Confirmed with Link: Habs Acquire Joel Armia, Steve Mason, 2019 7th & 2020 4th for Simon Bourque

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
A career year in his second season? seems a strange way of saying it
A) i was talking about Karlsson in Vegas
B) armia is coming into his 6th pro year

He spent a while in the AHL. I’m glad you love the trade. To me it’s insig just like the Shaw Trade
He’s s decent 3td line winger

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
WOW

Basicaly, everyone who thinks this is a bad trade for MTL are still denying that we need to rebuild (and that it's actually the plan that management have decided upon) and think that it's a bad trade because it doesn't make us contenders NEXT YEAR. Seriously you guys, we ARE going to be bad at least next year and maybe even the next one or two. I know, it's restarting from the beginning, but that's where were at. There's not really a way we'll benefit from the good years of our veterans, unfortunately (Most likely than not, at least).

We are going young. We are going with prospects. We are going with picks.
That's (unfortunately) the best way to go. With any luck, we'll go the same way the Leafs did to assemble the amazing young team they have right now.

If we're rebuilding, why are Price, Weber and Patches still here?

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
more like these ? how many do you think it would take to turn the Habs into a playoff team (even the worst one) ?

you are qualifying as GREAT something that will not change the Habs present or future...

standards among Habs fans are so ****ing low... incredible.
Trades like these could help the present and future, you can't just make one big flashy trade and turn the team into an automatic contender. Armia has a lot of skill and could thrive in a bigger role. He could be a more productive version of Eller (pre-2018 SC).

The Domi-Chuky deal and this deal likely both improve the team and it's character over the next few years. Chuky might end up being a better player but he wasn't putting out his potential and you can only give a guy so many chances. Domi looks like he's pumped to be here and I don't recall Chuky ever showing such charisma and excitement at any point of his time on the habs.

The only way to turn our fortunes around in a big way at this point is to build from 3-4 quality drafts along with some minor changes to the team itself and it seems that is their current plan.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
WOW

Basicaly, everyone who thinks this is a bad trade for MTL are still denying that we need to rebuild (and that it's actually the plan that management have decided upon) and think that it's a bad trade because it doesn't make us contenders NEXT YEAR. Seriously you guys, we ARE going to be bad at least next year and maybe even the next one or two. I know, it's restarting from the beginning, but that's where were at. There's not really a way we'll benefit from the good years of our veterans, unfortunately (Most likely than not, at least).

We are going young. We are going with prospects. We are going with picks.
That's (unfortunately) the best way to go. With any luck, we'll go the same way the Leafs did to assemble the amazing young team they have right now.

If it's about rebuilding then all we got in return for that cap space was a couple very late picks which isn't a great return. So clearly Armia was a target by Bergevin, and if we are rebuilding why is a 25 year old 3rd liner a target?

That said, there's a chance we can turn around and flip Armia either in the coming days or during the season and get the "real" rebuilding return. I can even see a situation where that maximizes value if we play Armia in the top-6. But I doubt that's Bergevin's plan.

Reactions: DAChampion

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
If we're rebuilding, why are Price, Weber and Patches still here?
After a horrible season . Getting shut out a record amount of times. Worst road record in the league. Out of play off contention in November. With a team that has won 1 round in the last 4 years..............

MB has to show and play the rebuild card to save his job.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Trades like these could help the present and future, you can't just make one big flashy trade and turn the team into an automatic contender. Armia has a lot of skill and could thrive in a bigger role. He could be a more productive version of Eller (pre-2018 SC).

The Domi-Chuky deal and this deal likely both improve the team and it's character over the next few years. Chuky might end up being a better player but he wasn't putting out his potential and you can only give a guy so many chances. Domi looks like he's pumped to be here and I don't recall Chuky ever showing such charisma and excitement at any point of his time on the habs.

The only way to turn our fortunes around in a big way at this point is to build from 3-4 quality drafts along with some minor changes to the team itself and it seems that is their current plan.

Fact is great teams are going to do the same. Nobody is waiting for the Canadiens to catch up.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

That is not a new or unique plan.

The GM cant pull that off.

Team is f***ed until he is relinquished of duties.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
After a horrible season . Getting shut out a record amount of times. Worst road record in the league. Out of play off contention in November. With a team that has won 1 round in the last 4 years..............

MB has to show and play the rebuild card to save his job.

Has Bergevin mentionned anything about rebuilding yet? Has he done anything that would hint at a rebuild?

I just don't see it. Things might change fast, but for now, we're clearly not rebuilding.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Has Bergevin mentionned anything about rebuilding yet? Has he done anything that would hint at a rebuild?

I just don't see it. Things might change fast, but for now, we're clearly not rebuilding.

No. We all know he should have long ago. But you can bet your house on this......he will play the rebuild card when he has to in order to save his job. He will also sell it to Molson and he himself will be in charge of the rebuild. :laugh:

MB will be ruining this team for years to come with a kind of hatchet rebuild job only he and his cronies are capable of. :baghead:

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
A) i was talking about Karlsson in Vegas
B) armia is coming into his 6th pro year

He spent a while in the AHL. I’m glad you love the trade. To me it’s insig just like the Shaw Trade
He’s s decent 3td line winger
But for Shaw, we traded 2 2nds. Many fans had pegged Girard (we'd been following him all year and thought he'd drop to the 2nd because of size) with that pick. He'd be our #2d.
And the gorges 2nd rnd looked good for getting Debrincat, a small guy , who everyone thought was a product of playing with mcdavid , but scores 50 without him again.

Armia was free. We'll, literally 4m, not free, but we weren't using that space.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

One honest chance would've been nice

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
One honest chance would've been nice
Chuk played over 400 games. If a guy isn't giving his max effort in making himself a better player on and off the ice then why should they stand by him?
And to all saying the Habs "helped" Winnipeg in getting Stastny back and therefore hurt their own chances of getting him, that was evidently and thankfully not in the plan anyway. Bringing back Plekanec is another sign that they are going to retool with their young centres coming up through the system. A full rebuild doesn't need to happen and doesn't always work out as planned so there is no harm in working your young talent in while still holding guys like Price, Weber. As the cap rises and UFA's get paid, those 2 contracts will look decent as long as each player stays fairly healthy up to 35-37 yrs. Last season doesn't have to be a trend.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

We are going to rebuild on the fly and entertain offers for our assets north of age 30. Aside from Patch, we are not shopping them though.

But this idea that we deplete all our assets and ice a very bad team purposely is not happening IMO. I think we will try to acquire picks and prospects but I also think we still try to sneak into the playoffs

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

The Domi-Chuky deal and this deal likely both improve the team and it's character
over the next few years. Chuky might end up being a better player but he wasn't putting out his potential and you can only give a guy so many chances. Domi looks like he's pumped to be here and I don't recall Chuky ever showing such charisma and excitement at any point of his time on the habs.

why are you saying this ?? did I ever say something similar to this ?? do you remember one single poster saying something like that ??

the search for character is how MB burned this team to the ground, yet you think this "character trade" will improve the team ??

thanks for trying to teach me something I already know.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Am not a poster on this fourm but saw on another fourm that some people on here are trashing Armia . Tell you what , give him a half year then you can trash him all you want but i bet you won't .
He is a very servisable 3rd liner can penalty kill great puck possesion player and reasonable physical . You guys got him to take on and then buy out Mason . He's a good player trust me you won't be disappointed

Reactions: aresknights

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Chuk played over 400 games. If a guy isn't giving his max effort in making himself a better player on and off the ice then why should they stand by him?
And to all saying the Habs "helped" Winnipeg in getting Stastny back and therefore hurt their own chances of getting him, that was evidently and thankfully not in the plan anyway. Bringing back Plekanec is another sign that they are going to retool with their young centres coming up through the system. A full rebuild doesn't need to happen and doesn't always work out as planned so there is no harm in working your young talent in while still holding guys like Price, Weber. As the cap rises and UFA's get paid, those 2 contracts will look decent as long as each player stays fairly healthy up to 35-37 yrs. Last season doesn't have to be a trend.

What does any of this have to do with my post? You said they gave Galchenyuk plenty of chances, but they didn't. Every time they gave him a chance in his natural position where he's had the most success they yanked it away from him as soon as they could. And to top it off the reasons given were either straight out lies like when Therrien claimed he asked for it or for reasons that only applied to him and not his replacements Desharnais/Drouin.

Reactions: groovejuice

Jul 6, 2016
What does any of this have to do with my post? You said they gave Galchenyuk plenty of chances, but they didn't. Every time they gave him a chance in his natural position where he's had the most success they yanked it away from him as soon as they could. And to top it off the reasons given were either straight out lies like when Therrien claimed he asked for it or for reasons that only applied to him and not his replacements Desharnais/Drouin.

therrien never coached Drouin.

Therrien is the one who gave full time #1 center positon to Galchy at the end of the 2015-16 season and the beginning of 2016-17 (with Patches and Radulov) season until he was injured. Galchy came back totally out of shape after his injury. Therrien was fired. Julien put him back on LW. End of story.

Reactions: aresknights

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
therrien never coached Drouin.

Therrien is the one who gave full time #1 center positon to Galchy at the end of the 2015-16 season and the beginning of 2016-17 (with Patches and Radulov) season until he was injured. Galchy came back totally out of shape after his injury. Therrien was fired. Julien put him back on LW. End of story.

Never said Therrien coached Drouin, I said he lied about Galchenyuk wanting to move back to wing which he did.

Many time Therrien gave Galchenyuk a shot at center only to take it away shortly afterwards, usually because Desharnais was struggling. And the reasons given were mostly lack of effort and poor defensive play. Those are the hallmarks of Desharnais during his time under Therrien. Galchenyuk lasted something like 2 games at center with Julien, and was put on wing due to poor defensive play, yet that never stopped Julien sticking with Drouin for the whole season.

If you lose your spot at the slightest bit of trouble then then it's not a real shot. A real shot is what we've given Drouin, we stuck with him even though he struggled at times.

Reactions: groovejuice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad