Post-Game Talk: Habs 4, Sens 3 (SO)

SenatorsLegionary

Member of Sens Army
Oct 25, 2008
Montreal, Qc
Just going by memory here, so correct me if I'm off base, but since the Karlsson injury, have we been involved in a game that hasn't been decided by one goal?

It seems like forever since we have had a "comfortable" win, but at the same time it's been amazing to have a chance to win in every game. You can't help but be proud of this team...even down 3-1 tonight they were resilient again and salvaged a point.

The future is looking very bright with nice influx of young players that we will be seeing in the next few years.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
hmmm...maybe for Alfie it is.

Lehner is not so reducible IMO. Maybe he just needs to take Regin's advice and calm the **** down in the shootout. By his own admission, he really is biting on almost everything. At that point 'luck' is thrown right out the door. He's hasn't really been giving himself a chance to be lucky or unlucky. Just...bad.

Maybe just slow the roll a little there youngin'. Less Stallone, more Eastwood.

Just being up in Ottawa will help him with the shootout. Remember, he's been practicing with AHL players most of the year. If you can't practice against it, its hard to anticipate. Give him a full season practicing with NHL shooters and he'll improve through osmosis. Spezza, Turris, Michalek, Alfredsson, and Karlsson can give Lehner daily lessons.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
A few thoughts:

- Neil played a whale of a game!

- Lats has a great no look backhand pass move.

- Lehner's problem is he has nobody to practice decent shoot outs with. :cry: (other than Silfverberg)

- I think Stone needs to go down and play more minutes in the AHL. I assume he's the one who'll lose his spot to Kassian next game anyway. At least Daugy is fantastic on the PK. If Daugy's hurt for blocking that shot, I'd still send Stone down and bring in both Kassian and Regin instead.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Just being up in Ottawa will help him with the shootout. Remember, he's been practicing with AHL players most of the year. If you can't practice against it, its hard to anticipate. Give him a full season practicing with NHL shooters and he'll improve through osmosis. Spezza, Turris, Michalek, Alfredsson, and Karlsson can give Lehner daily lessons.

I think you're right and that might be for the best.

StoneColdFlower*

I'm fine with closure, but I think there isn't enough incentive right now to finish the game in regulation. Making regulation wins worth 3 points would balance it out I think.

I would prefer keeping shootouts and maintaining the current point system, but I would use ROWs as the main metric for ranking teams and determining who makes the playoffs, with points serving as a tie breaker. This would maintain statistical continuity, ensure that every game has a winner, and make winning a hockey game more rewarding than winning a shootout, while still retaining the shootout for people who enjoy it, myself included.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I've just been pouring over stats for an hour.

Habs have had 125 PP opportunities, most in the league. Sens 88. Habs have 11+ minutes more than the next team with the extra man. Only ranked 9th in the league on the PP. They'd slaughter teams if their PP was any better.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I've just been pouring over stats for an hour.

Habs have had 125 PP opportunities, most in the league. Sens 88. Habs have 11+ minutes more than the next team with the extra man. Only ranked 9th in the league on the PP. They'd slaughter teams if their PP was any better.

Habs are nothing without their PP. Put in a team with a solid PK against em and they'll struggle to consistently score.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
I think the shift that struck me the most tonight was:

Silfverberg-Zibanejad-Stone

Phillips-Gryba

Lehner

Weird seeing Ottawa with only one true regular player out on the ice. Phillips must have felt ancient, but it shows that PM trusts the young guys.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Stone is amazing me with his physical play. Never knew it was this dominant. He's just laying people out there. His work ethic is also very inspiring. Man if he works on his footspeed he'll be an outstanding top 6er.

Tomato

Mar 13, 2013

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Sens are a good team. They give the Habs trouble. That doesn't change the fact that your original statement is completely false.

My original statement was about the habs in relation to the Sens. I should have been more clearer. My post was like a jab at their hardships against Ottawa.

How much EV goals have Habs scored on us this year. That's where I was getting at.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Stone is amazing me with his physical play. Never knew it was this dominant. He's just laying people out there. His work ethic is also very inspiring. Man if he works on his footspeed he'll be an outstanding top 6er.

Have to agree, here. I knew he was a big guy that wasn't moved around easily, but I didn't think he was that physical. I love it.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
My original statement was about the habs in relation to the Sens. I should have been more clearer. My post was like a jab at their hardships against Ottawa.

How much EV goals have Habs scored on us this year. That's where I was getting at.

It's 4-1 Montreal in EV goals over the past 3 games over the Sens.

Good game by the Sens btw, they are hanging there and working hard.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well, the only dive I really saw that was called as a penalty against Ottawa was Galchenyuk's in the 3rd where he went to full-extension. Pretty sad display on that one.

The ones where their little guys go flying is a lot like what happens to Turris.

Shootouts are hilarious because they instantly change the tenor of the post-game discussion.

If Montreal had lost, Price would be hanging from a noose right now. As it is, "he played well down the stretch and in the shootout". They blew a two-goal lead in the game.

In any event, we didn't particularly deserve to win, ran out of gas in the 3rd and didn't create too many scoring chances after Wiercioch tied it up.

I'll take the point. The fact that we continuously take the top teams in the league to the SO and OT says a lot about how difficult we are to play against.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
The Habs find open ice and shake off checkers incredibly well. They were able to maintain possession in our end indefinitely, and we had to work hard to keep them at the perimeter. I wouldn't blame the refereeing for any of the penalty calls that I saw last night. To play well against them, we'll need Karlsson in the defensive zone.

Methot, Philly, and Gryba need to be able to check and pin, and rely on the centre or collapsing winger to retrieve the puck and move it quickly. We gave it away sooo many times trying to make that first break-out pass.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I must emphasize the bolded. Dishing out 3+ hours of your time and 100+ of your Canuck bucks to watch a TIE is a really empty feeling. Its almost worse than a loss, no one at the game is happy about it.

I agree with the 3 point system, that's been something many have wanted to for years but historians are too vocal about it screwing with records.

Never understood this objection. Just divide the 3 point game seasons by 3 then multiply by 2 to compare. It's no worse than having the loser point.

Mark Effin Stone

I miss Kuba
May 10, 2010
Stockholm
Well, the only dive I really saw that was called as a penalty against Ottawa was Galchenyuk's in the 3rd where he went to full-extension. Pretty sad display on that one.

The ones where their little guys go flying is a lot like what happens to Turris.

Shootouts are hilarious because they instantly change the tenor of the post-game discussion.

If Montreal had lost, Price would be hanging from a noose right now. As it is, "he played well down the stretch and in the shootout". They blew a two-goal lead in the game.

In any event, we didn't particularly deserve to win, ran out of gas in the 3rd and didn't create too many scoring chances after Wiercioch tied it up.

I'll take the point. The fact that we continuously take the top teams in the league to the SO and OT says a lot about how difficult we are to play against.

looked like he was doing the eagle

tumblr_m3cokqS2rV1rpg9v8o1_500.gif

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The Habs find open ice and shake off checkers incredibly well. They were able to maintain possession in our end indefinitely, and we had to work hard to keep them at the perimeter. I wouldn't blame the refereeing for any of the penalty calls that I saw last night. To play well against them, we'll need Karlsson in the defensive zone.

Methot, Philly, and Gryba need to be able to check and pin, and rely on the centre or collapsing winger to retrieve the puck and move it quickly. We gave it away sooo many times trying to make that first break-out pass.

I think we were trying to use our forecheck and physical play on the end boards to generate turnovers in the 1st two periods.

It worked pretty well, but a lazy penalty led to extended PK sessions in our own zone, which compounded the problem further.

By the time we killed the 3 penalties off, Ottawa had cement feet and Montreal knew it.

Lehner played very well down the stretch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad