Stamkos = UFA and he just re-signed with TB. Being an unrestricted free agent doesn't not equal "we won't be allowed to re-sign him". If you trade for Fowler and only get "2 years of him", that's your teams fault, no one else's.

Yet another misinformed HF user that believes all pending UFAs cannot wait to run away from the the club their getting paid very to play for. :shakehead

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
I do. Stamkos = UFA and he just re-signed with TB. Being an unrestricted free agent doesn't not equal "we won't be allowed to re-sign him". If you trade for Fowler and only get "2 years of him", that's your teams fault, no one else's.

Yet another misinformed HF user that believes all pending UFAs cannot wait to run away from the the club their getting paid very to play for. :shakehead

To be fair, Stamkos re-signing in Tampa, the team he was drafted by and the only team he has ever played for in the NHL, can't be compared to trading for a player who's only going to play 2 years for your organization.

KILLger

Mar 2, 2002
Canada
Visit site

I am not misinformed, you are delusional.

So you name 1 player who resigned and I can name loads who haven't. That was a pointless argument. Stamkos chose to re-sign.

The option is the player's.

He MIGHT sign but he probably won't.

If an agreement to extend his contract is in place his value rises but why would anyone risk it at the price of a Galchenyuk ? That's what I'm debating. You being delusional. Not the fact that he could sign.

Hell he could sign for the habs (or anyone else) in 2 years but that team likely won't be the "internal cap" Ducks.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
and our GM said he wasnt shopping Subban whereas McKenzie, Dreger etc. said he was, go figure!

when McKenzie gives an EXACT trade proposal odds are that its the real deal (at the very least the offer/trade value is going to be ALOT closer than proposals made by HF members :laugh:). hes not gonna toss a specific offer just for ***** and giggles, he has too many sources and his reputation is on the line. lower your saltyness lvl and just accept the fact that we didnt move our pick for Fowler, asking for Gallagher, Galchenyuk and Pacioretty is just laughable.

pretty sure you're the one out to lunch here, ignorance is bliss tho.

No one moved their 1st round pick for Fowler no one even traded for him at all. If Ducks are not happy with the return for Fowler (which should involve a good win now piece because we are a win now team) we are not going to trade him. Saying we would want Gallagher or Galchenyuk or Pacioretty isn't laughable it is what would want for Fowler because it is only pieces that fit our needs if Montreal wouldn't trade that for him then no deal. What is laughable is saying a win now team should trade their at worst 2nd best overall defenseman who is only 24 years old and most experienced of our good young defenseman for things that aren't good enough to help our win now team win now.

mytduxfan*

when McKenzie gives an EXACT trade proposal odds are that its the real deal (at the very least the offer/trade value is going to be ALOT closer than proposals made from HF members :laugh:). hes not gonna toss a specific offer just for ***** and giggles, he has too many sources and his reputation is on the line. lower your saltyness lvl and just accept the fact that we didnt move our pick for Fowler, asking for Gallagher, Galchenyuk and Pacioretty is just laughable.

Ok, firstly, wtf does the Bergevin-Subban situation have to do with BM and Fowler? Hate to break it to you, but Bob Murray isn't Marc Bergevin. Unlike MB, who denied shopping Subban once rumours got out, BM said he was listening to offers on Fowler after the news got out. He also said after that no offer came close.

So whilst you can sit there and think "Fowler didn't get a 1st", maybe BM rejected that offer. He said "nothing came close". The price of a player isn't just what someone is willing to pay, it's also what the team who owns his rights is willing to accept to give him up. It's quite possible that BM wouldn't have accepted that offer. That doesn't mean Fowler isn't worth a 1st. That's just a narrative you've landed upon because it suits your "Fowler is worth Emelin+" ********.

:laugh: You're the one getting salty and making stuff up just because we don't want your crap for our top pairing D-man. Your prospect pool is weak and full of borderline busts. They do nothing for us. It's Galc, Patches or don't bother. Get over it kid.

mytduxfan*

To be fair, Stamkos re-signing in Tampa, the team he was drafted by and the only team he has ever played for in the NHL, can't be compared to trading for a player who's only going to play 2 years for your organization.

Ok, Johnny Boychuk. Only played one season in NYI and was a pending UFA. Signed a long-term deal to stick around. This notion that pending UFAs are going to leave for the sake of leaving is completely backward. If you pay NHL players a fair rate to play for you, they'll play.

Fowler isn't going to be traded to MTL and then going to refuse to negotiate a new deal just for the sake of it. If MTL offers him a reasonable, long-term deal, he'll re-sign. It happens all the time and it'll happen again. Players just want to play hockey for as much money as possible. Where they're located and the team they play for rarely matters.

I am not misinformed, you are delusional.

So you name 1 player who resigned and I can name loads who haven't. That was a pointless argument. Stamkos chose to re-sign.

The option is the player's.

Yes, he has a choice, but you're the one automatically assuming that all players want to leave the clubs they're currently with i.e. as if Fowler will simply refuse to even discuss extending. That's the ******** narrative you're spitting. That's just simply not the case. If you offer Fowler a fair contract, he'll stick around in MTL. You're being ridiculous.

There are more UFAs that signed with the team they just played for then those that signed elsewhere. In addition, most of the high-profiled guys who didn't re-sign with their previous team did so because the team couldn't afford to keep them or didn't want them, NOT because they didn't want to stay.

Lucic - LA couldn't afford him.
Ericsson - Asked for too much from BOS POV.
Ladd - CHI couldn't afford him.
Staal - NYR didn't want him.
Perron - ANA couldn't afford him.
McGinn - ANA couldn't afford him.
Backes - STL wouldn't pay him the term he wanted.

Again, pretty much every UFA on the market this year was on the market because of the team's decision not to re-sign the guy be it because of him asking for too much money, too much term, whatever. I think you'd be very hard-pressed to find a guy who just wanted to leave for the sake of leaving. If you trade for Fowler, then it's up to you to re-sign him. He's not just going to leave for the sake of leaving.

He MIGHT sign but he probably won't.

If an agreement to extend his contract is in place his value rises but why would anyone risk it at the price of a Galchenyuk ? That's what I'm debating. You being delusional. Not the fact that he could sign.

Hell he could sign for the habs (or anyone else) in 2 years but that team likely won't be the "internal cap" Ducks.

How the **** are you coming to this conclusion? I'm done, you're speaking pure ass-gas now. This is just salt. No one said that Fowler was worth Galc or Patches. We only said that's what makes sense. We don't want Emelin+ for Fowler. Get over it.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Ok, Johnny Boychuk. Only played one season in NYI and was a pending UFA. Signed a long-term deal to stick around. This notion that pending UFAs are going to leave for the sake of leaving is completely backward. If you pay NHL players a fair rate to play for you, they'll play.

Fowler isn't going to be traded to MTL and then going to refuse to negotiate a new deal just for the sake of it. If MTL offers him a reasonable, long-term deal, he'll re-sign. It happens all the time and it'll happen again. Players just want to play hockey for as much money as possible. Where they're located and the team they play for rarely matters.

Never said otherwise. Just pointing out the fact that using Stamkos as a reference wasn't very a good example. Stamkos not only opted to stay in Tampa, he also accepted a very significant 'pay cut' to do it, compared to the numbers that were apparently outhere.

Boychuk is much better comparison. Although, I would argue that the Isles had to overpay to keep him in Long Island. Trading for a UFA is always a gamble, and sometimes in ain't even about the dollars...look at Vanek.

KILLger

Mar 2, 2002
Canada
Visit site

Yes, he has a choice, but you're the one automatically assuming that all players want to leave the clubs they're currently with i.e. as if Fowler will simply refuse to even discuss extending. That's the ******** narrative you're spitting. That's just simply not the case. If you offer Fowler a fair contract, he'll stick around in MTL. You're being ridiculous.

There are more UFAs that signed with the team they just played for then those that signed elsewhere. In addition, most of the high-profiled guys who didn't re-sign with their previous team did so because the team couldn't afford to keep them or didn't want them, NOT because they didn't want to stay.

Lucic - LA couldn't afford him.
Ericsson - Asked for too much from BOS POV.
Ladd - CHI couldn't afford him.
Staal - NYR didn't want him.
Perron - ANA couldn't afford him.
McGinn - ANA couldn't afford him.
Backes - STL wouldn't pay him the term he wanted.

Again, pretty much every UFA on the market this year was on the market because of the team's decision not to re-sign the guy be it because of him asking for too much money, too much term, whatever. I think you'd be very hard-pressed to find a guy who just wanted to leave for the sake of leaving. If you trade for Fowler, then it's up to you to re-sign him. He's not just going to leave for the sake of leaving.

How the **** are you coming to this conclusion? I'm done, you're speaking pure ass-gas now. This is just salt. No one said that Fowler was worth Galc or Patches. We only said that's what makes sense. We don't want Emelin+ for Fowler. Get over it.

The first Ducks fan I was answering to (who I thought was you, didn't bother to verify) said "Galch or GTFO".

I don't really care about getting or not Fowler, but I sure as hell wouldn't pony up Galch is all I'm saying. I don't have anything to get over of, nor am I looking to dump Emelin+ for Fowler as I understand that he could be replaced from inside by Theodore and that you're lacking a top 6...

You're trying to explain lots of things I already understand about needs and your team's situation. Yet, you're still missing out on the fact that I just disagree that Fowler is worth "Galch or GTFO"...

A trade for a similarly young and contract forward is what the Ducks need, the habs do not own such an asset... I can't see any possibility and that's sad because Fowler would be a perfect partner for Weber, hence both team just need to find better suitors.

mytduxfan*

The first Ducks fan I was answering to (who I thought was you, didn't bother to verify) said "Galch or GTFO".

I don't really care about getting or not Fowler, but I sure as hell wouldn't pony up Galch is all I'm saying. I don't have anything to get over of, nor am I looking to dump Emelin+ for Fowler as I understand that he could be replaced from inside by Theodore and that you're lacking a top 6...

You're trying to explain lots of things I already understand about needs and your team's situation. Yet, you're still missing out on the fact that I just disagree that Fowler is worth "Galch or GTFO"...

A trade for a similarly young and contract forward is what the Ducks need, the habs do not own such an asset... I can't see any possibility and that's sad because Fowler would be a perfect partner for Weber, hence both team just need to find better suitors.

I completely agree with you, Fowler isn't worth Galc, but he's worth more then Emelin+ and some package of prospects and picks doesn't make sense for us, nor do you have any prospect that are that interesting. There is literally no deal to be had here. However, instead of just admitting it, some MTL fans have decided to start devaluing Fowler and his contract situation (hence the previous post about whichever team eventually gets Fowler will be able to re-sign him) in order to try and convince us Duck fans that Fowler is **** and worth Emelin+ or prospects + picks again.

Fowler's value sits somewhere between prospects + picks and Galc. You don't have anything valued in that range. There is no deal here. I agree with the guy that said "Galch or GTFO". That's literally the situation. We need a LH top line LW or C. Unless that is something being offered, don't bother. We don't want to hear the stream of package deals possible or how money could be moved for us to take on Emelin. It's literally Galc or Patches or don't bother. I know what MTL fans will say to that proposition, so I didn't ask. There is no deal here.

/end thread

KILLger

Mar 2, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Last edited by a moderator:

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Habs need to give a salary to be able to take Fowler's caphit.

I would do emelin+scherback+andrighetto+17 first vs fowler + b prospect (contract)

mytduxfan*

Habs need to give a salary to be able to take Fowler's caphit.

I would do emelin+scherback+andrighetto+17 first vs fowler + b prospect (contract)

Pass. Doesn't address our need for a 1st line LH LW or C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad