Habs can't lose, beat Detroit 2-1

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Our third line has 1 G and 2 A's...

Of course I'm not crying about it since we are 6-1, but lets talk about what we can do with the line of Bourque - Eller - Sekac

I would trade Bourque, replace him with Bournival, then switch Eller with Galchenyuk so it looks like this:

Patches - DD - Parenteau
Eller - Plek - Gallagher
Bournival - Galchenyuk - Sekac
Prust - Malhotra - Weise

Eller's proven to be a bad winger. He plays center and that's because he's only comfortable at that position.

Gallagher's playing on the first. He's their spark plug.

Galchenyuk receives less ice time. Plekanec loses a good winger.

I'm all for developing Chuckie into a center, but we don't have the pieces yet to make that happen without making a big mess of the lineup. Right now, our 2nd and 4th lines are doing really well. The 1st could use a bit of tweaking, but giving them time wouldn't hurt either. Like last year, they'll rip it eventually. Our 3rd line hasn't been very good. Watching the games, I feel it's Eller that's the problem (and I really like the guy). I think we give Eller and Bourque the time to rebuild their chemistry, figure out their ****. Meanwhile we keep cycling players on the wing. Weise looked good with them last night. I just don't see how we can justify breaking up so many working lines just for the sake of helping out the 3rd. I can see us moving Moen out of the line-up or Prust into the 3rd line, something like that. But that's about it.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Its not like that at all.

I understand what she's trying to say, she's just looking at the big picture, before tonight, and possibly after tonight

Of course everyone wanted to win tonight, but DD scoring keeps him in the line up and keeps galchenyuk away from center for a long long time, thats all.

Happy for DD, but he and Bork will never, ever "fool" me.

Meanwhile , Carey's 5-1 :yo: , For those wondering, Jacques Plante holds the canadiens season record for Wins by a Goaltender with 42, .. lets go GET it Carey!
You know what's really keeping Galchenyuk away from center for a long, long, long time.... the fact that if we put him there now, we're essentially the same team we've been the last 4-5 years.... aka.... a 1-line team.

As of right now, we have no one capable of playing Top-6 RW. Our most capable guys in the AHL are RWers, and Hudon is now a center.

Galchenyuk is playing LW and killing it... I'm not opposed to leaving him there until we can find a way to upgrade the LW position. God forbid Pacioretty get hurt and Gachenyuk is playing on the top line with Rene Bourque or Brandon Prust.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

Of course I'm not crying about it since we are 6-1, but lets talk about what we can do with the line of Bourque - Eller - Sekac

I would trade Bourque, replace him with Bournival, then switch Eller with Galchenyuk so it looks like this:

Patches - DD - Parenteau
Eller - Plek - Gallagher
Prust - Malhotra - Weise
We become a far worse team that way.....

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Almost as good as this team being 6-1, is watching the butt hurt reactions from Sens fans. Man, they have a serious inferiority complex when it comes to the Habs. It's almost unhealthy with some.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Almost as good as this team being 6-1, is watching the butt hurt reactions from Sens fans. Man, they have a serious inferiority complex when it comes to the Habs. It's almost unhealthy with some.

rightfully so :nod:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Patches - DD - Parenteau
Eller - Plek - Gallagher
Prust - Malhotra - Weise

What the hell???

You have a 20 year old guy playing great in Galchenyuk, let's demote him in favor of a guy that's a black hole offensively...brilliant!

:facepalm:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Is it me or does Detroit have the referees in their pocket? Eller gets high sticked TWICE in front of the refs and no call...Quincy had one of our players' stick held for about 5-6 seconds...not to mention 4-5 blatant interference calls not made.

Do they feel sorry for Detroit having a pee wee sized team? Looks like their forwards are all Tatar sized at 5'10" 178lbs...made the habs look like the Winnipeg Jets!

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
They'd be right to say so. No way that 2nd goal should've been called back.

But **** 'em anyways. :)

What people don't get is that Abdelkatur was in the crease and Price has EVERY RIGHT to initiate contact with him. There is no obligation on the goalie to refrain from contact and thus refrain from moving forward to cut the angle. He is allowed to go anywhere he wants within that crease to try to make a save. And because this is not an INTENTIONAL attack on the goalie, it is not a penalty, but definitely is the right call!!

In fact, the incidental contact call is almost ALWAYS a case of the goalie initiating contact. If it were the attacking player who initiated, it is normally a penalty. The reason is that the league changed the rule to no longer call back a goal if an attacking player has a foot or even two in the crease but is NOT hindering the goalie. It is the GOALIE's responsibility to show that he wanted that space which is his RIGHT.

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
Impressive for me is that aside from Game #1, the Habs have allowed the first goal every game...and except for the Tampa Bay game, they've come back to win. 5-1 when allowing the first goal.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Happy for the win....but I don't like the game. There were way too much icings; offsides after offsides, and some turnovers (luckily without consequence). It seems that they lacked concentration.

Wings controlled the game for 50 minutes. They are a great puck-possession team, it showed yesterday.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
What people don't get is that Abdelkatur was in the crease and Price has EVERY RIGHT to initiate contact with him. There is no obligation on the goalie to refrain from contact and thus refrain from moving forward to cut the angle. He is allowed to go anywhere he wants within that crease to try to make a save. And because this is not an INTENTIONAL attack on the goalie, it is not a penalty, but definitely is the right call!!

In fact, the incidental contact call is almost ALWAYS a case of the goalie initiating contact. If it were the attacking player who initiated, it is normally a penalty. The reason is that the league changed the rule to no longer call back a goal if an attacking player has a foot or even two in the crease but is NOT hindering the goalie. It is the GOALIE's responsibility to show that he wanted that space which is his RIGHT.
In another thread I saw a different angle on the play. The player's in the crease and I've reversed my position. Even if it is deliberate, it doesn't matter. I agree it was the right call.

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010

Patches - DD - Parenteau
Eller - Plek - Gallagher
Prust - Malhotra - Weise

You would break one of the top 5 trio in the league right now for... that?! Plek-Galchenyuk-PAP have something like 22 points in 6 games, why the hell would you break them appart because our third line is not scoring a lot?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Happy for the win....but I don't like the game. There were way too much icings; offsides after offsides, and some turnovers (luckily without consequence). It seems that they lacked concentration.

Wings controlled the game for 50 minutes. They are a great puck-possession team, it showed yesterday.

The Wings definitely didn't "control" the game, they could have easily been down by a couple after 50 minutes. They have a small quick team, but the Habs have a big, quick team. Habs were not quite sharp but still could have won it before the last 3 minutes. Howard made numerous excellent saves and Parenteau missed a half open net, not to mention the 3-4 blatant non calls missed(4 minute high stick to Eller).

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
Definitely an incredibly boring game. Tons of offsides and icing calls. Zero rhythm throughout the game. Most players seemed disinterested because of how hermetically-sealed the neutral zone was.

The refs were pretty much letting the Red Wings do whatever they wanted. Quincey in particular had many many battles in which he'd create some clear interference, hold the stick, even trip players, etc. Nothing was ever called. In the first half of the game, it felt like the whole team was under a microscope, especially in regards to offsides.

It was great to see Galchenyuk score right from under Quincey. Poetic justice, really.

I am thrilled that they won but I truly hope I don't have to witness another sad spectacle like yesterday evening's again. I'm not easily bored but that was honestly a boring game.

Over 50 faceoffs! I mean, come on...

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Yeah.... dude has no skill. He made it to the NHL based purely on his size.

Desharnais is more likely to replicate Legwand's numbers than eclipse 60 points ever again. Desharnais is a disaster on the PP, leaves points on the ice, and has only vision for #67 and sometimes, #76.

Legwand's career high in points is 63, which is higher than DD's career high. It seems that you think DD is somehow so skilled, yet any rational mind can see that he is not better than Krejci and and whole host of other 2nd line centers.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
In another thread I saw a different angle on the play. The player's in the crease and I've reversed my position. Even if it is deliberate, it doesn't matter. I agree it was the right call.

There was more contact on this one than on The Borky one that got refused.
He was actually just moving across the crease in unison with the tender.
The crease rules have always existed.
The league messing with them has confused different generations.
They've gone to extremes (toenail in the) for example;
And then the anything goes era soon after.
We are back to the original rule which is the correct rule.
Half the people know its a good call and half the people know its a bad call. :help:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Definitely an incredibly boring game. Tons of offsides and icing calls. Zero rhythm throughout the game. Most players seemed disinterested because of how hermetically-sealed the neutral zone was.

The refs were pretty much letting the Red Wings do whatever they wanted. Quincey in particular had many many battles in which he'd create some clear interference, hold the stick, even trip players, etc. Nothing was ever called. In the first half of the game, it felt like the whole team was under a microscope, especially in regards to offsides.

It was great to see Galchenyuk score right from under Quincey. Poetic justice, really.

I am thrilled that they won but I truly hope I don't have to witness another sad spectacle like yesterday evening's again. I'm not easily bored but that was honestly a boring game.

Over 50 faceoffs! I mean, come on...

I was mentioning to someone on the GDT who was going to the game they would love watching this one.
I watched them play live last year.
Babcock has closed down the neutral zone totally. We had a wing in our face all night long.
This is the type of game we would lose 10/10 in the past.
It took 4 on 4 and Chucky playing through his check to get her done!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad