Habs can't lose, beat Detroit 2-1

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Well noted. I was at least breathing hard. Nevertheless, it was a poignant editorial and I distinctly remember his reference to Beliveau and that game 7 would probably be the great man's last game. He concluded with the hope that Beliveau would score a hat trick and catch Maurice Richard's then record for most career playoff goals. He didn't, but carrying off the most improbable Stanley Cup of Belveau's career, must have been sublime. If you listen closely you can still hear Danny Gallivan's call as Richard sweeps by a sprawling Magnuson and flips the puck over a prone Tony Esposito. What a time. What a time indeed.

Yes Sir,
It's hard sometimes to have to dampen some of the young folks expectations.
But they should take heart in the fact that some us older folk are brighter eyed than we've been in well...
Years.

Except for S Bah of course. LOL
He could convince some our "Dogs" could win the cup.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I have children that are older than you.

No. McPhee is the geezer. Sorry for the ambiguity. You're still much younger than me.

I'm 60 yrs. young in 17 days, so a few yrs. more of great Habs hockey, those first few yrs. in Montreal when the Habs won five in a row. I was a baby when the Richard Riot happened, Campbell stealing what should have been the 1st of 6 in a row. But whose counting, Montreal teams have won 39 Stanley Cups that's the only counting that really counts, IMHO.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

1971. As a Montreal fan I have never witnessed a more exciting time than the 1971 playoffs. Huge underdogs against Orr, Esposito and company. A rookie coach. A rookie goalie. Coming back from a 5-1 deficit in Game two. Destroying Boston 8-3 in game six. I remember Bobby Orr being interviewed after what was Boston's worse defeat of the season simply saying 'Yikes!!" The game seven shocker and that incredible Sports Illustrated headline: Catastrophe in Boston. The city was in a frenzy, death threats were made to Macneil after he limited Henri Richard's ice time. Red Fisher's editorial before game 7 of the finals trying to calm the fans down by reminding everyone that the world/society wouldn't collapse if Montreal lost the game seven show down. Lemaire scoring from centre ice. Hull hitting the cross bar on a shot that no one still has ever seen since it was so fast. Beliveau's last game. Danny Gallivan. Richard scoring the winning goal in that steamy, hot and frantic Chicago stadium. Beliveau hoisting the Cup. It was good to be alive. I have witnessed a lot of sports before and a lot since. But nothing, simply nothing will ever match those three weeks so many years ago. I don't think you will find one Montreal fan alive today who experienced those games who would disagree with me. So you youngsters go back to your e-mails, video games and facebooks and leave those memories of better times to us old timers. It was good to be alive then.

Great story Chester. And I'm loving all the other posts that make me feel younger. I was very much alive and following hockey in 1971, but still too young to stay up for the 3rd periods, and definitely too young to understand the significance of a Cup final. I don't remember much about that playoff year, I'm sad to say. But at least I was old enough to become a Forum rat a few years later and go to a bunch of games with standing-room tickets, to watch the late 70s team.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Yes Sir,
It's hard sometimes to have to dampen some of the young folks expectations.
But they should take heart in the fact that some us older folk are brighter eyed than we've been in well...
Years.

Except for S Bah of course. LOL
He could convince some our "Dogs" could win the cup.

I'm thinking of organizing an HFBoards meetup for the 50+ crowd. We'll meet for a 5:00pm dinner to grab the early-bird specials, take a pre-game nap, and then meet back at the deli to watch the game. First round of rice pudding is on me.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'm thinking of organizing an HFBoards meetup for the 50+ crowd. We'll meet for a 5:00pm dinner to grab the early-bird specials, take a pre-game nap, and then meet back at the deli to watch the game. First round of rice pudding is on me.

If you intend to drag a 50 something out we can forego the rice pudding and get us some Stella. :laugh:

I'm thinking we can probably keep our heads. HeHe

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
1971. As a Montreal fan I have never witnessed a more exciting time than the 1971 playoffs. Huge underdogs against Orr, Esposito and company. A rookie coach. A rookie goalie. Coming back from a 5-1 deficit in Game two. Destroying Boston 8-3 in game six. I remember Bobby Orr being interviewed after what was Boston's worse defeat of the season simply saying 'Yikes!!" The game seven shocker and that incredible Sports Illustrated headline: Catastrophe in Boston. The city was in a frenzy, death threats were made to Macneil after he limited Henri Richard's ice time. Red Fisher's editorial before game 7 of the finals trying to calm the fans down by reminding everyone that the world/society wouldn't collapse if Montreal lost the game seven show down. Lemaire scoring from centre ice. Hull hitting the cross bar on a shot that no one still has ever seen since it was so fast. Beliveau's last game. Danny Gallivan. Richard scoring the winning goal in that steamy, hot and frantic Chicago stadium. Beliveau hoisting the Cup. It was good to be alive. I have witnessed a lot of sports before and a lot since. But nothing, simply nothing will ever match those three weeks so many years ago. I don't think you will find one Montreal fan alive today who experienced those games who would disagree with me. So you youngsters go back to your e-mails, video games and facebooks and leave those memories of better times to us old timers. It was good to be alive then.

That Stanley Cup triumph may never be matched, I remember being so bummed out in the 7-5 win when the habs were down 5-2. Key the comeback, the Bruins IMHO never recovered from that and the Habs knew they could win no matter the deficit and were relentless in capturing their first SC in the 70's.:nod:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That Stanley Cup triumph may never be matched, I remember being so bummed out in the 7-5 win when the habs were down 5-2. Key the comeback, the Bruins IMHO never recovered from that and the Habs knew they could win no matter the deficit and were relentless in capturing their first SC in the 70's.:nod:

See you guys have it all over me as far as that era goes.
I was still growing up with the knowledge that the Leafs were the center of the Universe.
Thank You Dad!
My ole man was Tim Horton's partner growing up and friends with Imlach.
I still remember I was 5yrs old in 67 and got to stay up for the Stanley Cup Finals.
Didn't catch much of the game but certainly picked up on the raw emotion.:handclap:

i couldn't break the curse until the 88-89 season having dumped the leafs in disgust with Ballard.
I guess if I was still a Leafs fan today MLSE would be bearing the brunt of my wrath.:D

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Calling Krejci a 2nd line center is hilarious. That's like calling Malkin a 2nd line center.
If DD can produce 600-700 career points ala Legwand... I'm sure he'll be happy with his career.

600-700 points does not equal inept, no matter how you spin it. Legwand has had a solid NHL career.

He'll likely finish around 1200 games, 700 points.

The ridiculous statements around here make me feel like I'm looking at the Trade Proposal board.

Coordinating conjunctions join two independent clauses. Me saying Krejci is a second line center is nowhere to be found.
Krejci is better than DD. A whole host of other second line centers also are better. Those are the two things that are explicitly stated.

You ignore how many points Legwand averages per game, a FUNDEMENTAL component of evaluating a player's offensive potency. Malkin scores at nearly a point per game. Legwand at about 47 points out of 82 games.

Trying to fit Malkin in the same league as Legwand based merely on the number of total points is quite ridiculous. It's quite clear you have ignored Malkin's far greets years in the league or games played.

TassieHab

May 3, 2013
Hobart
3/3 it is! Really timed my Montréal trip perfectly, what a week! I was so pumped when Chucky scored that equalizer, he is such a phenomenal talent, pretty damn happy with my new Galchenyuk jersey I purchased upon arrival :D

That was a very hard fought win from the boys, good to see them getting a come from behind victory, Detroit will be one of the better Eastern sides this year i feel but we are looking very good ourselves. The third line the biggest issue we need to sort out obviously, though i thought Bork at least looked interested and up for the contest last night unlike other times this year, still not clicking for him though.

Anyway Au revoir montreal it's been an absolute riot!

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
From the start of the season, it's clear that the Habs have an extra gear. That being said, they have to stop waiting until their back is against the wall to use it.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I'm a later bloomer than you. Married at 41, first kid at 46, first house owned at 50! Hope to keep working into my 80s or 90s and live into my 100s, which by then, will be fairly common anyway.

You win. ;) I mean, it'a all feasable, IF you take good care of yourself. Which I don't....but intend to. Though, I've been saying that for 10 years now...;)

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
From the start of the season, it's clear that the Habs have an extra gear. That being said, they have to stop waiting until their back is against the wall to use it.

Is that what it is? :shakehead

I'm convinced it's more like Eff this game plan let's go score some goals... :laugh:

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Postgame PK Subban

http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=66&lang=en

Subban '' I thought we did a good job of penetrating ''

tumblr_n79s19bzGK1sizpq5o2_500.gif

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Desharnais is more likely to replicate Legwand's numbers than eclipse 60 points ever again. Desharnais is a disaster on the PP, leaves points on the ice, and has only vision for #67 and sometimes, #76.

Legwand's career high in points is 63, which is higher than DD's career high. It seems that you think DD is somehow so skilled, yet any rational mind can see that he is not better than Krejci and and whole host of other 2nd line centers.

So, apparently 50 points centers arent needed in todays NHL. :sarcasm:

Not DDs fault if the Habs made him their top offensive center. I like what he brings for the bucks he costs.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You win. ;) I mean, it'a all feasable, IF you take good care of yourself. Which I don't....but intend to. Though, I've been saying that for 10 years now...;)
I don't take all that great care of myself either. It's a good thing I'm just naturally so damn handsome... otherwise I don't know what I'd do.

(Notice of course that I'm posting this on a message board where I don't have to back anything up. Takes a real man to brag about himself online.) :)

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I don't take all that great care of myself either. It's a good thing I'm just naturally so damn handsome... otherwise I don't know what I'd do.

(Notice of course that I'm posting this on a message board where I don't have to back anything up. Takes a real man to brag about himself online.) :)

Well all us older folk are damn good looking...
except for Whiskey he looks a lot like Lucic. :laugh:

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
So, apparently 50 points centers arent needed in todays NHL. :sarcasm:

Not DDs fault if the Habs made him their top offensive center. I like what he brings for the bucks he costs.

On the first line, ~50 point centers are skewered, and rightfully so, as their numbers would be lower if not given such icetime and favorable situations. DD is a worse player than Legwand. Smaller, not an inkling of PK responsibilities, and probably slower as well. Legwand can play in his own end. DD is not Briere bad, but the staff sure ain't counting on him to play defense, even though they should.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Coordinating conjunctions join two independent clauses. Me saying Krejci is a second line center is nowhere to be found.
Krejci is better than DD. A whole host of other second line centers also are better. Those are the two things that are explicitly stated.

You ignore how many points Legwand averages per game, a FUNDEMENTAL component of evaluating a player's offensive potency. Malkin scores at nearly a point per game. Legwand at about 47 points out of 82 games.

Trying to fit Malkin in the same league as Legwand based merely on the number of total points is quite ridiculous. It's quite clear you have ignored Malkin's far greets years in the league or games played.
Wow... what a waste of typing. Exactly what I was saying fella, congrats. :clap:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Well all us older folk are damn good looking...
except for Whiskey he looks a lot like Lucic. :laugh:
I'm really looking forward to when I'm 70 so I can say: "It's a good thing I'm not 30 or 40 years younger because if I was, I'd kick yer ass!"

Guess I'll just have to wait...

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'm really looking forward to when I'm 70 so I can say: "It's a good thing I'm not 30 or 40 years younger because if I was, I'd kick yer ass!"

Guess I'll just have to wait...

The youths of today laugh at a thirty something saying that now...
You are cleared for landing... :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad