Guess Sweeney's next move thread

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I have to say that I'll go back to sour if Sweeney sits on this defense and $5M+ in cap space.

The Blues rumors excited me. If they're now dead, I'm not sure where this add comes from.

Hm.

They are a budget team, not a cap team, that much is clear. Big $$ coming up for them and the Oshie deal only saved them about 500K.

They are listening in on Shatty offers, but more likely another forward will be moved.

Gunnarsson also possible but not likely

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
NJ is set with Greene, Moore, Larsson, Severson, Merrill and Gelinas. Shero looking to stay young and gel all at once .

They look solid defensively 1-6 and that's why I think they'd maybe be open to moving one of Merrill or Gelinas for young offense + maybe a Kevan Miller. Nothing more than a guess

hollafamer

Jan 24, 2011
What do you guys think of jeff skinner. The time to buy low on him is an all time high. Still very young, had a rough bit of injury is a legit first liner when healthy. Contract is fairly reasonable. If he was still at his 30 goal lvl we would never had a shot at him. But i read he is on the block, I think he is well worth the risk. Im sure krejci can get him to pot 25+ goals again. I rather him then sharp who is older and regressing. What you guys think?

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008

I have to say that I'll go back to sour if Sweeney sits on this defense and $5M+ in cap space.

The Blues rumors excited me. If they're now dead, I'm not sure where this add comes from.

Hm.

Not sure how you can sour on someone for not making a deal. When you don't know if the player you want is available. And, if he is. What they would want in return.

You'd be ok at throwing 5m per at a bum like Franson?? I presume.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
What do you guys think of jeff skinner. The time to buy low on him is an all time high. Still very young, had a rough bit of injury is a legit first liner when healthy. Contract is fairly reasonable. If he was still at his 30 goal lvl we would never had a shot at him. But i read he is on the block, I think he is well worth the risk. Im sure krejci can get him to pot 25+ goals again. I rather him then sharp who is older and regressing. What you guys think?

Kid gets concussed tying his shoes, no thanks

hollafamer

Jan 24, 2011
Kid gets concussed tying his shoes, no thanks

Not long ago you could have said the same of both loui and bergeron. It's not easy to recover from. He played 77 games last year and 71 the year before. I think concussions isn't the issue here it was his lousy play last year.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Wait until camp. We sure have a ton of Dmen, maybe not as high quality as we would like, but alot. If Morrow/ C Miller show they are ready, maybe someone else gets moved; if we have a bad year Seidenberg at deadline (could we get so lucky to add another first ?)

Due to the injuries sustained last year, can never have too many Dmen though..

Also for the forwards, who steps up in camp......maybe Koko forces his way in and Kelly gets moved. Again, could be a deadline trade.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Not long ago you could have said the same of both loui and bergeron. It's not easy to recover from. He played 77 games last year and 71 the year before. I think concussions isn't the issue here it was his lousy play last year.

Loui and Bergy protect themselves very well, if you watch Skinner, consistently puts himself in positions that just aren`t wise

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
What do you guys think of jeff skinner. The time to buy low on him is an all time high.

Unless you could get Carolina to eat a big portion of his salary then he just simply makes too much for Boston to be interested. Skinner's salary is $ 6 million ( with a $ 5.725 million cap hit ) for the next 4 seasons. :amazed:

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
Shattenkirk would be nice but also would cost a lot. I still think our best bet is Bouwmeester (25% retained).

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

I'm not a huge skinner fan-mostly because he sometimes plays on the dirty side, however his skating is amazing and he does have a great shot and I could probably like him better if he was a Bruin.

I don't think he fits the player type Sweeney seems to be targeting but I would love to see them get a skilled forward. For the right price I would rather pick him up than say take a flyer on Semin. Depends a lot too on Skinner's contract. Team is just getting out of cap Hell and I don't want them to jump back in with players/contracts they don't/may not want to keep long term.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

Hm.

They are a budget team, not a cap team, that much is clear. Big $$ coming up for them and the Oshie deal only saved them about 500K.

They are listening in on Shatty offers, but more likely another forward will be moved.

Gunnarsson also possible but not likely

Right now, I'm not sure what to do with the D. It's pretty slow, injury prone, and aging.

But the UFA pool for D right now is utterly crap. And I don't want them to sign some third rate blueliners to bad contracts, just because we have holes on D. Although I've flirted with the idea of Franson, I'm thinking now it's best to avoid him, avoid Oduya, etc.

I'd prefer they make a move to try a significant hockey trade for a legit top pairing D to replace Hamilton. Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo, etc, a player of that calibre.

If that doesn't happen, then this may quickly turn into a bridge year. Not rebuilding, but far, far from contending; but could be much better in 1-2 years, as some of these prospects can contribute, and players like Pasta/Spooner matured. And maybe next year, with some luck, we draft in the top 5 with either SJS's pick, and top 10 with ours, pick up some some elite offensive talent up front, and a top D prospect.

Hate to be so down, but I'm not sure there's an easy solution for the D right now, other than another big time trade. Sweeney seems able to pull the trigger, at least.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad