Guess Sweeney's next move thread

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Curious on your thoughts there with Eriksson and what you mean by delicate balance.

I think Oshie is the kind of player Boston is looking for. I do think there's a risk at moving everything about, a poster said he and Marchand are the only Bruins wingers with >50 games in a B's jersey. He does alot for special teams on both sides as well. Does Oshie do much when it comes to PK? It's a pure salary swap in that regard so money isn't really an issue. I was pretty keen on doing an Eriksson for Oshie trade, but more I read from some people I respect and their thoughts (each way), makes me wonder if some people truly under value what Eriksson brings in total.

In a bubble, I actually don't mind a Eriksson/Oshie swap. But a few things to consider with Eriksson:

- He's one of the Bruins only four top six players.
- Cerebral defensive presence and how it meshes with different line combinations
- Take a look at the depth chart on the LW. I counted four natural lefties (including Eriksson) and six natural righties. Now remove a LW for a RW or a defenseman.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
FWIW, and from what Ive read, theres quite the popularity contest between Shat and Piet... Anyways, I don't see why the Blues would move Piet who is signed through 2019 I think?? to reduce cap troubles when they would have to turn around and resign Shat after next season.

All true, though Shat and Piet are very similar players.

And Shat will look for Piet money when he resigns: 6m+ and long term.

Tarasenko is probably looking for 8m, Blues likely offering 7m, maybe less.

I don't think they can afford Piet + Shat + Tarasenko long term.

Piet represents a huge cap hit; if you think Shat is the better D (is arguably is), then you retain him and move Piet to sign Tarasenko.

I don't know. Definitely a long shot. But if the rumor is a "blockbuster" deal, one of those three players would have to be involved. Otherwise, it's meh.

EvilElf63

Mar 27, 2012
Catskills
Just saw hat myself. Was hoping he'd come here for a year or two. One of the best of our generation, congrats Marty on a great career. :handclap:

uvm-stlouis-v.jpg

Bruins Stooge

Spread Out
Aug 12, 2008
Hartford County CT
In a bubble, I actually don't mind a Eriksson/Oshie swap. But a few things to consider with Eriksson:

- He's one of the Bruins only four top six players.
- Cerebral defensive presence and how it meshes with different line combinations
- Take a look at the depth chart on the LW. I counted four natural lefties (including Eriksson) and six natural righties. Now remove a LW for a RW or a defenseman.

Good points there. There's certainly alot of value Eriksson brings to the table that you may not know unless you did some digging. Getting Oshie in without moving Eriksson would be nice but I don't see how that gets done, Kelly would have to be sent off somehow and even if you are able to do that Boston takes a million off the cap. Can't imagine they'd have much interest in Connolly as a RFA but if picks/prospect/and him could get it done while shedding cap in a place other then Eriksson could get done (it'd have to be Kelly in another deal and waive his NTC) and they're still able to bring in the necessary defenseman they truly need, I'd be quite the happy camper. More then likely that's a pipe dream :laugh:

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Jeremey Smith is signed....

Now about that Connolly fellow..

Bruinsfolife

Dec 3, 2005
Montreal
Funny, I was thinking the same exact thing. Don't know why, just popped into my head.

Separate idea, the B's now have four RW's (Pasta, Connolly, Loui, Hayes)...and only three LW's including Kelly, who I want gone (Marchand, Beleskey, Kelly).

Would you deal Pasta for Schwartz?

As much as I like Pasta, I would.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Funny, I was thinking the same exact thing. Don't know why, just popped into my head.

Separate idea, the B's now have four RW's (Pasta, Connolly, Loui, Hayes)...and only three LW's including Kelly, who I want gone (Marchand, Beleskey, Kelly).

Why wouldn't you just slot Eriksson back over to the left side?

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

Thats tough.. Love Pasta. But yeah I think I would.

Bruinaholic

Apr 22, 2002
Central CT
Id only move 88 in a big package centered around oshie or schwartz with pietrangelo. ....i think schwartz hits ufa in a year or 2 so his bargain cap hit will be short lived, st louis would drool over pasta and tarasenko long term. Edit not a ufa,but the end of a 2yr bridge

AustinBruins

Jul 31, 2010
If I am Don, that 2016 first rounder from the Sharks gets offered to St. Louis, along with the Blues' choice of Troutman/Miller/Morrow, for Shattenkirk. But I think that is our wishful thinking and St. Louis would be crazy to trade Shattenkirk with that 4.2 million cap hit.

I think the guy the Blues would rather move is Bouwmeester. I would offer 33 year old Seidenberg and a pick (not a 1st rounder) for 31 year old JayBo. Seidenberg is signed through his age 35 season (2017-18) at 4 mil cap hit. Jay is signed until 2018-19, which is his age 34 season, at a 5.4 mil cap hit.

The Blues can play Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo as their first pair and add Dennis to their second or third pairing while saving 1.4 million dollars they need elsewhere.

Boston gets out from depending on Seidenberg to be a critical piece any longer. Even though he isn't young any more either, Bouwmeester is still as good as Dennis ever was. Chara and Bouwmeester would be an absolute shutdown playoff or 'close and late' game pairing.

Chara, Bouwmeester, Krug, McQuaid (4 of 6)
One of Colin Miller/Joe Morrow (5)
One of Kevan Miller/Troutman (6)

This also means if a Franson or Oduya ends up in Boston, you'd be pretty set with 3 strong, veteran pairs. You'd still have Krug to QB power play 1, McQuaid to fight, and room to break in one of the puckmovers like Morrow or Colin Miller.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
If I am Don, that 2016 first rounder from the Sharks gets offered to St. Louis, along with the Blues' choice of Troutman/Miller/Morrow, for Shattenkirk. But I think that is our wishful thinking and St. Louis would be crazy to trade Shattenkirk with that 4.2 million cap hit.

I think the guy the Blues would rather move is Bouwmeester. I would offer 33 year old Seidenberg and a pick (not a 1st rounder) for 31 year old JayBo. Seidenberg is signed through his age 35 season (2017-18) at 4 mil cap hit. Jay is signed until 2018-19, which is his age 34 season, at a 5.4 mil cap hit.

The Blues can play Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo as their first pair and add Dennis to their second or third pairing while saving 1.4 million dollars they need elsewhere.

Boston gets out from depending on Seidenberg to be a critical piece any longer. Even though he isn't young any more either, Bouwmeester is still as good as Dennis ever was. Chara and Bouwmeester would be an absolute shutdown playoff or 'close and late' game pairing.

Chara, Bouwmeester, Krug, McQuaid (4 of 6)
One of Colin Miller/Joe Morrow (5)
One of Kevan Miller/Troutman (6)

This also means if a Franson or Oduya ends up in Boston, you'd be pretty set with 3 strong, veteran pairs. You'd still have Krug to QB power play 1, McQuaid to fight, and room to break in one of the puckmovers like Morrow or Colin Miller.

I think Shat and Piet are too similar to keep both at 6.5+m a year, that Shat will ask for when he needs to be resigned. Bouwmeester brings something entirely different -- a big stay at home D. I could see either Piet or Shat moved to sign Tarasenko. But admittedly, it's a long shot.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
You guys will be fine going forward. You now have a lot of prospects that are just money in the bank. I would expect to take a bit of a step backwards this season but those draft picks are great currency to spend to get some damned good players in a hurry. I think My team is a example of that and may become a model....at least I hope they are!

In essence, it may be a bit of a shock to go from a contender to the middle of the pack but I bet you guys will be right back in the conversation of Cup contenders in very short order.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011

I would not move Pasta at this point in time. Too much upside. And could end up being a top line player for us.

Loui Eriksson can easily switch back to his previous left wing position.
Now if we could move an Eriksson plus package in return for Schwartz, I'd be interested.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
You guys will be fine going forward. You now have a lot of prospects that are just money in the bank. I would expect to take a bit of a step backwards this season but those draft picks are great currency to spend to get some damned good players in a hurry. I think My team is a example of that and may become a model....at least I hope they are!

In essence, it may be a bit of a shock to go from a contender to the middle of the pack but I bet you guys will be right back in the conversation of Cup contenders in very short order.

If the "model" is tanking ... no thanks.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
If the "model" is tanking ... no thanks.

Obviously, I don't believe you need to tank Sabres style. I like the base you have and those assets you have in your back pocket could go a long way towards improving your team in a hurry.

Just remember, we didn't give up Eichel or Reinhart to get Kane, O'Reilly and McGinn. I think you kow what I mean. You guys can get better in a blink of an eye if you just pick your spot. I believe Sweeney will do just that.

Not a Bruins "hater" here, though I would like to beat your brains out whenever we play. I enjoyed watching you all win the Cup. I believe that team was amazing and how hockey should be played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad