Guess Sweeney's next move thread

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
1) Sign Hayes - 2 x $2M?

2) Sign Connolly - 2 x $1.75M?

3) Decide on whether we are acquiring a veteran backup or going with one of the kids - I think we should sign a vet.

4) Target a #1/2 D-man or at least a power play d-man that plays as a #3 d-man.

5) Decide if we are extending Krug.

6) Move Kelly if possible.

7) Make the move on the d-man in #4 above.

Sabres fan here..is there any possibility that Krug gets moved before this season? If so, what sort of return would you want?

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Yeah, the guys left on UFA are not great.

Which leaves a trade. Would love Shattenkirk or Pietrangelo, but neither will be easy to get.

Any more word on the "Blockbuster" that St. Louis is involved with?

Their GM said their D is now set.

And their fans seem to think the only thing worth trading for is Rask...

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Sabres fan here..is there any possibility that Krug gets moved before this season? If so, what sort of return would you want?

Krug is the only puck moving/well skating D we have left, I already hate the idea of having seids-chara-K.miller-McQ on the same lineup and if you take Krug out then you can already give us one of 2016's top3 pick.

Last edited:

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?

Our need is for youngish D talent. Only way he would go to Buffalo would be if both management groups liked the other team's guy better. I don't think Murray would value Krug over Ristolainen or Bogosian, but I might be wrong.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I thought Trotman was basically Larry Robinson in the Calder Cup games I saw. He was the boss at both ends of the rink.[/U] Totally looked like he didn't belong in the game to me. Even talking to him afterward -- and Trotman downplayed the spike in his play, pointing to steady progress -- he just projects NHL player. I totally bought in, the only caveat being the great amount of progress in one season changing my entire outlook on him as an NHL prospect. I went from thinking he was a guy with tools who might never get it to a guy who's breaking the door down.

Morrow went through a thing where he was pretty sound in an NHL stint, then decided he should have the puck on his stick no longer than a half a second in the AHL after he got sent back down. Butch had to talk to him and remind him that he's a way more talented player than that and that the AHL was a place for him to try things, to do more, to help the team win, not just be a sturdy, small part of the game. Morrow, to me, looked awkward at times trying to negotiate that situation and request (and I think the suspended Crescenzi hit was symptomatic, as he was on his off-side of the rink and cutting back looking to make a play - if Crescenzi could adjust his path and catch him like that from a half zone away, then it doesn't bode well for him to be an improvisational Dman in the NHL ... IMO). That said, he is a very good system Dman in the NHL right now, and it's a bit of a shame that he needs the game to stay that quick and simple to thrive. It's a little like Bartkowski but not to the same extremes (be it in skating power or in hockey narcolepsy - I know people love that term). I'll be real intrigued measuring Morrow against Colin Miller.

Unless Sweeney has decided that Dennis Seidenberg is a deteriorating player even 18 months past surgery, I'm not on the changes-are-coming bandwagon.

I expect Sweeney to deal Malcolm Subban and give the AHL nets to McIntyre and Smith, and I expect him to get an NHL-experienced backup for Tuukka Rask. Martin Jones would have been awesome in that role (ie. 55-27 ratio). Now who knows, but Cassidy went with Smith in the series decider at Hartford because he's got a B game and Subban does not. Butch said that if Malcolm doesn't have his best stuff, he generally struggles, whereas Smith finds a way to have a serviceable performance when he's not in the zone. Therefore, it is difficult to imagine Sweeney putting Subban in Boston right now. He certainly can't put McIntyre there without a heap of problems, and there is not room for both of them and Smith in Providence. I actually thought Smith played so well in the AHL playoffs that he would be a prime candidate to back up Rask, but Kirk brought up an interesting point on Twitter about what the Bruins went through (and Rask in particular) when Svedberg lost confidence. It would be unnecessary to ask for that trouble again. Sveddy had never been backup whereas Smith split the nets with Subban (who played great in Providence's two home games vs. Hartford). Smith got Game 5 on the road and made one misplay on the awkward shot off the half wall that led to the 5-hole rebound goal that ended the series.

Smith put up a 2.05 GAA and a .933 SP in the regular season, and he was the fourth goalie taken in the 2007 draft, second round 54th overall. Right now he looks like a guy who will wind up being one of the NHL's better backups, and I won't be surprised to see him launch that career in Boston.

wow on Trotman.....Larry Robinson is one of my all time favorite players. What a leader.

Trotman has had the concussions which is a concern but the chatter I get on him is outstanding guy. He and Justin Florek off the ice are to of the really good people.

cant wait now to see Trotman.....Dom really likes him as well; interesting both of you to have high regard for him.

Thanks Mick, always good to hear from someone who understands my pain when Harry traded Al Secord.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Trotman and Colin Miller are the two blanks .

sure sounds it

Mick is like Yoda (better looking of course) to me when he talks defenseman. I wish we had this board back in the days of Al Sims and Al Pedersen. Plus to read Mick break down John Blum would be 'get a beer this is going to be good'

btw Mick if you read this- do you remember defenseman Brian Curran coming out of the box in Quebec and scoring on a breakaway? only Lyndon Byers breakaway in the famous Donut playoff game against the Devils and Sean Burke beats the shock of that.

but I digress

Trotman has me stocked- nothing better than home grown and much cheaper if it can work

Last edited:

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site
Trotman and Colin Miller are the two blanks .

I've got Seids on the Right side with Hamilton leaving, opening a spot on the left for Morrow. Right now I see
Z - Seids
Krug - Mcquaid
Morrow - Miller

Which tells me Sweeney still has work to do. Mcquaid isn't a top 4 defensemen, and Kruger shouldn't be either. Maybe Morrow really steps up his game this year, otherwise Boston has 4 bottom pairing defensemen in the lineup.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
One thing I do not want to see happen is the Bruins even sniffing at Slava Voynov.

LAK is most likely going to cut him loose and assuming the NHL reinstates him with time served and he isn't deported some GM will try and grab him.

We need a Top 4 D-man but I don't want that POS anywhere near our team.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
One thing I do not want to see happen is the Bruins even sniffing at Slava Voynov.

LAK is most likely going to cut him loose and assuming the NHL reinstates him with time served and he isn't deported some GM will try and grab him.

We need a Top 4 D-man but I don't want that POS anywhere near our team.

Everything I've heard from the " experts " on TSN and Sportsnet indicate that LA will have no problem bringing Voynov back once all his legal problems have been cleared up. :dunno:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
Especially with how they are handling the Richards situation they really put themselves in a corner regarding Voynov.

It's clear cap circumvention and it's ridiculous the NHL gave them cap relief for that incident but doesn't give cap relief for a player having their career ended playing the actual sport.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
I assume Don Sweeney's Plan A is trying to trade for an experienced minutes-eater on D.

For the sake of discussion, let's say he can't find a worthwhile deal. Plan B could be signing someone like Matt Irwin. If this were to occur, one of the Bruins LD would most likely need to play their off-side. Do you all think Seidenberg or Krug is more comfortable playing on the right?

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
From what I understand Seidenberg is the only one Claude trusts to play both sides.

If a ufa comes in Ehrhoff would be acceptable. That's pretty much it out of what's left. He'd at least help on the power play if nothing else. Otherwise might as well let the kids play.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Unless it's a big enough upgrade to push down one of Trotman, McQuaid, or Miller on defense, I think this is the lineup they'll go to war with at the start of the season. Lots of question marks with this blueline group, revolving mainly around health ( Chara, Seids, Miller and McQuaid ) but the potential is there to be very good and very physical.

Ideally, you'd like to see them pick up a second pairing guy who can push down McQuaid and both he and Miller can split time on the bottom pairing with Krug.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Had a great BBQ last night. Big juicy steak cooked rare and to perfection. Never seen so many salads in one place. Baked potato, corn on the cob. Beer of course.

I'm just leaving Stratford for a mini vacation to Bayfield via Toronto if you can believe that. Going to stay in the loop though!

Oh yeah, and no to Shattenkirk.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Had a great BBQ last night. Big juicy steak cooked rare and to perfection. Never seen so many salads in one place. Baked potato, corn on the cob. Beer of course.

I'm just leaving Stratford for a mini vacation to Bayfield via Toronto if you can believe that. Going to stay in the loop though!

Damn.....
Anything else from St Louis besides ribs?

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

For what it would have cost I'm ok with that . Long time between today and puck drop, I would think unless something drops in there laps D.S. holds on to the cap space and lets his lineup dictate the next move during camp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad