Confirmed with Link: Habs Acquire Joel Armia, Steve Mason, 2019 7th & 2020 4th for Simon Bourque

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This kid kind or reminds me of John Leclair. I hope he busts out at age 25 like Leclair as well! He is a big body that has some goal scoring ability and has not had opportunity in a top 6 NHL role yet. Leclair was a 0.50 pts/game player prior to the trade to the Flyers but boy did he ever bust out from age 25-30 when he started to get more ice time and opportunity.

Not saying Armia will turn into a Leclair but they have similar size and style of game IMO. And both players are changing teams at the age of 25 where Armia stands to get more ice time, just like Leclair did when he went to the Flyers.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
This kid kind or reminds me of John Leclair. I hope he busts out at age 25 like Leclair as well! He is a big body that has some goal scoring ability and has not had opportunity in a top 6 NHL role yet. Leclair was a 0.50 pts/game player prior to the trade to the Flyers but boy did he ever bust out from age 25-30 when he started to get more ice time and opportunity.

Not saying Armia will turn into a Leclair but they have similar size and style of game IMO. And both players are changing teams at the age of 25 where Armia stands to get more ice time, just like Leclair did when he went to the Flyers.
LeClair didn't truly break out until he was playing on a line with Lindros and Renberg. With today's Habs, Armia will likely be playing with Plekanec and Deslauriers. There's no break-out happening there.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
LeClair didn't truly break out until he was playing on a line with Lindros and Renberg. With today's Habs, Armia will likely be playing with Plekanec and Deslauriers. There's no break-out happening there.

Well, I'm not baking on Armia busting out into a pt/game player either. However, why staple him to Pleky and Deslauriers? Why not try him with better talent in the top 6 or top 9? I have no idea why you think he is automatically a 4th line player. It's weird.

Say what you want to say but these are my lines without Patch. And I don't care if you think Gallagher plays "3rd line". There is no top line and we have 3 #3 lines to be used in different situations. Arguably you can say we have 4- #3 lines.

Domi / Drouin / Armia
Lehkonen / Danault / Scherbak
Byron / Pleky / Gallagher
Hudon / DLR / Shaw

Deslauriers, Peca

If you are purposely going to limit Armia ice time and bury him on a the 4th line, then yeah, I guess there will be no break-out happening.

Last edited:

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Deslaurier is Montreal's 9th best winger (not including Drouin), Armia is probably the 2nd best right shot winger on the roster. I'm not sure why Julien will play Deslaurier more than he did last year.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Man I remember when big John was winding up a great season for Montreal, and I loved watching him out there. He beat the shit out of a couple of Sabres near the end of the year , and he was starting to get a nose for the net. I thought, 'no way they trade this stud', then voila. We need another Johnny LeClair.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Man I remember when big John was winding up a great season for Montreal, and I loved watching him out there. He beat the **** out of a couple of Sabres near the end of the year , and he was starting to get a nose for the net. I thought, 'no way they trade this stud', then voila. We need another Johnny LeClair.

I can see Armia being a very good player for us in the next 5 years. We got him at a perfect time IMO. I expect him to produce from age 25-30. He has the tools and size to be successful. All he needs is more ice time and opportunity which he will get with the Habs

Reactions: HKbleu

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I can see Armia being a very good player for us in the next 5 years. We got him at a perfect time IMO. I expect him to produce from age 25-30. He has the tools and size to be successful. All he needs is more ice time and opportunity which he will get with the Habs

Lets hope so!

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I expect both Plekanec and Deslauriers to wind up on the second line (well, Pleks at the very least)

I know people like to trash Julien and liken him to Therrien, but apart from coming to the reasonable conclusion that DLR isn't great, he's been fine with how he plays guys. He didn't play Deslaurier much last season and had Plekanec as 3rd line guy, I'm not sure why that will magically change this season.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Why are you writing that kind of stuff..... ? You know darn well it won't happen.
I know darn well that Plekanec won't be our #2 center? Really? With this coach? Please. The only way Pleks doesn't become our #2 center next season is if he becomes our #1 center instead. Anyone who thinks that Julien is going to limit his minutes is delusional. He will be Julien's most-utilized forward. Take it to the bank.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I know people like to trash Julien and liken him to Therrien, but apart from coming to the reasonable conclusion that DLR isn't great, he's been fine with how he plays guys. He didn't play Deslaurier much last season and had Plekanec as 3rd line guy, I'm not sure why that will magically change this season.

f*** no, I couldn't disagree more, can't f***ing stand what he's done with the players. Putting Scherbak with waivers Shaw, DLR with Galchenyuk, not playing Carr, Jerabek, DLR when it was clear the season was lost. f*** him, can't wait till he's fired.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
**** no, I couldn't disagree more, can't ****ing stand what he's done with the players. Putting Scherbak with waivers Shaw, DLR with Galchenyuk, not playing Carr, Jerabek, DLR when it was clear the season was lost. **** him, can't wait till he's fired.

Who was Scherbak going to take a spot from? Jerabek was traded, but not playing him wasn't a massive deal. Carr I didn't like, but Montreal had a lot of decent wingers (and still does).

And I'm confused, are you complaining that he played DLR up the line-up with Galchenyuk (getting more playing time) and that he didn't play DLR up the line-up?

There are exactly zero coaches that will play players the way fans will like. But there was no egregious mess ups like under Therrien.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Who was Scherbak going to take a spot from? Jerabek was traded, but not playing him wasn't a massive deal. Carr I didn't like, but Montreal had a lot of decent wingers (and still does).

And I'm confused, are you complaining that he played DLR up the line-up with Galchenyuk (getting more playing time) and that he didn't play DLR up the line-up?

There are exactly zero coaches that will play players the way fans will like. But there was no egregious mess ups like under Therrien.

Scherbak needs to be with guys that can convert his passes, if you put him with no talent grinders, what's the point of even playing him. He saw time with Galchenyuk and that's where he should have stayed, we had nothing to lose in seeing what kind of offensive production he would be able to do with one of our best shooters.

Of course it's not a massive deal that he didn't play Jerabek, that's not the point. The point is he chose to sit a younger player with skill over turds like Benn, Alzner, Schlemko. He should have played Jerabek every game to see what he had, it's not like Benn was going to suddenly turn into a skilled blueliner.

We couldn't score goals yet Carr was producing almost at the level of Byron with limited TOI and skilled players. He was a younger guy that was producing, he should have been playing every game.

DLR should have been playing more on the 4th line earlier on but not with Galchenyuk, who should be with a playmaker to set him up.

Julien sucks, his team sucks and he needs to be fired imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->