Post-Game Talk: Habs 4, Sens 3 (SO)

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Well, the only dive I really saw that was called as a penalty against Ottawa was Galchenyuk's in the 3rd where he went to full-extension. Pretty sad display on that one.

The ones where their little guys go flying is a lot like what happens to Turris.

Shootouts are hilarious because they instantly change the tenor of the post-game discussion.

If Montreal had lost, Price would be hanging from a noose right now. As it is, "he played well down the stretch and in the shootout". They blew a two-goal lead in the game.

In any event, we didn't particularly deserve to win, ran out of gas in the 3rd and didn't create too many scoring chances after Wiercioch tied it up.

I'll take the point. The fact that we continuously take the top teams in the league to the SO and OT says a lot about how difficult we are to play against.

I think it may have been Gallagher, not 100% sure, but he flopped about 3 or 4 times in one shift..

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I think we were trying to use our forecheck and physical play on the end boards to generate turnovers in the 1st two periods.

It worked pretty well, but a lazy penalty led to extended PK sessions in our own zone, which compounded the problem further.

By the time we killed the 3 penalties off, Ottawa had cement feet and Montreal knew it.

Lehner played very well down the stretch.

I missed the first half of the game, but cement feet definitely describes how they seemed to be playing in the 3rd. Condra's rushes on the PK were the only demonstrations of stamina.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Almost as good as getting 1 win out of 2 against the top 2 teams in the East (no ROW). Not bad at all.

I'd be a little more disappointed if these were overtime losses. They aren't giving up the ROW and are basically tying the game before the skills competition.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
So, I just read through some of the Habs' GDT and I can say the following. Apparently:
- The Habs should have had about 3 more PP in this game, easily
- The Sens are a terrible team who play for overtime.
- The Sens are boring
- Carey Price is not good.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I missed the first half of the game, but cement feet definitely describes how they seemed to be playing in the 3rd. Condra's rushes on the PK were the only demonstrations of stamina.

Killing 6 minutes of penalties, a couple back to back, has a tendency to take the energy out of players.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So, I just read through some of the Habs' GDT and I can say the following. Apparently:
- The Habs should have had about 3 more PP in this game, easily
- The Sens are a terrible team who play for overtime.
- The Sens are boring
- Carey Price is not good.

Meh, I don't really have a problem with too much of this.

Although, if Montreal deserved 3 or more PP, we probably should have had a few too.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Almost as good as getting 1 win out of 2 against the top 2 teams in the East (no ROW). Not bad at all.

I'd be a little more disappointed if these were overtime losses. They aren't giving up the ROW and are basically tying the game before the skills competition.

What's funny is that we've carried the play in numerous OT sessions.

This game obviously being an exception.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
We seem to have a good track record with our "Power" skating.

Spezza certainly got a hell of a lot faster.

I'm optimistic to see what they can do with Silf, Zibby and Stone.

Silfverberg has already shown a lot of improvement this season. Zibanejad has always been a fantastic skater. I am not optimistic about Stone...his skating is really bad.

Spezza was also always fast he just didn't/doesn't look that way because of his skating style and size. His skating has become a lot smoother with his stride though.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
All I can here as a Bruins fan is welcome to the Bruins world of being put short men vs that team for years.They dive and crowd calls penalties steady that chiken **** Refs agree with.Then they get away with same stuff.The refs really put the screws to you guys last nite ,expecially in third period.I seen Subban holding guys up steady while his other D man partner went to get puck,You guys got nailed for it.And that Gallagher kid need to get a goalie stick swiftly across his ankles,He is always poking at goalies every single game.But hey they want let him do it they deserve it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Silfverberg has already shown a lot of improvement this season. Zibanejad has always been a fantastic skater. I am not optimistic about Stone...his skating is really bad.

Spezza was also always fast he just didn't/doesn't look that way because of his skating style and size. His skating has become a lot smoother with his stride though.

With Zibby, I'm hoping his balance improves a bit.

He's a bit skittish and Vermette-like.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
The Habs find open ice and shake off checkers incredibly well. They were able to maintain possession in our end indefinitely, and we had to work hard to keep them at the perimeter. I wouldn't blame the refereeing for any of the penalty calls that I saw last night. To play well against them, we'll need Karlsson in the defensive zone.

Methot, Philly, and Gryba need to be able to check and pin, and rely on the centre or collapsing winger to retrieve the puck and move it quickly. We gave it away sooo many times trying to make that first break-out pass.

That is easier said than done. It depends if the opposition drops a third forward into the scrum. It also depends if the refs are calling holding and interference penalties. There is a fine line between pinning and holding/interference. Seems like Subban can hold and interfere all he wants because he is Subban, especially in Montreal.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I`m with you. It seems foolish to ignore the 3 point system when several billion people are fans and support it worldwide. There must be something good about it.

The NHL won't adapt the three point system simply because it defeats the objective of growing revenue through what it calls competitive balance.

Simply stated, the more teams in the playoff picture deeper in the season is good, anything that might change it is bad.

For example, with the current system the spread from top to bottom in the East is 20 points, with a 3-point system the spread becomes 31 points.

In a shorten season with only half the games played several teams would already be eliminated, a few others on the cusp of falling out of the race. Over 82 games it would be quite likely no more than 9 or 10/conference would be in contention for a playoff spot by the 60 game mark.

In effect the NHL would be going back to the old system, even possibly worse, which just isn't good for the economics.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
That is easier said than done. It depends if the opposition drops a third forward into the scrum. It also depends if the refs are calling holding and interference penalties. There is a fine line between pinning and holding/interference. Seems like Subban can hold and interfere all he wants because he is Subban, especially in Montreal.

Not sure about the Subban, but what I did notice last night is the Canadiens get away with a lot of interference using pick plays.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Not sure about the Subban, but what I did notice last night is the Canadiens get away with a lot of interference using pick plays.

They get away with a lot of stuff. Interference and most noticeably holding the stick. The seem to try and use every possible cheap trick out there to draw penalties. Hard to fault them for it too when the league and refs refuse to address it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They get away with a lot of stuff. Interference and most noticeably holding the stick. The seem to try and use every possible cheap trick out there to draw penalties. Hard to fault them for it too when the league and refs refuse to address it.

I know some Habs fans were complaining about the reffing, but some agreed with me that the first two periods were relatively well-reffed.

They called the obvious things away from the net but let some of the physical manhandling go in the dirty areas around the cage.

I think this is a pretty good way to ref a game. As soon as you start arbitrarily calling some of the cross-checks, interference when guys are jockeying for position in front of the goalie, the players don't know what to do.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
With Zibby, I'm hoping his balance improves a bit.

He's a bit skittish and Vermette-like.

What I see is a young guy that is now finding size alone isn't enough.

Zib reaches at times attempting to check with his stick using arm strength. While that may have worked in the past, NHL players in general are too strong and skate through those checks.

When Zib does this it leaves him off-balance and on occasion on his butt. IMO Zib just needs to learn to keep moving his feet so he doesn't have to reach.

Of course Zib will also get bigger and stronger which should help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad