Post-Game Talk: Habs 4, Sens 3 (SO)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What I see is a young guy that is now finding size alone isn't enough.

Zib reaches at times attempting to check with his stick using arm strength. While that may have worked in the past, NHL players in general are too strong and skate through those checks.

Agreed.

I often thought that developing as a "power forward" in Sweden is a bit of a disadvantage since the physicality is lower and will take some time to overcome.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Surprising, he was quite noticeable in that limited ice time.

He was very physical and made some smart plays, however against the fast and quick Montreal forwards his mobility issues were apparent.

Stone's ice time was also likely impacted by the team falling behind, then the 6 minutes shorthanded in the third.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
There was one play in particular where Zibby was coming from behind the Habs' net in pursuit of a Hab, and Subban skated between the 2 and proceed to hook and water-ski behind Z.

:rant:

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
I'm still a little upset at the amount of embellishing done on Montreal's part last night.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
There was one play in particular where Zibby was coming from behind the Habs' net in pursuit of a Hab, and Subban skated between the 2 and proceed to hook and water-ski behind Z.

:rant:

You guys are remembering it wrong.

The only blatant interference I think they missed went like this:

Ottawa dumps the puck in - 1 guy goes in to forecheck. A Montreal defender goes in to grab the puck in the corner.

Subban skates over - grabs our forechecker with his free arm (holding) - and then skates into our forechecker's way.

The Montreal defender skates out with the puck and there's no call on the play.

I'm still not sure how 2 referees missed that - I mean it was blatant, there was no vision problems for either one of them.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm still a little upset at the amount of embellishing done on Montreal's part last night.

Here we go...not you guys too :shakehead

Newsflash: EVERY player, on EVERY team...embellishes penalties.

A few notes from my vantage point on some Sens players.

Silfverberg: He might not ever be as good as Alfie, but you guys have a ready made fascimile with him as soon as Alfie does decide to hang them up

Gryba: been very impressed with his physicality since he's been called up, Sens are going to have a very solid defense for years with EK, Methot, Wiercoch & Gryba.

Alfie: not much more can be said about such a great player, even as a Habs fan, I LOVED his reaction after he scored his goal. Was awesome.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm still not sure how 2 referees missed that - I mean it was blatant, there was no vision problems for either one of them.

Meh, whining about the refs is a Habs fan thing to do.

417 said:

Not every player. I would say every team has a few players, some more than others.

Turris is probably the worst on our team. I think he gets frustrated because he gets a lot of attention. But he's prone to sliding on the ice or waving his arms in the air.

The one that really annoyed me was Galchenyuk. Not that there wasn't a little trip or something, it was the full armed extension to the ice thing that we can do without.

But at the same time, if it works, it's hard to blame the player.

417 said:
A few notes from my vantage point on some Sens players.

Thanks for the info!

Habs have a fast, aggressive team out there that activates their D very well.

If they can keep that pace up, they're going to be tough to play against for any team.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

lol really NyQuil? That's a 'habs fan' thing to do? lol

I don't think i've ever met a fan of any team, in any sport who doesn't complain about officiating lol

BTW - leaving Scotiabank place after the 2-1 shotout win by Ottawa over Montreal a few weeks ago was much easier to deal with after your suggestion, good lookin' out!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Not every player. I would say every team has a few players, some more than others.

Turris is probably the worst on our team. I think he gets frustrated because he gets a lot of attention. But he's prone to sliding on the ice or waving his arms in the air.

The one that really annoyed me was Galchenyuk. Not that there wasn't a little trip or something, it was the full armed extension to the ice thing that we can do without.

But at the same time, if it works, it's hard to blame the player.

Thanks for the info!

Habs have a fast, aggressive team out there that activates their D very well.

If they can keep that pace up, they're going to be tough to play against for any team.

I happen to think the majority of players embellishes penalty calls...especially obstruction/tripping/holding type calls because they want to attract the attention of the officials. It's the same in all sports.

I saw the embellishment by Galchenyuk, I thought for sure they were going to call one of those dive/hooking double penalties. But I guess the ref thought he was reaching for the puck during his 'dive'?

I just don't personally get this obsession with the diving/embellishing, it happens all the time, is this something new to people???

I've NEVER liked the Sens, i've lived in ottawa my entire life and even during the Cup run I think I was the one bitter hockey fan in this city who refused to adopt the Sens as his temporary team.

But this year, I don't know...I happen to catch myself watching alot more sens hockey, partly because I rather enjoy watching EK play as a pure hockey fan, but also because I really admire the work done by MacLean and the influx of players the last 2 years the Sens have had...Murray has really rebuilt this entire organization in a short amount of time. IMO, 3 years ago...things were pretty bleak and today, things look extremely promising.

The King of Town

Jan 26, 2004
Free Country

I thought it was a bit strange that his skates jumped off the ice and kicked back, when the stick was parallel to the ice at chest level.

One of those much-maligned cases where calling both hooking and diving would have been appropriate. Especially when you consider this was late in the third period of a tie game, after the Habs had already gotten two straight power plays.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
lol really NyQuil? That's a 'habs fan' thing to do? lol

I don't think i've ever met a fan of any team, in any sport who doesn't complain about officiating lol

BTW - leaving Scotiabank place after the 2-1 shotout win by Ottawa over Montreal a few weeks ago was much easier to deal with after your suggestion, good lookin' out!

LOL, that one was for all the Habs fan lurkers who like to go back to their board and complain about our PGT.

You're a good sort 417, but we go way back. ;)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Here we go...not you guys too :shakehead

That's...just not true. There's a reason that some teams gain reputations as divers (Montreal, Carolina) it's because they do it with way more frequency than other teams. You can isolate maybe one or two instances for other teams that you can find blatant diving/embellishing but it's pretty much all you see if you watch the Habs. Can't even skate by their players fast without some form of dive.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Sens embellish too. Smith did before Zib's goal.

Every player embellishes. Players try to give their team the best chance to win. We're not getting any moral victories here.

There's a difference between embellishment on a legitimate call that isn't getting noticed, and flat out diving.

However does anyone have a video of Smith's embellishment? I'd like to see it. I do however like that the only answer to the Habs flopping all over the ice is pointing out one instance of embellishment that might have happened on the other side...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That's...just not true. There's a reason that some teams gain reputations as divers (Montreal, Carolina) it's because they do it with way more frequency than other teams. You can isolate maybe one or two instances for other teams that you can find blatant diving/embellishing but it's pretty much all you see if you watch the Habs. Can't even skate by their players fast without some form of dive.

Sorry...I don't buy that.

Whether one team has 5 reknown divers vs another teams 3 reknown divers, does it really make a difference?

Again, the large majority of players embellish penalty calls (and that goes for all sports)...there's just a fine line between what's acceptable and what's not.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Sorry...I don't buy that.

Whether one team has 5 reknown divers vs another teams 3 reknown divers, does it really make a difference?

Again, the large majority of players embellish penalty calls (and that goes for all sports)...there's just a fine line between what's acceptable and what's not.

Don't buy it all you want. I guess everyone and their sister calls the Habs and Canes a bunch of divers because it's a conspiracy against them. It has nothing to do with them actually flopping with a much higher frequency (by far) than any other team out there. Embellishment has always been there (which is why I think it's funny when people talk about flopping in soccer but act as though the NHL is much better because they don't), but it has become much worse and much more noticeable on certain teams.

They need to start cracking down on it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
There's a difference between embellishment on a legitimate call that isn't getting noticed, and flat out diving.

However does anyone have a video of Smith's embellishment? I'd like to see it. I do however like that the only answer to the Habs flopping all over the ice is pointing out one instance of embellishment that might have happened on the other side...

Sorry...not 'trolling' (not even sure what that means btw)

But yes, I thought Galchenyuk embellished on his penalty call yesterday...but i've seen that so many times from so many teams, I just don't see why people get all bent out of shape over it.

Happens all the time...doesn't make it right, but to complain about it like only specific teams do it or do it more often than others is silly IMO.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Don't buy it all you want. I guess everyone and their sister calls the Habs and Canes a bunch of divers because it's a conspiracy against them. It has nothing to do with them actually flopping with a much higher frequency (by far) than any other team out there. Embellishment has always been there (which is why I think it's funny when people talk about flopping in soccer but act as though the NHL is much better because they don't), but it has become much worse and much more noticeable on certain teams.

They need to start cracking down on it.

All teams, or most teams, have reputations...that's one of the Habs reputation because they're traditionally known as a 'soft team'. Same with Canes.

Furthermore, I don't think they can 'crack down on it' because they'd virtually have to call every penalty, a double penalty.

Sure, I don't like what Galchenyuk did last night...but I didn't like what Smith did either. That's sports though...

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
All teams, or most teams, have reputations...that's one of the Habs reputation because they're traditionally known as a 'soft team'. Same with Canes.

Furthermore, I don't think they can 'crack down on it' because they'd virtually have to call every penalty, a double penalty.

Sure, I don't like what Galchenyuk did last night...but I didn't like what Smith did either. That's sports though...

What did Smith do?

Also Galchenyuk's even was one of about 100 that happened from Montreal's side last night. It's not really comparable. That doesn't even include all the interference and stick holding.

They can crack down on it by reviewing games and handing out suspensions to clear divers like the do in European soccer. Also just calling diving by itself as opposed to calling double penalties works too.

Saabman0508

Harb Quote Count: 9
Aug 15, 2010
Ottawa

I like you. You're opinions do not make me want to rip out my own hair. Have a nice day. :)

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What did Smith do?

Also Galchenyuk's even was one of about 100 that happened from Montreal's side last night. It's not really comparable. That doesn't even include all the interference and stick holding.They can crack down on it by reviewing games and handing out suspensions to clear divers like the do in European soccer. Also just calling diving by itself as opposed to calling double penalties works too.

One of 100? lol really?

Ok, I don't see how debates can be fruitful when people use hyperbole to prove their point.

Handing out suspensions to clear divers? Come on lol...there wouldn't be enough players to play the game if they suspended players for diving.

They might be able to crack down on it by reviewing games and handing out fines to players (though i think they do this already), but suspend players? That's a bit extreme

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad