Confirmed with Link: Habs Acquire Joel Armia, Steve Mason, 2019 7th & 2020 4th for Simon Bourque

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
What exactly are you trying to say? That Armia isn't capable of scoring 40-50 points next year?

I wouldn't say this for any player, but seen him play from a 17 year old kid in FEL to what he's now, I'm pretty sure what he's got in his toolbox. And you can see it too, by watching games.

Armia isn't capable of scoring 40-50 points next year.

His career high of 29 points on a good WPG team is not going to all of a sudden turn into 40-50 points. Why would WPG trade him if he were that good. They are not THAT desperate to move Mason.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
What exactly are you trying to say? That Armia isn't capable of scoring 40-50 points next year?

I wouldn't say this for any player, but seen him play from a 17 year old kid in FEL to what he's now, I'm pretty sure what he's got in his toolbox. And you can see it too, by watching games.

It's funny, I remember being really mad that Buffalo took Armia right before us in 2011. Well, now we have him. I'm quite interested to see what he does next year with more ice time. He shoots a lot and is now one of the few Montreal players that has a good shot. I'm willing to bet that not many people know he outproduced and outscored Max Pacioretty at even strength last year. He could surprise people.

Reactions: HKbleu and Gsus

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland

His career high of 29 points on a good WPG team is not going to all of a sudden turn into 40-50 points. Why would WPG trade him if he were that good. They are not THAT desperate to move Mason.
Okay, it makes sense now.

WPG traded him with Mason to make space to keep Stastny, in which they failed at. Check his TOI and most common linemates. Pretty sure that with more time on ice and better linemates can see him produce 40+ points. William Karlsson went from 25 points in 2 more games to almost 80 points. See the point?

It almost seems like you don't know the player you are talking about..

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

You ignore that he is just touching his prime years and will get plenty of opportunity and ice time on our roster. It's very reasonable to expect an increase in production from age 25-30. How much more can he produce? Well that is hard to predict. But you have to realize that most NHL players peak from age 25-30 and have their best production years in that range.

Reactions: Gsus

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Also, looking at a guy like Lars Eller, we can see that a player can go from perrenial 25-30 pts to 40 pts rather quickly when there's a change of scenario. I'm not saying that Armia will reach 40-50pts, but saying he ¨isn't capable¨ is unnecessary.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Also, looking at a guy like Lars Eller, we can see that a player can go from perrenial 25-30 pts to 40 pts rather quickly when there's a change of scenario. I'm not saying that Armia will reach 40-50pts, but saying he ¨isn't capable¨ is unnecessary.

Exactly, Eller matured and he broke out a bit at age 28 this year. Players typically have their best seasons when they are in the age 25-30 range. This is also why we should not be so hard on Drouin. He hasn't even touched his prime years yet.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
It's funny, I remember being really mad that Buffalo took Armia right before us in 2011. Well, now we have him. I'm quite interested to see what he does next year with more ice time. He shoots a lot and is now one of the few Montreal players that has a good shot. I'm willing to bet that not many people know he outproduced and outscored Max Pacioretty at even strength last year. He could surprise people.

He also scored more goals than Galchenyuk at ES last year despite playing 3 less ES minutes a game.

Reactions: 417

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
If Armia’s role changes to a top 6 and his ice time jumps from 10 minutes to 15-16 per game and plays with more skilled players....he will hit the 50 point mark.

When I saw him play he always stood out with his speed and surprising skill.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Exactly, Eller matured and he broke out a bit at age 28 this year. Players typically have their best seasons when they are in the age 25-30 range. This is also why we should not be so hard on Drouin. He hasn't even touched his prime years yet.
Drouin needs two things- a better supporting cast and to play wing.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Is anyone here aware of the fact Armia only plyed like 10 minutes a game last season? I'm sure he can hit 40 points playing regular minutes.

We might have a steal with Armia. Big body that can skate and he does have skill. We got him at the perfect age of 25 too. Not saying he is going to score 25 goals and 60 pts but expecting 15-20 goals and 40-50 pts with more ice time and oppertunity, is not a massive stretch.

What do I like the most? We got a big body that can skate and has some skill. It's a step in the right direction with all those soft forwards we have that can't win puck battles.

Reactions: HKbleu

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Bergevin is a bad GM. Really. But this trade is just another proof that you can be bad....you still can do some fine things. And this is one of them. Armia and the picks for Bourque and money retained....That's what what we also should have done with Bickell and Teuvo. And what we should continue doing if there are other examples. You don't want to spend the money on used vets. Spend the money on young upcoming kids and picks.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
This topic remembers me how good were Calder - Arnason with the Hawks.

For sure, enough TOI would change the scenery for Armia. Top liners always get their point. I think Armia will get his 20 goals this year.

Reactions: Tyson

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
You ignore that he is just touching his prime years and will get plenty of opportunity and ice time on our roster. It's very reasonable to expect an increase in production from age 25-30. How much more can he produce? Well that is hard to predict. But you have to realize that most NHL players peak from age 25-30 and have their best production years in that range.

"You have to realize"...uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

So why would WPG trade a player in his best productive years?!

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Okay, it makes sense now.

WPG traded him with Mason to make space to keep Stastny, in which they failed at. Check his TOI and most common linemates. Pretty sure that with more time on ice and better linemates can see him produce 40+ points. William Karlsson went from 25 points in 2 more games to almost 80 points. See the point?

It almost seems like you don't know the player you are talking about..

Well I don't want to argue with everyone about this. It is possible, but unlikely.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
"You have to realize"...uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

So why would WPG trade a player in his best productive years?!

Cause they have no room on their roster to give him the opportunity. I doubt they liked making this move but they were trying to sign Stastny. In hindsight, they might of not made this trade if they knew Stastny was going to Vegas anyways.

Baywulf

Feb 23, 2017
Because they have to sign Wheeler, Laine, Morrisey, Trouba, Myers, Connor and Hellebucyk in the next 2 years..
You should add Lowry to that list. Somebody sadly had to go and it was Armia this time. He is very skillful player but Jets do have enough skill. What they need more is an aggressive power forward like Lowry.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
You should add Lowry to that list. Somebody sadly had to go and it was Armia this time. He is very skillful player but Jets do have enough skill. What they need more is an aggressive power forward like Lowry.

I wanted Lowry, but jets fans explained to me that this was not going to happen.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Hi Jets fan dropping by to give you my take on Armia. He is a useful player but IMO tends to leave people expecting more, and expecting it unfairly IMO. He plays a solid defensive game and is good on the forecheck even if he’s not super physical.

He has incredible hands that he periodically uses them to make spectacular highlight reel plays. Once people see a couple of these plays it raises their expectations and they expect him to put up big numbers all the time and that just isn’t his game. He’s an good skater but doesn’t have the burst to create separation. He also doesn’t have the high end offensive instincts to find quite ice for easy points. (Part of that is that he doesn’t cheat for offence) This is going to limit his productivity when he isn’t making the highlight reel play, and some people interpret this as him "disappearing" even though he’s still playing a sound safe defensive game and helping that way.

If you think of him as a good third line player who occasionally makes spectacular plays you’ll be happy with him. He will play sound safe defence and earn you 5-10 goals that you had no business getting on great individual efforts, but I don’t see him breaking 40 points. For a player you got essentially for free he's still a nice add, but isn't going to turn things around single handed.

WPG traded him with Mason to make space to keep Stastny, in which they failed at

Even without Stastny the Jets needed cap space to avoid having to defer the cap hit for bonuses until next year. Trouba, Morrissey, Lowry and Hellebuyck +bonuses to Laine and Connor are likely to use all the cap space we had available and we still needed 3-4 more warm bodies.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
You mean bottom6 player who can keep possession, shines in takeaways-giveaway stats and shuts down opposition scoring ? Seems like Chevy has different plans and needs, or he had massive stroke while doing the deal. They gave away player like that. For free.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I know I loved watching his forechecking in the playoffs, he was awesome.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad