GDT: Habs @ Abs | 7pm MT | The ONLY Emergency GDT

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Bruv, this is the Canadiens, they are the Coyotes of the East. Coyotes dominated us when Avs won the Cup. This is a nothing game against a nothing opponent.
Stealing this from Foppa2118 : "Really though, the Habs deserve credit for this one. They played a very hard game, blocked a ton of shots, and Montembleau was great. They deserved the win."

Absolutely correct. StLouis took a playoffs style approach to defending the Avs last night and it worked.

Avs contributed by taking their foot off the gas slightly and Bednar not adjusting.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I get why it is being done, but dear god I wish Makar was 2nd unit PK at best.
He is ineffective, or at least not noticeably impactful, and burns a ton of energy while being so.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Mitts has been skating at 100% every shift since he came to Denver, trying to play at the Avs pace on the rush, while still back checking as hard as possible. I've been wondering if that's sustainable for him.

Too early to tell, but the playoffs will be a big test for him, because the increased physicality will sap even more energy, and there's not much room for error.

Agree on Cale. His defense has been off all year. Haven't watched Hughes enough to know how he's played defensively, but so far I think Cale deserved to win the Norris more last year, than this year.
Mitts was a half step behind last night. Suzuki blasted past him on his scoring play. Casey was chasing most of the evening.
He's trying hard here.... no RyJo no effort type of play.... but he's hit a wall last night.

And not being used correctly between Nuke and Lehky.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I'm just surprised at how few of the Canadiens I recognise. Who the f*** is Matheson and why is he wearing a letter?

• Haha

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
I believe he was referring to one of the PA-mandated days off, meaning they didn’t practice. And the team does considerably worse after extended breaks than they do under heavy workloads. I mean, look at how they played right after the All-Star break.

Thanks, yeah I think it was definitely the bolded that he was talking about.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Drouin - MacKinnon - Nichushkin

- Jo/MacK chemistry, Drouin can be the playmaker and MacK gets to shoot a ton. Nuke provides the heavy game and two-way ability.

Lehkonen - Mittelstadt - Rantanen

- Mitts to be Rants’ playmaker, Lehky the 2 way guy. Probably our slowest line but they compliment each other well.

Wood - Colton - Duhaime

- North/South line. Duhaime and Wood crashing and banging, Colton also protected defensively as Duhaime is quite good in our own zone.

Parise - Trenin - Cogliano

- The old guys cycling and grinding, Trenin providing the meat to their potatoes.

Just give it a try, Beds.

This is pretty much everything I’d like to see.

The only change I’d like to see is Parise on the 3rd line and Wood on the 4th. Time to separate those two.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Man I think people are being harsh... the Avs just didn't have any finishing ability last night and some braindead mistakes did them in. Between the posts and a missed open net opportunity, there could have easily been 2-3 more goals for the Avs last night. And while Annunen played good enough, that first goal was atrocious and he was leaky all night. With all the mistakes and zero finishing, it at worst should have went to OT. On a normal night, that's still a 3 or 4-1 Avs win.

People are exceedingly harsh on the 2nd line. They didn't have a great night, but how bad is being greatly exaggerated. Mitts should have had a goal on the open net. He also had a dust off chance that he should have just shot right away to the low right pad on a rebound play. His play on Suzuki was soft and bad (credit to Suzuki though and people underrate how strong on his skates he is). But that shot should be saved 95+% of the time. It was a bad night for Mitts, but if that is his worst... it'll be just fine. Yet that line in 9 minutes only gave up 3 shot attempts and 2 shots. Both of the shots stemmed from dumb mistakes that are correctable (one by the Walker pairing). Beyond that, they basically gave up nothing defensively. If you include that, you're talking a per of ~19-20 shot attempts and ~13-14 shots in a game. If that level of defense is played consistently, even with the mistakes, you'll win a shitton of games. The top line dominated on the ice, but again, their goal against was a soft play in the defensive zone behind the net that lead to a shot where Annunen let something leak through that ended in a scramble. Still the top line was very close on a lot of plays and controlled the game.

IMO the Avs played the game like they thought they could win without any physical effort. Just reach with sticks and poke around instead of battling... and they probably should have still won. This is just a simple wakeup game that happens at the end of winning streaks when teams get complacent. The coaches will have a good amount of film to stress on the details.

Also the Avs need to tone down on playing the first PP unit so much. There was one instance where the top line and pairing was out there for over a minute prior to a penalty, then they stayed out the whole two minutes on the PP. It was over a 3 minute shift for everyone but Nuke. I think MacK and Rants were out there for nearly 4 minutes. I don't care who it is, that long of a shift even on the PP for most of it, is going to lead to it being stagnant. We wonder why they don't move around much and just pass-pass-pass... a 4 minute shift will do that to anybody.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
If you lose the Art Ross Mack, look at this game because Kucherov would've had like 6 points tonight against a shit team like this.
Great scorers not scoring against shitty teams happens all the time. Kucherov didn't even score one point against the Ducks last Sunday and the Ducks are a worst team than the Habs.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Man I think people are being harsh... the Avs just didn't have any finishing ability last night and some braindead mistakes did them in. Between the posts and a missed open net opportunity, there could have easily been 2-3 more goals for the Avs last night. And while Annunen played good enough, that first goal was atrocious and he was leaky all night. With all the mistakes and zero finishing, it at worst should have went to OT. On a normal night, that's still a 3 or 4-1 Avs win.

People are exceedingly harsh on the 2nd line. They didn't have a great night, but how bad is being greatly exaggerated. Mitts should have had a goal on the open net. He also had a dust off chance that he should have just shot right away to the low right pad on a rebound play. His play on Suzuki was soft and bad (credit to Suzuki though and people underrate how strong on his skates he is). But that shot should be saved 95+% of the time. It was a bad night for Mitts, but if that is his worst... it'll be just fine. Yet that line in 9 minutes only gave up 3 shot attempts and 2 shots. Both of the shots stemmed from dumb mistakes that are correctable (one by the Walker pairing). Beyond that, they basically gave up nothing defensively. If you include that, you're talking a per of ~19-20 shot attempts and ~13-14 shots in a game. If that level of defense is played consistently, even with the mistakes, you'll win a shitton of games. The top line dominated on the ice, but again, their goal against was a soft play in the defensive zone behind the net that lead to a shot where Annunen let something leak through that ended in a scramble. Still the top line was very close on a lot of plays and controlled the game.

IMO the Avs played the game like they thought they could win without any physical effort. Just reach with sticks and poke around instead of battling... and they probably should have still won. This is just a simple wakeup game that happens at the end of winning streaks when teams get complacent. The coaches will have a good amount of film to stress on the details.

Also the Avs need to tone down on playing the first PP unit so much. There was one instance where the top line and pairing was out there for over a minute prior to a penalty, then they stayed out the whole two minutes on the PP. It was over a 3 minute shift for everyone but Nuke. I think MacK and Rants were out there for nearly 4 minutes. I don't care who it is, that long of a shift even on the PP for most of it, is going to lead to it being stagnant. We wonder why they don't move around much and just pass-pass-pass... a 4 minute shift will do that to anybody.

I’d agree here. It’s just disappointing because it was free points given away against a bad hockey club.

The effort level, was there a little bit, but not to the usual standard obviously.

The execution was nowhere to be seen. Pretty much everybody was making weird puck decisions and couldn’t execute the little plays they normally do.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
In the end, it's better to lose to a shitty team on a lacklustre effort in this part of the season, than lose to another top team (be it after a good or a bad effort).

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The goals Justus let in were way worse than "not great"...

The motherf***er didn't even move on the first one. Didn't attempt to make a save, just left his 5-hole right open. That's unacceptable.

The second one, what the f*** was he doing, posing for a magazine spread? He might've saved the rest of the shots he faced, but those two were gimme saves and he f***ed it all up.
Overreaction? I'll give you the first goal. That was weird. He didn't even move on the shot. I'm wondering if Suzuki shot the puck when Annunen was looking at the corner of his eyes to see where the other Habs player was in anticipation of a pass. Regardless that was really bad.

On the 2nd goal...posing for a magazine spread? Really? He did what any other goalie does when he thinks he has the puck squeezed in between his arm and body: he was waiting for the whistle. It squeezed out. You would like for him to have that one back but it happens.

The good thing is he settled in and shot them down the rest of the game and gave them a chance to come back and win. The offense was just not there last night.

IMO Bednar was much more to blame for that loss. I see why he is trying to force the Lehky-Mitts-Nuke line. It could be the best shutdown line in hockey. Unfortunately Lehky and Nuke together have zero chemistry offensively. I'm OK with putting this line together when we have the lead and play them against the other team's best line but when we are behind and need a goal or two that line is a bad call by the coach. Especially when in the previous two games we had lines that were dominating the other team and scoring.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
One of the most YOLO offensive dmen in the league lol
His skating is one of the best in the league and would probably do well with the Avs TBH.

Matheson got an 8 year contract from Florida out of his ELC purely based on potential but never really overplayed that contract. His story reminds me of Girard's.

He's also famous for this @Pokecheque

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida

I just get pissed off but you're right. At the end of the day, we probably win that game more often than not. Last night was just the one that got away.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

It wasn't a stellar night for anyone, including Bednar. Didn't like his lineup decisions last night.

Avs absolutely dominated the overall shot share but this is one instance where it doesn't jive with the eye test (at least at first glance). Felt like they lost nearly every puck battle. There was one moment I wanted to scream at the TV (actually I DID scream at the TV) because Manson mashed Newhook into the boards behind the net, Newhook fell down but still managed to make a play. Give him credit...I thought he played pretty well, thought for sure he was going to score on one of the three power plays to finish the game, and he very nearly did.

The third line of Wood-Colton-Parise got their frickin' doors blown in, and the fourth line/third pairing didn't fare much better. Top six were much better in that department, though I'm not about to say they played well overall.

I'm not that concerned (though the continued play of Colton, Wood, and now Nichushkin has me a little wary at this point), the best of teams shit the bed every now and then. Happened with all three Cup teams. Hopefully this is just a wakeup call to get them back on track. I can't help but think though that this team really struggles after extended time off. Never fails. You'd think a team that skates as much as they do would be thrown off way more on back-to-backs, but that's the case, the opposite is true.

Should be noted that Nuke played just over 10 minutes last night. So even Bednar seems to know something is up. I'm hoping it's not health-related and he's just in a funk.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
It wasn't a stellar night for anyone, including Bednar. Didn't like his lineup decisions last night.

Avs absolutely dominated the overall shot share but this is one instance where it doesn't jive with the eye test (at least at first glance). Felt like they lost nearly every puck battle. There was one moment I wanted to scream at the TV (actually I DID scream at the TV) because Manson mashed Newhook into the boards behind the net, Newhook fell down but still managed to make a play. Give him credit...I thought he played pretty well, thought for sure he was going to score on one of the three power plays to finish the game, and he very nearly did.

The third line of Wood-Colton-Parise got their frickin' doors blown in, and the fourth line/third pairing didn't fare much better. Top six were much better in that department, though I'm not about to say they played well overall.

I'm not that concerned (though the continued play of Colton, Wood, and now Nichushkin has me a little wary at this point), the best of teams shit the bed every now and then. Happened with all three Cup teams. Hopefully this is just a wakeup call to get them back on track. I can't help but think though that this team really struggles after extended time off. Never fails. You'd think a team that skates as much as they do would be thrown off way more on back-to-backs, but that's the case, the opposite is true.

Should be noted that Nuke played just over 10 minutes last night. So even Bednar seems to know something is up. I'm hoping it's not health-related and he's just in a funk.
I'm pretty sure he played 17+ minutes.
1000031728.jpg

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm pretty sure he played 17+ minutes.
View attachment 842309

Oh shit, my bad. Don't know why I typed that. For some reason got him and Wood mixed up...:dunno: Both he and Colton only got 10 minutes last night. That's Ryan Johansen usage, and they got KILLED every time they took the ice, in a game where the overall shot share overwhelmingly favored the home team. That's...not good.

Also, I'm calling it now:

Joel Kiviranta gets the GWG in Game 7 of the Avs/Stars Bubble playoff series, ends up on the Avs.

Joonas Korpisalo gets the GWG in Game 7 of the Avs/Sharks playoff series, ends up on the Avs.

Joel Armia gets the GWG in both regular season games against the Avs to sweep the season series..........

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Agree, but wasn't that more Mittelstadt's horrible defense that lead to the goal?
Yes, there was a horrid defensive breakdown prior, but Justice didn't even react to an unobstructed shot taken from distance. He wasn't beaten, he refused to participate.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
And not being used correctly between Nuke and Lehky.
Technically that should be a fantastic line that absolutely dominates both ends of the ice and never, ever loses the puck, but it also lacks a definitive finisher.

I think it would be wildly effective IF Nichushkin were playing at the height of his powers. But he's been really off the past handful of games and it showed last night.

I've said before that I just don't like Nuke and Lehks on the same line. It shifts Nuke to the right side and I think he's WAY more effective on the left, and it just doubles down on two players who more or less do the same thing, and the aforementioned lack of finish from those two.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
We see time after time, teams that cruise into playoffs on win streaks without facing adversity, have tougher time in the playoffs when they do face adversity and have to adjust. Few more losses like this won’t be a bad thing as long as they don’t go on long losing streak.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Agree, but wasn't that more Mittelstadt's horrible defense that lead to the goal?
I stated that in the post. ;)

Both are at fault, but Annunen should have had that. It was a pretty routine save and that's what a goalie is for. Mitts screwed up though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad