GDT: Habs @ Abs | 7pm MT | The ONLY Emergency GDT

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Chance to move into 1st in the west, and they lay an egg. Of the Avs last 10 games, 7 are vs playoff teams, 2 vs MIN who always plays us hard, and CBJ. Be lucky to get home ice in the 1st round.
I mean this loss sucks but we're 9-1 in the last 10, let's not overreact here.

Reactions: Vk1ing

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Chance to move into 1st in the west, and they lay an egg. Of the Avs last 10 games, 7 are vs playoff teams, 2 vs MIN who always plays us hard, and CBJ. Be lucky to get home ice in the 1st round.
At this rate the Avs might prefer Winnipeg given how bad that team has looked since the ASG. The Oilers skated circles around them tonight.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Definitely too much passing around the perimeter of the ice tonight too.

Drouin - MacKinnon - Nichushkin
Lehkonen - Mitts - Rants

This is the combination I’d like to see, though I think it’s the one Bednar likes the least, because we’ve hardly seen it.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I just think everyone had an off game, no one could consistently make or receive a pass. Looked like they weren’t taking the game seriously and when things didn’t just fall in place they couldn’t get it into gear.

Like I said previously, games like this are good prior to the playoffs. Stark reminder that you can’t just flick the switch every time

Yep, they got away with one against the Pens, this is a strong reminder for them that they can't sleepwalk through half a game and expect to win. I think we see a much better effort on Thursday.

Reactions: CobraAcesS
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

If they struggle that hard in the stretch run then it doesn’t mean good things for the playoffs when every team is a playoff team. If anything, that’s what you want so you’re going into the playoffs ready for battle.

I’d like to see Beds try these lines:
Drouin-MacK-Nuke
Lehky-Mitts-Rants

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Definitely too much passing around the perimeter of the ice tonight too.

Drouin - MacKinnon - Nichushkin
Lehkonen - Mitts - Rants

This is the combination I’d like to see, though I think it’s the one Bednar likes the least, because we’ve hardly seen it.
It's truly perplexing, as it seems obvious and will likely work beautitfully.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Welcome to playoff style hockey boys.

A solid goaltender will stymie occasionally. And a tight close in defense will frustrate.

It happens. So take advantage of the opportunity to tune up your game for round 1.

P.S. I thought Mittlestadt was back playing for Buffalo again tonight. Not impressed with his conditioning. (Suzuki shook him off at the blue line to tie the game in the 1st.)

And Makar was not the brightest standout on the Avs D. I really don't think he should win the Norris this season because his overall defensive game (in his own zone) has not been outstanding.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Nuke is almost a PPG winger. I wouldn't really call him a defensive forward. He's a 2 way power forward.
Yeah I agree with that but he and Lehk play similar game. None of them have shoot first, pass first or playmaking mentality. While it’s still the regular season I think it would be better to shuffle lines there and not in the playoffs if/when Drouin-Mack-Rants stop working.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I also wonder if Makar is using a new stick or a new flex or what. Because he is bobbling the puck an insane amount the last several weeks.
I've been speculating that he's got a hand injury in there somewhere. He has not been stellar in gaining initial puck possession and control.

Yeah I agree with that but he and Lehk play similar game. None of them have shoot first, pass first or playmaking mentality. While it’s still the regular season I think it would be better to shuffle lines there and not in the playoffs if/when Drouin-Mack-Rants stop working.
I would have adjusted the lines. But you know Bednar....

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Meh. Avs didn’t put in a great effort and let the Habs dictate this game after around midway through the second. Give the Habs credit, they did a good job of disrupting passing lanes and seemingly won EVERY puck battle. Avs had plenty of chances to really swing momentum but never put it together after that garbage third power play.

Annunen was not the primary reason they lost but…he really needed to have the two goals he let in. Oh well, I’m not about to blame him when the entire team in front of him was just plain awful tonight.

Somewhat growing concern about Nichushkin, who’s been bad for a few games now and was positively dreadful tonight. Soft, slow, and just plain clumsy with the puck.

Anyway, I’m not that worried. Avs kinda needed a wake up call after getting away with one against the Pens.
Yes. I am concerned about Nuke as well. He's a shell of his former self from a few games back. Classic boom or bust. It's like the adrenaline shot finally wore off.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
And Makar was not the brightest standout on the Avs D. I really don't think he should win the Norris this season because his overall defensive game (in his own zone) has not been outstanding.
Makar shouldnt be on the ballot let alone win it lol. Quinn Hughes is the best dman in hockey. Makar hasnt been good since that amazing November.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
The thing that irks me the most outside the effort tonight, is Rantanen.

Dude makes way too much f***ing money to miss the net with basically every shot. At least least hit the net. He alone blew 4 grade A chances, and on top of it didn't even hit the net once on any of those chances. The closest was the post shot in the 1st.

There isn't another top 10 winger that would have blown all the those chances tonight. And I guarantee that they'd at minimum hit the net and make the goalie make a save.

96s play this season has worn thin. He needs to get his shit together. Guy gets to play with 29 every night and is like 25 points behind him because he can't do shit right this year. If he was playing with anyone other than 29 he'd be like a 60 pts 9M player.

Also the same can be said with Makar. He's just garbage he looks like a trash can who hits more shin pads than EJ, skates slower than RyJo most of the time, and handles the puck like a hand grenade. Not sure what his issue is but it's not good. He claims not to be hurt, but our teams sake I hope he is just lying.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Yup. Jared deserved that L like his players.
In that Q&A that Guerilla sports posted with Bednar from the other night, the very first question and answer had Bednar explaining that the game is basically getting the team to playing the system as early as possible.

I hope he's asking himself what he could've done differently to help them tonight. Because after 10 minutes it should have been JD-Nate-Lehky/Nuke. I know everyone loves Rants stapled to MacKinnon and I actually prefer him there, but I wouldn't break up JD and Nate first because JD is absolutely dirt cheap but much more effective with Nate, in my opinion so for the benefit to the team I try to keep them together the most. Nate and Mikko would still get plenty of time together on the PP. Mitts is a playmaker. Give him Nuke to relentless help him defensively pursue the puck and then just allow Mitts to concentrate on being a defensively responsible center that should be able to capitalize on his playmaking with the third and fourth best shots. (I think both MacKinnon and Makar are better shots than Rants and Nuke).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad