Confirmed with Link: Habs Acquire Joel Armia, Steve Mason, 2019 7th & 2020 4th for Simon Bourque

jesui

Jan 21, 2011
everywhere
Jets fan here.
Recent events has made the habs my second team to cheer for.
Kotkaniemi and Armia are both my hometown boys and i've watched both of them closely since juniors.

My insight on Armia:

He is not your typical thirdline grinder.
He has two elite skills. Backchecking and handling the puck in tight spaces.
He rarely loses puckbattles, it's almost like the puck is glued to his stick.
Silky smooth hands and very entertaining and dominant player when he is on his game.

Like others have said, theres untapped offensive potential in him.
He set the record in finnish liiga as the only player who has scored over 50 goals (52) under the age of 20.

If given a chance in more offensive role, theres a big chance he will flourish.
But even if not he's still a very usefull player which you can put on the ice in every situation.

The fact that you got him so cheap should make you guys happy.

Happy to cheer with you in the upcoming season!

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Well, I'm not baking on Armia busting out into a pt/game player either. However, why staple him to Pleky and Deslauriers? Why not try him with better talent in the top 6 or top 9? I have no idea why you think he is automatically a 4th line player. It's weird.

Say what you want to say but these are my lines without Patch. And I don't care if you think Gallagher plays "3rd line". There is no top line and we have 3 #3 lines to be used in different situations. Arguably you can say we have 4- #3 lines.

Domi / Drouin / Armia
Lehkonen / Danault / Scherbak
Byron / Pleky / Gallagher
Hudon / DLR / Shaw

Deslauriers, Peca

If you are purposely going to limit Armia ice time and bury him on a the 4th line, then yeah, I guess there will be no break-out happening.
Please take Drouin out of the center spot.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
'' He set the record in finnish liiga as the only player who has scored over 50 goals (52) under the age of 20. ''

Holy ****

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
'' He set the record in finnish liiga as the only player who has scored over 50 goals (52) under the age of 20. ''

Holy ****
Yea kid is good very good just need a chance and time to blossom.
He can be (not saying he will ) another karlson.
The single good acquisition MB did since danault

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
He did that in 3 seasons and you guys make it sound like he's the next Kovalev.

Kid is good but just another third liner ar best. MB's specialty may I add.

With Byron not starting the season and Shaw likely on LTIR forever, I expect Armia to be a good third liner with Hudon and Plex as his linemates.

Can't wait for Seattle to join the league so they can unload Shaw's contract along with a pick to Seattle.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
With Byron not starting the season and Shaw likely on LTIR forever, I expect Armia to be a good third liner with Hudon and Plex as his linemates.

Shaw will not be placed on LTIR. He had surgery in April and will have a 6-month recovery (October return). Either he's there in time for the start of the season or he'll miss at most another month. Teams don't place players who miss a few weeks on LTIR. Hemsky was gone all year last year and he was never placed on LTIR.

Can't wait for Seattle to join the league so they can unload Shaw's contract along with a pick to Seattle.

By the time Seattle comes along, Shaw's contract won't be significant enough to need to send a pick in order for him to be selected.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
He did that in 3 seasons and you guys make it sound like he's the next Kovalev.

Kid is good but just another third liner ar best. MB's specialty may I add.

Ok and he was a teenager? He had a better draft year than Kotkaniemi, our third overall pick.

He is a skilled big guy, it's been a while we had that. He is a 3rd liner but can be a 2nd liner imo. And yes, he isn't an elite winger or so but he solidifies our top 9, unlike Andrew Shaw.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Ok and he was a teenager? He had a better draft year than Kotkaniemi, our third overall pick.

He is a skilled big guy, it's been a while we had that. He is a 3rd liner but can be a 2nd liner imo. And yes, he isn't an elite winger or so but he solidifies our top 9, unlike Andrew Shaw.

That's the issue, the team doesn't have too many elite wingers to go around.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Shaw will not be placed on LTIR. He had surgery in April and will have a 6-month recovery (October return). Either he's there in time for the start of the season or he'll miss at most another month. Teams don't place players who miss a few weeks on LTIR. Hemsky was gone all year last year and he was never placed on LTIR.

By the time Seattle comes along, Shaw's contract won't be significant enough to need to send a pick in order for him to be selected.

I believe Shaw's career is over. Next year, he won't be the same player no more. One more injury and he's done. Hopefully, he retires and the team can move the contract on LTIR and save money on the cap space.

When Seattle enters the league, a second round pick and Shaw's contract will be enough to stop them from picking a prospect or roster player from the Habs. Vegas did many favors this year for many teams.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I believe Shaw's career is over. Next year, he won't be the same player no more. One more injury and he's done. Hopefully, he retires and the team can move the contract on LTIR and save money on the cap space.

When Seattle enters the league, a second round pick and Shaw's contract will be enough to stop them from picking a prospect or roster player from the Habs. Vegas did many favors this year for many teams.

Molson is cheap, even if we become competitive as early as next year, which is unlikely. I don't see the habs spending beyond the cap.

Mdamico

Dec 29, 2006
Shaw will be owed $2.9 and $2.7 million in the two seasons that follow Seattles expected expansion. He'll be super attractive for a salary cap floor team. If Matt Martin was worth something, Andrew Shaw is certainly worth something if he doesn't retire from consussion. No worries on his contract at all. Now Alzner...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->