Habs can't lose, beat Detroit 2-1

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
consanguinephysics.wordpress.com
Most teams we played thus far are in position to make the playoffs this year; however this team has a tendency to underestimate the teams that are not.

As much as it pains you, Toronto is a bubble playoff team but can realistically make it. However, they are no more Cup contenders than Boston are.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Disallowed Goal The Right Call: http://www.tsn.ca/talent/fraser-datsyuk-s-disallowed-goal-on-price-the-correct-call-1.113078
"
I would like to see the referees make this call on a consistent basis in the way that referee Kimmerly did. The onus is on the attacking player to stop short of the goal crease and not make contact with the goalkeeper; incidental or otherwise. In the case of Carey Price's crease, I would advise attacking players to stay well clear of his paint.
"

The end.

That won't matter to the HF mainboard tinfoil hat crowd. The refs are always doing the Habs favors when playing in Montreal they cry. They don't have facts or stats to backup their crying but it seems like the fun thing to do on the mainboard anyway.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Well, I have a 4-year old son who is smarter than me. Trilingual English-French-Japanese, fluent reader in English and coming along reading in Japanese.

Anyhow, I thought that ChesterNimitz was just your username, but based on what you are telling me, you may very well be the historical figure. :)

:laugh:
I came to that very conclusion and was wondering if he had to be a closet hockey fan...
Football being all the rage. HeHe

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I'm 51. I believe that Teufelsdreck and Nimitz are older than me.

I'm 60 yrs. young in 17 days, so a few yrs. more of great Habs hockey, those first few yrs. in Montreal when the Habs won five in a row. I was a baby when the Richard Riot happened, Campbell stealing what should have been the 1st of 6 in a row. But whose counting, Montreal teams have won 39 Stanley Cups that's the only counting that really counts, IMHO.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Much of it is in the mind. Some people are middle-aged at 30, others eternally youthful in their 70s and 80s (hell, 90s), particularly those who keep working and enjoying their work in their old age while also staying fit.

So very true, one needs to keep evolving, learning, working and staying healthy. Contributing in every small way to the betterment of our society, there isn't any time for negatives, too much work yet to do!:handclap::handclap::handclap:

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
So, to sum up what I've learned from the main board since last night's win is this:

- Habs always win because of luck;
- Habs win because they get help from the refs;
- Habs always get PPs at the end of games in MTL;
- Habs made the ECF because of luck;
- Habs have no star players;
- Habs have no elite players;
- Habs never get the respect they deserve when they win.

Nice.

Does it really matter what the 14 year old oracles opine on the main board? You have your own eyes and can make your own assessments. After watching this team for over 60 years we seem to finally have a largely competent management team in place who are able to eschew the ever present parochial considerations (Louis Leblanc aside) that have hamstrung this franchise for decades. The Canadiens are a good, but not great team who, in a era of parity brought on by free agency, have assembled enough talent to be more than competitive. Are they Stanley Cup contenders? I still don't think we match up well against the strong Western Division teams. But get into the playoffs with a healthy Carry Price and stranger things in sport have happened. Think 1971.

Kachino

@kachino82
Feb 16, 2008
Montreal
Oh yeah completely off topic: I had no problem with the dry scrapping between the 3rd period and OT. I've heard some fans who didn't like it because of the delay but again no problem with that.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Oh yeah completely off topic: I had no problem with the dry scrapping between the 3rd period and OT. I've heard some fans who didn't like it because of the delay but again no problem with that.

Theoretically it should reduce shootouts.
I'm not convinced. We will see the same teams pushing to end it and the same teams hoping for S/O.
The teams will adjust to the switch in ends/long change.
Have to wait 'til mid-season to check the numbers.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
On another subject, I can't believe how much of a pansy team the Red Wings turned into. They're playing it tough with Galchenyuk and/or Parenteau, but as soon as Tinordi comes in, nobody stares him in the eyes. Hell, even Weise could intimidate quite a couple of them. They're coming in brawls with their sticks high like Marchand does, they do TONS of interference... They remind me of Tampa. These are two teams I despise, with no real toughness, but just a ton of players who play it tough and who take liberties on finesse players.

Kachino

@kachino82
Feb 16, 2008
Montreal
Theoretically it should reduce shootouts.
I'm not convinced. We will see the same teams pushing to end it and the same teams hoping for S/O.
The teams will adjust to the switch in ends/long change.
Have to wait 'til mid-season to check the numbers.

Oh yeah I completely forgot that they also switch side. I absolutely love these changes.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
On another subject, I can't believe how much of a pansy team the Red Wings turned into. They're playing it tough with Galchenyuk and/or Parenteau, but as soon as Tinordi comes in, nobody stares him in the eyes. Hell, even Weise could intimidate quite a couple of them. They're coming in brawls with their sticks high like Marchand does, they do TONS of interference... They remind me of Tampa. These are two teams I despise, with no real toughness, but just a ton of players who play it tough and who take liberties on finesse players.

MT doesn't think like me because Tinner would have/should have become a winger early in the game when it became apparent we were getting a pure diet of hack and whack.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Does it really matter what the 14 year old oracles opine on the main board? You have your own eyes and can make your own assessments. After watching this team for over 60 years we seem to finally have a largely competent management team in place who are able to eschew the ever present parochial considerations (Louis Leblanc aside) that have hamstrung this franchise for decades. The Canadiens are a good, but not great team who, in a era of parity brought on by free agency, have assembled enough talent to be more than competitive. Are they Stanley Cup contenders? I still don't think we match up well against the strong Western Division teams. But get into the playoffs with a healthy Carry Price and stranger things in sport have happened. Think 1971.

It would be close to the Habs team in the amount of new players, actually that team had 8 rookies break in throughout the season. If the Habs manage to somehow win behind Price's goaltending(within likelihood) this year it could begin a new dynasty type of team, considering the great prospects that will join the team the next couple of yrs.:nod: I wouldn't bet the house on that just yet though, I'm thinking two more yrs. before they will be the team to beat, but I was wrong once before if I recall properly!:laugh:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It would be close to the Habs team in the amount of new players, actually that team had 8 rookies break in throughout the season. If the Habs manage to somehow win behind Price's goaltending(within likelihood) this year it could begin a new dynasty type of team, considering the great prospects that will join the team the next couple of yrs.:nod: I wouldn't bet the house on that just yet though, I'm thinking two more yrs. before they will be the team to beat, but I was wrong once before if I recall properly!:laugh:

The interesting thing to see is how much this team can continue to gel.
We are no where near our peak in terms of structure.
We are only two pieces away 2 Top 6 (everyday roster) and maybe 2 depth players.
The more I watch Tinner the more I see an ultimate anchor for PK.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002

1971. As a Montreal fan I have never witnessed a more exciting time than the 1971 playoffs. Huge underdogs against Orr, Esposito and company. A rookie coach. A rookie goalie. Coming back from a 5-1 deficit in Game two. Destroying Boston 8-3 in game six. I remember Bobby Orr being interviewed after what was Boston's worse defeat of the season simply saying 'Yikes!!" The game seven shocker and that incredible Sports Illustrated headline: Catastrophe in Boston. The city was in a frenzy, death threats were made to Macneil after he limited Henri Richard's ice time. Red Fisher's editorial before game 7 of the finals trying to calm the fans down by reminding everyone that the world/society wouldn't collapse if Montreal lost the game seven show down. Lemaire scoring from centre ice. Hull hitting the cross bar on a shot that no one still has ever seen since it was so fast. Beliveau's last game. Danny Gallivan. Richard scoring the winning goal in that steamy, hot and frantic Chicago stadium. Beliveau hoisting the Cup. It was good to be alive. I have witnessed a lot of sports before and a lot since. But nothing, simply nothing will ever match those three weeks so many years ago. I don't think you will find one Montreal fan alive today who experienced those games who would disagree with me. So you youngsters go back to your e-mails, video games and facebooks and leave those memories of better times to us old timers. It was good to be alive then.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Chester quick note...
the people who were in a frenzy were NOT reading Red at the time.

Well noted. I was at least breathing hard. Nevertheless, it was a poignant editorial and I distinctly remember his reference to Beliveau and that game 7 would probably be the great man's last game. He concluded with the hope that Beliveau would score a hat trick and catch Maurice Richard's then record for most career playoff goals. He didn't, but carrying off the most improbable Stanley Cup of Belveau's career, must have been sublime. If you listen closely you can still hear Danny Gallivan's call as Richard sweeps by a sprawling Magnuson and flips the puck over a prone Tony Esposito. What a time. What a time indeed.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Quite an impressive stats line for Prust yesterday. 0's everywhere, including blocked shots and hits. Has been underwhelming this season.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
1971. As a Montreal fan I have never witnessed a more exciting time than the 1971 playoffs. Huge underdogs against Orr, Esposito and company. A rookie coach. A rookie goalie. Coming back from a 5-1 deficit in Game two. Destroying Boston 8-3 in game six. I remember Bobby Orr being interviewed after what was Boston's worse defeat of the season simply saying 'Yikes!!" The game seven shocker and that incredible Sports Illustrated headline: Catastrophe in Boston. The city was in a frenzy, death threats were made to Macneil after he limited Henri Richard's ice time. Red Fisher's editorial before game 7 of the finals trying to calm the fans down by reminding everyone that the world/society wouldn't collapse if Montreal lost the game seven show down. Lemaire scoring from centre ice. Hull hitting the cross bar on a shot that no one still has ever seen since it was so fast. Beliveau's last game. Danny Gallivan. Richard scoring the winning goal in that steamy, hot and frantic Chicago stadium. Beliveau hoisting the Cup. It was good to be alive. I have witnessed a lot of sports before and a lot since. But nothing, simply nothing will ever match those three weeks so many years ago. I don't think you will find one Montreal fan alive today who experienced those games who would disagree with me. So you youngsters go back to your e-mails, video games and facebooks and leave those memories of better times to us old timers. It was good to be alive then.
I've always wanted to see the '71 series against Boston with Ken Dryden going into God mode. But it's impossible to find...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad