Habs can't lose, beat Detroit 2-1

Kachino

@kachino82
Feb 16, 2008
Montreal
I was mentioning to someone on the GDT who was going to the game they would love watching this one.
I watched them play live last year.
Babcock has closed down the neutral zone totally. We had a wing in our face all night long.
This is the type of game we would lose 10/10 in the past.
It took 4 on 4 and Chucky playing through his check to get her done!

Yeah Detroit's defensive scheme was top notch during a big portion of the game. However, they did get away with some interference and hooking calls. You know the type of calls that are on the edge that refs can let go.

Anyways, funny how when Paccioretty got called for embellishment, I told my brother sitting next to me that the Habs needs to take advantage of that since there's more space in the neutral zone to gather speed in order to enter the offensive zone.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
I was mentioning to someone on the GDT who was going to the game they would love watching this one.
I watched them play live last year.
Babcock has closed down the neutral zone totally. We had a wing in our face all night long.
This is the type of game we would lose 10/10 in the past.
It took 4 on 4 and Chucky playing through his check to get her done!
It's funny cause I had a feeling that 4 on 4 hockey would benefit the Habs last night. So let's credit MaxPac for the brilliant penalty he took because the Habs are terrible on the power play!

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yeah Detroit's defensive scheme was top notch during a big portion of the game. However, they did get away with some interference and hooking calls. You know the type of calls that are on the edge that refs can let go.

Anyways, funny how when Paccioretty got called for embellishment, I told my brother sitting next to me that the Habs needs to take advantage of that since there's more space in the neutral zone to gather speed in order to enter the offensive zone.

Yes an absolute hybrid interference game that they played from the outset.
The refs let it go so they kept pushing the envelope.
There were 4 or 5 infractions another pair of refs would have called.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It's funny cause I had a feeling that 4 on 4 hockey would benefit the Habs last night. So let's credit MaxPac for the brilliant penalty he took because the Habs are terrible on the power play!

Hopefully our coaching staff will take note.
We were great 4 on 4 in the lockout year.
Sometimes seeking that double minor can help.

Just not the way Max went about it. haha

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Desharnais is more likely to replicate Legwand's numbers than eclipse 60 points ever again. Desharnais is a disaster on the PP, leaves points on the ice, and has only vision for #67 and sometimes, #76.

Legwand's career high in points is 63, which is higher than DD's career high. It seems that you think DD is somehow so skilled, yet any rational mind can see that he is not better than Krejci and and whole host of other 2nd line centers.
Calling Krejci a 2nd line center is hilarious. That's like calling Malkin a 2nd line center.
If DD can produce 600-700 career points ala Legwand... I'm sure he'll be happy with his career.

600-700 points does not equal inept, no matter how you spin it. Legwand has had a solid NHL career.

He'll likely finish around 1200 games, 700 points.

The ridiculous statements around here make me feel like I'm looking at the Trade Proposal board.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I wasn't either but somehow....there's nothing you can do about it. ;)

Good on you to have kids at that age though. My girls are 7 and 4 and I know now I should have had them before....

I'm a later bloomer than you. Married at 41, first kid at 46, first house owned at 50! Hope to keep working into my 80s or 90s and live into my 100s, which by then, will be fairly common anyway.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Happy for the win....but I don't like the game. There were way too much icings; offsides after offsides, and some turnovers (luckily without consequence). It seems that they lacked concentration.

Wings controlled the game for 50 minutes. They are a great puck-possession team, it showed yesterday.

Of all the teams we've played so far this season, Detroit was the most pressing on their forecheck. They clogged up the neutral zone and forced the turnovers and the offsides.

That's not a flaw of the Habs. That's more a tip of the hat to Babcock for having a team playing a well structured system to almost perfection.

Praise goes to the Habs for getting that tying goal and Price making great saves. Once we got to OT, there was more space for our forwards.

Low score but great game.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Disallowed Goal The Right Call: http://www.tsn.ca/talent/fraser-datsyuk-s-disallowed-goal-on-price-the-correct-call-1.113078
"
I would like to see the referees make this call on a consistent basis in the way that referee Kimmerly did. The onus is on the attacking player to stop short of the goal crease and not make contact with the goalkeeper; incidental or otherwise. In the case of Carey Price's crease, I would advise attacking players to stay well clear of his paint.
"

The end.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Disallowed Goal The Right Call: http://www.tsn.ca/talent/fraser-datsyuk-s-disallowed-goal-on-price-the-correct-call-1.113078
"
I would like to see the referees make this call on a consistent basis in the way that referee Kimmerly did. The onus is on the attacking player to stop short of the goal crease and not make contact with the goalkeeper; incidental or otherwise. In the case of Carey Price's crease, I would advise attacking players to stay well clear of his paint.
"

The end.

The was a game called Hockey...
It got invented it got played. :)
Some far seeing individual decided to institude certain rules for the betterment of the sport. :nod:
The rules became the "Bible" of the sport and worked fine for damn near a Century. :amazed:
Hockey became a favorite of both rich and poor alike and a great escape for the down trodden. :cry:

Fast forward to today nothing has changed except the exterior trappings.
The sport became a business the league started tampering with ideas on how to grow the sport further.
In essence trying to tweak "The Bible" :naughty:
Open up the book rule 69.1 NO GOAL. ;)

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Is it weird that find that clip somewhat hot? Like, not full on Tinashe hot or anything, just kind of hot? :help:

Happy to see Galchy was able to elude Quincy the groper for that 1-1 goal, came at a time I was losing some hope.

She's a model (great skin, great smile), and there is fluid transfer going on :sarcasm:. Of course it's hot.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
NHL 94 maybe?

This is what I was thinking, seemed like a video game goalie cellly.

I'd like to try these lines one game, not much change but I want to see Bork/Eller split for once.

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Paranteau
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher
Sekac - Eller - Weise
Prust - Malhotra - Bourque

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
You would break one of the top 5 trio in the league right now for... that?! Plek-Galchenyuk-PAP have something like 22 points in 6 games, why the hell would you break them appart because our third line is not scoring a lot?

I agree with this statement. I would rather the team rotate in a winger who can have an impact on the third line. It may be Bourni, or it may be someone on the farm who makes a strong case for a call-up. I would try Bourni and Sekac first, and move down to the fourth or pressbox whoever is underperforming.

Apr 1, 2006
Montreal
So, to sum up what I've learned from the main board since last night's win is this:

- Habs always win because of luck;
- Habs win because they get help from the refs;
- Habs always get PPs at the end of games in MTL;
- Habs made the ECF because of luck;
- Habs have no star players;
- Habs have no elite players;
- Habs never get the respect they deserve when they win.

Nice.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
So, to sum up what I've learned from the main board since last night's win is this:

- Habs always win because of luck;
- Habs win because they get help from the refs;
- Habs always get PPs at the end of games in MTL;
- Habs made the ECF because of luck;
- Habs have no star players;
- Habs have no elite players;
- Habs never get the respect they deserve when they win.

Nice.

And that was just from our board. :laugh:
Go visit some others a file a full report leaving out none of the gruesom details.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I have children that are older than you.

Well, I have a 4-year old son who is smarter than me. Trilingual English-French-Japanese, fluent reader in English and coming along reading in Japanese.

Anyhow, I thought that ChesterNimitz was just your username, but based on what you are telling me, you may very well be the historical figure. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad