GDT: Habs @ Abs | 7pm MT | The ONLY Emergency GDT

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Welcome to playoff style hockey boys.

A solid goaltender will stymie occasionally. And a tight close in defense will frustrate.

It happens. So take advantage of the opportunity to tune up your game for round 1.

P.S. I thought Mittlestadt was back playing for Buffalo again tonight. Not impressed with his conditioning. (Suzuki shook him off at the blue line to tie the game in the 1st.)

And Makar was not the brightest standout on the Avs D. I really don't think he should win the Norris this season because his overall defensive game (in his own zone) has not been outstanding.
Bruv, this is the Canadiens, they are the Coyotes of the East. Coyotes dominated us when Avs won the Cup. This is a nothing game against a nothing opponent.

If this loss means beating NY, I’ll take it
Life and sports do not work that way.

I also wonder if Makar is using a new stick or a new flex or what. Because he is bobbling the puck an insane amount the last several weeks.
Omg, I was going to come in here and post the exact same thing! His stickhandling has gone to Duncan Siemens level bad, it has been really disappointing to watch.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Really weird comment from Bednar after this one…

“I don’t like our team after full days off.”

I’m not sure what he means by that. I know the Avs are weirdly great on the second half of back-to-backs, but there’s days off between pretty much all games. So he almost never likes his team?

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

I’m not sure what he means by that. I know the Avs are weirdly great on the second half of back-to-backs, but there’s days off between pretty much all games. So he almost never likes his team?
They were all drunk tonight including Bednar. But maybe he meant days off without practice?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don’t blame Bednar for not breaking up Nate and Mikko. They were by far the best line tonight. If they were gonna tie it, it was probably gonna be that line. Messing with that would have been a mistake.

Thought Drouin looked great. Should have had a couple points. Mikko was very dangerous too. Probably the two best Avs in this one.

Thought Wood had a good game as well. Bednar should have played that line more. Only 10-11 minutes for all three. Wouldn’t be surprised if Parise might have potted a big goal.

Mitt’s line wasn’t great. Mitt’s too many turnovers and some poor defense getting out muscled on the goal. Just like Cale, I’d like to see him simplify his game as well. If the fancy play is there, then make it, but it doesn’t need to be made every time, because it’s been leading to turnovers and passes off the mark that kill the rush a bit too often.

Walker with two really bad penalties in the third. First one he’s too focused on fleeing the zone to join the rush he loses his man, gives up a breakaway, and has to take a hooking penalty. Than a bad 4 minute high stick basically kills there rest of the game.

Annunen not good enough. Not the kind of play that leads to optimism for that one way contract extension he got. Still the Avs should have been able to score more than one goal.

The dudes in Avs jerseys sitting behind the Habs bench making heart gestures at St Louis all game and giving him thumbs up for the win should have been forced to turn their jerseys over at the exit.

Really though, the Habs deserve credit for this one. They played a very hard game, blocked a ton of shots, and Montembleau was great. They deserved the win.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Drouin - MacKinnon - Nichushkin

- Jo/MacK chemistry, Drouin can be the playmaker and MacK gets to shoot a ton. Nuke provides the heavy game and two-way ability.

Lehkonen - Mittelstadt - Rantanen

- Mitts to be Rants’ playmaker, Lehky the 2 way guy. Probably our slowest line but they compliment each other well.

Wood - Colton - Duhaime

- North/South line. Duhaime and Wood crashing and banging, Colton also protected defensively as Duhaime is quite good in our own zone.

Parise - Trenin - Cogliano

- The old guys cycling and grinding, Trenin providing the meat to their potatoes.

Just give it a try, Beds.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I thought he meant when they get an extra day off, but that wasn't the case tonight. He's talked about it before and so has Nate. They really like playing every other day. The team feeds off confidence and rhythm.

IMO it's part of why they had that losing streak post all star break, and we've seen it other times as well, like when they had those extra days off in the Vegas series and lost a bit of their mojo.

JustPenalties

Jan 17, 2024
2GAA .926 save percentage. "It was the goalie!!!!!" f*** off. That was the coach and his BS pride. Also the f***ing PP coach that continues to never change anything.
I was just going to say the same. Sure, the goals Annunen let in werent great, but he did make good saves to compensate. If he would have saved those 2 "bad goals" and just allowed 2 goals on many of those other "more dangerous shots" nobody would complain. It just feels worse when the goals came the way they came. 2GAA definetly gives the team a change to win a hockey game..

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

- Jo/MacK chemistry, Drouin can be the playmaker and MacK gets to shoot a ton. Nuke provides the heavy game and two-way ability.

- Mitts to be Rants’ playmaker, Lehky the 2 way guy. Probably our slowest line but they compliment each other well.

Wood - Colton - Duhaime

- North/South line. Duhaime and Wood crashing and banging, Colton also protected defensively as Duhaime is quite good in our own zone.

- The old guys cycling and grinding, Trenin providing the meat to their potatoes.

Been saying this since the Mittelstadt trade. It's just so obvious for that top six. It's what he did in 2022 only with Kadri instead of Mittelstadt and Landeskog instead of Drouin.

I don't know how many times it needs to be tried until he realizes it but Lehkonen and Nichushkin do not work together. They play the same game and neither guy has the puck skills to be a 2nd cog to Mittelstadt.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
2GAA .926 save percentage. "It was the goalie!!!!!" f*** off. That was the coach and his BS pride. Also the f***ing PP coach that continues to never change anything.
No issues with Annunen. Sure you want him to make that save on Armia or not be leaky or whatever but he only let in 2 goals tonight. Thats usually a decent night for any goalie. If Georgiev only lets in 2 goals the rest of the way in every game and in the playoffs and they are shitty goals the Avs should be ok.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
P.S. I thought Mittlestadt was back playing for Buffalo again tonight. Not impressed with his conditioning. (Suzuki shook him off at the blue line to tie the game in the 1st.)

And Makar was not the brightest standout on the Avs D. I really don't think he should win the Norris this season because his overall defensive game (in his own zone) has not been outstanding.

Mitts has been skating at 100% every shift since he came to Denver, trying to play at the Avs pace on the rush, while still back checking as hard as possible. I've been wondering if that's sustainable for him.

Too early to tell, but the playoffs will be a big test for him, because the increased physicality will sap even more energy, and there's not much room for error.

Agree on Cale. His defense has been off all year. Haven't watched Hughes enough to know how he's played defensively, but so far I think Cale deserved to win the Norris more last year, than this year.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I believe he was referring to one of the PA-mandated days off, meaning they didn’t practice. And the team does considerably worse after extended breaks than they do under heavy workloads. I mean, look at how they played right after the All-Star break.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
It had to be Montreal.....:D

Man, that loss stinks, but here we are..... Maybe the comeback from sunday cost us this game.....

Cant win them all. At least Mac got his point.

Lets see how we react against the Rangers...

Reactions: CobraAcesS

bogglebug

Mar 14, 2024
No issues with Annunen. Sure you want him to make that save on Armia or not be leaky or whatever but he only let in 2 goals tonight. Thats usually a decent night for any goalie. If Georgiev only lets in 2 goals the rest of the way in every game and in the playoffs and they are shitty goals the Avs should be ok.

I don't have an issue with Annunen either, but at the same time one must remember that goals often dictate the direction of a game. I know the Avs are a great comeback team, but sometimes you can't deliver the push needed to accomplish it and this was clearly one of those nights.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida

Wood - Colton - Duhaime

Agreed 100%. That top 6 looks way better and more balanced overall.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia

Yes, it turned out he is closet Detoilet fan. When we won the Cup in 22, it was his worst time ever. Thats why he was crying during his speech on the cup parade day :-D

Reactions: Pokecheque

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Being on the east coast I only saw the 1st period. Goddamn Moose had a wide open net with the goalie caught leaning the other way and he just plain missed by a mile. No excuses for that BS, not at his salary. Certainly not for 7-figures in two years. JFC!

PS- Just beat the f***ing rangers.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
The loss was obviously wacker than a hammer festival, and classic Avs it would be against a bottom feeder team. But I'm not too bothered. It was going to happen eventually. The boys were just off. I think they probably took the game for granted a little. On a 9-game winning streak, against a lowly team. Shit happens. At least Mack's streak continues.

Now reset for the Rangers. Go Avs, destroy the Rags.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Yeah this one was shit but if the boys can regroup and take it to the Rangers, all will be forgiven. I'm still salty at how shit they looked but whatever. Also, fancy stats be damned, I didn't like that Lehkonen-MittelJost-Nuke line as I posted probably like 5 times during the game. @RoyIsALegend 's line combos above look much better IMO. Give it a go Bednar or else we'll be pissed off during next game. Well we'll probably still be pissed off but whatever.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I was just going to say the same. Sure, the goals Annunen let in werent great, but he did make good saves to compensate. If he would have saved those 2 "bad goals" and just allowed 2 goals on many of those other "more dangerous shots" nobody would complain. It just feels worse when the goals came the way they came. 2GAA definetly gives the team a change to win a hockey game..
The goals Justus let in were way worse than "not great"...

The motherf***er didn't even move on the first one. Didn't attempt to make a save, just left his 5-hole right open. That's unacceptable.

The second one, what the f*** was he doing, posing for a magazine spread? He might've saved the rest of the shots he faced, but those two were gimme saves and he f***ed it all up.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I actually think the Avs should load up the first line more, just play Lehky along the left half boards, Drouin hovering along the right half boards, Rants floating for the One-T/tip, Nuke roaming around behind the net and in front of the net, MacK taking over the center of the ice, Mitts as backup, and have Cale and Toews do their thing.

Unfortunately, that also means that we will literally not put anyone out when its Line 2s turn, so there's that.

Reactions: missionAvs

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3