Confirmed with Link: Habs claim forward Logan Shaw from Anaheim

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
This is what I don't get too. I would've preferred to take Brown. Instead he slides to Anaheim who turn around & waive Shaw. That's who we take.

The Ducks have determined that having Brown on their roster is more beneficial than having Shaw.

Let's just say I have far more faith in Ducks management than our own.

They're right to do so. I've watched a fair bit of JT Brown and was surprised that TBL let him go off the waiver wire... I would say that I was much more surprised to see the Habs pick up Logan Shaw instead of him since they had a chance to grab him before the Ducks but the foxhole is no longer surprising.

Jul 6, 2016
They're right to do so. I've watched a fair bit of JT Brown and was surprised that TBL let him go off the waiver wire... I would say that I was much more surprised to see the Habs pick up Logan Shaw instead of him since they had a chance to grab him before the Ducks but the foxhole is no longer surprising.

Shaw has been slightly more productive than Brown over the last two seasosn. He is younger and way bigger. You want another 5'10 - 170 pounder on this line up ? really ?

I am sick and tired to see our team physically dominated, especially vs Western teams.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Shaw has been slightly more productive than Brown over the last two seasosn. He is younger and way bigger. You want another 5'10 - 170 pounder on this line up ? really ?

I am sick and tired to see our team physically dominated, especially vs Western teams.

Being physically dominated is the least of our concerns...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I predict that this guy takes Paul Byrons spot as first line center.

It's too bad they couldn't give Logan Shaw a 13-game stint with Lefebvre. We'd be so much prouder of him now.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
It's too bad they couldn't give Logan Shaw a 13-game stint with Lefebvre. We'd be so much prouder of him now.
actually feel bad that MT is no longer the coach, as if he was logan would surely become a better person

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
actually feel bad that MT is no longer the coach, as if he was logan would surely become a better person

Let's ask our resident Oracle.

22sloq.jpg

Last edited:

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
"Trades are hard" - Marc Bergevin

"Picking up scrubs is easy" - Also Marc Bergevin ?????

Well anyway............welcome aboard Shaw # 2. As others have already aptly pointed out - he should fit in just fine since it can or cannot be determined whether he is or is not a winger or a center or whatever.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Maybe you should ask to any NHL player what he thinks about that....

The last of YOUR concerns, I guess....

What does that even mean? We have no elite talent, our D is slow when the NHL emphasizes speed. I recommend you take a look at the leagues best point producers they aren't exactly giants. The NHL has changed, you can't slash anymore and many new rules put the emphasis on speed (including 3v3 OT).

There is a reason why enforcers/grinders have become extinct.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

Jul 6, 2016
What does that even mean? We have no elite talent, our D is slow when the NHL emphasizes speed. I recommend you take a look at the leagues best point producers they aren't exactly giants. The NHL has changed, you can't slash anymore and many other rules no emphasize speed (including 3v3 OT).

There is a reason why enforcers/grinders have become extinct.

I am not talking about enforcers... I am talking about having taller, bigger players. Take a bit of time and go through the line ups of every team. Yes, you could have great, smaller players, but not a whole forwards line up of them.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

if they don't like it they can quit and go work at McDo. There's no reason to care how they "feel"

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Personally I don't wanna see Scherbak up unless the coaching staff is committed to using him in a top 6 role with some PP time.

In the absence of that, he's better off playing big minutes in Laval.

It's not just about skilled guys. The fact we can't even develop 4th liners should be a big concern. Look at our depth. It's more than half scrubs from other teams. How can you build a team spirit this way?

Schlemko.
Benn.
Morrow.
Froese.
Deslaurier.
Logan Shaw.
Byron.
Alzner (imo Jerabek and Mete both have surpassed him in our top 4)

I mean there's not much guys in our depth developed by us. Carr. Hudon. Lehkonen. DLR. That's pretty much it. We should not need to claim, sign or trade for guys like Froese or Shaw. And developing 4th liner is not on drafting. Those guys don't have skills it's all on development 100%.

It's been going on for years now. I remember back in the days Chipchura was like the perfect 4th liner center yet we simply could not give him a chance and we preferred to ice POS like Peteri Nokiloneinen.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque

If you can't stand heat, don't work in a kitchen.

With that said, while L.Shaw is big, he isn't very physical, won't instill fear in anybody in the league. JT Brown is actually way more physical than him.

Since when size=grit, by the way ?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's not just about skilled guys. The fact we can't even develop 4th liners should be a big concern. Look at our depth. It's more than half scrubs from other teams. How can you build a team spirit this way?

Schlemko.
Benn.
Morrow.
Froese.
Deslaurier.
Logan Shaw.
Byron.
Alzner (imo Jerabek and Mete both have surpassed him in our top 4)

I mean there's not much guys in our depth developed by us. Carr. Hudon. Lehkonen. DLR. That's pretty much it. We should not need to claim, sign or trade for guys like Froese or Shaw. And developing 4th liner is not on drafting. Those guys don't have skills it's all on development 100%.

It's been going on for years now. I remember back in the days Chipchura was like the perfect 4th liner center yet we simply could not give him a chance and we preferred to ice POS like Peteri Nokiloneinen.
I mean, I don't know what organization aims to develop 4th liners per say...

They're usually spare parts, players who are borderline NHL players or top 6 prospects just who aren't quite up to snuff to playing in a top 6 role yet.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I am not talking about enforcers... I am talking about having taller, bigger players. Take a bit of time and go through the line ups of every team. Yes, you could have great, smaller players, but not a whole forwards line up of them.

Oh yes. King, Ott and Martinsen were brought in as big/physical players last year. That worked out great!

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
And Logan Shaw is the answer to this?...
Bergevin loves to take a chance on bottom guys, that's all he is. He won't change jack crap to our team.
Being physically dominated...first off, I don't see that, I see teams dominate them talent wise. There is no bullying match like there used to be. Teams are dominating us because we suck, not because they are taller.
This is 2018 man, catch up.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Oh yes. King, Ott and Martinsen were brought in as big/physical players last year. That worked out great!

We were a one line team that couldn't score at the top of our division, and this is what our GM did to bolster us for the playoffs, smh...

Reactions: Habs178

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
"Trades are hard" - Marc Bergevin

"Picking up scrubs is easy" - Also Marc Bergevin ?????

Well anyway............welcome aboard Shaw # 2. As others have already aptly pointed out - he should fit in just fine since it can or cannot be determined whether he is or is not a winger or a center or whatever.
Sounds like déjà vu ...

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
And Logan Shaw is the answer to this?...
Bergevin loves to take a chance on bottom guys, that's all he is. He won't change jack crap to our team.
Being physically dominated...first off, I don't see that, I see teams dominate them talent wise. There is no bullying match like there used to be. Teams are dominating us because we suck, not because they are taller.
This is 2018 man, catch up.
First I agree or I highly doubt that Logan Shaw will be any kind of answer.
On my point of view Habs are suffering of thier small size from years. When hooking was tolerate being a small team was a disadvantage. When every skater can skate his full speed and not being worry by goons or fighters, some small very fast players can be successfull but on the other side a heavy fast skater have nothing to stop him. If the big, tall and heavy skilled player can skate his full speed he becomes the king of the place and we see the western teams have some success. Anaheim, LA Kings and S-José are hard to beat and S Cup contenders. The goons are gone but the game changed into a more violent sport. The speed of the hits in the corners increased and players suffers from hits that looks like a bicycle accident 7 times a game. I saw a documentary the other night, I saw Semenko fighting every player trying to hit Gretzky. I saw several hits to Crosby and nobody like Semenko to punish back. The documentary said Crosby received hard hits in one year what Greztky received in his complete career.

In my view, the game changed into a pinball machine with humans. The balls rolls without restriction so the players "pinball" with more speed. Big Westerns teams rules with their heavy pressure puck. It happens that LA had the best team because they were faster, had the best duo of centers (Kopitar and Carter), the best D (Doughty) and the best G (Quick).
When a team like Chicago or Penguins wins it's mainly because their duo or centers rules that year. Or let's say a group of scoring forwards that include solid centers. Crosby and Malkin are very good. Toews and Kane top talent too. Yes they are not big and heavy (as an whole team) like LA Kings or Anaheim but they are not the smallest (or little weight) team like Habs are ...every year!
In the range of weight, being into the 60% heavy of the league like Tampa bay are would be a good number. Rangers are heavy enough to go thru two rounds of PO most of the years, they lack some top talent but they can go thru some physical rounds of PO. St-Louis and Nashville are heavy enough and have some skilled players too, both good teams in PO.

Sorry for a long post guys, I just wanted to defend the idea of the Habs should get more weight without sacrifice talent. Logan Shaw is a player claimed by weavers. Zero cost, mostly zero results. Few times it works great. Byron is one example, Beauchemin and Hainsey have been lost by weavers.

Reactions: McTusk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad