Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Sweeney's next move will be signing Cody Franson

I'd be happy with that

Chara- Morrow/Trotman/K.Miller/C.Miller

Seidenberg-Franson

Krug-McQuaid

I think one of Morrow, Trotman or C.Miller could become a top 4 hopefully one can make the jump this season if not I'd put Kevan Miller up there with Z he has played with him before and done well. He was great in 13-14 struggled last year but if he can regain his rookie form I think he could be solid with Z

FYI Kevan Miller is +40 in his 88 game NHL career

I truly think if we sign 1 Top 4 D man our Defense will be fine

last years team finished 7th in the NHL in Goals Against and that was with Chara missing time and Bart and Dougie being full time Top 4 Ds I love Dougie but he was a turnover machine same with Bart

Last edited:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Obviously, I don't believe you need to tank Sabres style. I like the base you have and those assets you have in your back pocket could go a long way towards improving your team in a hurry.

Just remember, we didn't give up Eichel or Reinhart to get Kane, O'Reilly and McGinn. I think you kow what I mean. You guys can get better in a blink of an eye if you just pick your spot. I believe Sweeney will do just that.

Not a Bruins "hater" here, though I would like to beat your brains out whenever we play. I enjoyed watching you all win the Cup. I believe that team was amazing and how hockey should be played.

Thanks. 2010/ 2011 B's team was so much fun to watch.

Good Luck to Buffalo.

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
I don't want to see a veteran d-man signed without moving one out. Having the space to give two young players ice-time is important for the team's future.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
I don't want to see a veteran d-man signed without moving one out. Having the space to give two young players ice-time is important for the team's future.

Absolutely, bring in Franson and dump Seids for whatever futures Donny can get for him.

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
I'd feel more comfortable with that if Franson was more defensively sound, but if he came at a reasonable contract I would be happy with that. I do think that Seidenberg is going to be significantly better than he was last year, and I like his physicality every shift. It all depends on who the management feels can join the big team.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Franson makes sense. RH shot. The Bruins also need another guy on the back end who can play the point on the PP. Krug is your only viable PP defenseman at this point. Maybe Colin Miller if he makes the team. All depends on money and term though.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Franson is 27 is probably going to be looking for a 6 year deal. For all the talk about people hating this teams ability to play defense to want to bring in a guy who is horrible in his own end. The crop of UFA D-men are horrible this year and should be avoided.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Franson makes sense. RH shot. The Bruins also need another guy on the back end who can play the point on the PP. Krug is your only viable PP defenseman at this point. Maybe Colin Miller if he makes the team. All depends on money and term though.

Franson is just not something that Sweeney is looking for, I keep repeating to myself that he agreed with us and this team needs better/faster O-zone exits and D group with Franson-Chara-Seids-McQ would be a nightmare for that and I believe that Seids is staying.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I'd feel more comfortable with that if Franson was more defensively sound, but if he came at a reasonable contract I would be happy with that. I do think that Seidenberg is going to be significantly better than he was last year, and I like his physicality every shift. It all depends on who the management feels can join the big team.

What makes you think Seids is going to be significantly better next year ?

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Franson is just not something that Sweeney is looking for, I keep repeating to myself that he agreed with us and this team needs better/faster O-zone exits and D group with Franson-Chara-Seids-McQ would be a nightmare for that and I believe that Seids is staying.

Chara-____
Seidenberg-_____
Krug-McQuaid

That is the way I see the blueline. Chara/Seidenberg/McQuaid have to be separated at all costs. McQuaid should never be in any teams top-4. Ever. I'd like to think I've seen a good amount of Franson. He's not slow IMO. Mobility is not s strength, but it's not a noticeable flaw. Not that dissimilar to McQuaid or Seidenberg in that regard. Unfortunately those two also lack adequate puck skills. Franson can make a good first pass and shoot it from the blueline. I see him more like a less athletic/moblie Hamilton (a 21 year old Hamilton). I think he would be all right with Seidenberg on the 2nd pairing.

Trotman/Morrow/Miller should be your surprise guys in camp. Not penciled in. Never pencil in a rookie defenseman unless it's in the 5/6 spot.

Maybe you can flip Siedenberg to the right side and go after Oduya or Ehrhoff. Shorter term likely. The back end is a mess right now though IMO. Need to upgrade wherever possible. Maybe trade is a possibility. Spurgeon was a guy rumored to be available awhile ago. Haven't heard much since. RH shot. Small, but sound defensive game. With cap space, I'd prefer to stick to upgrades that don't cost assets though.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Yeah, the guys left on UFA are not great.

Which leaves a trade. Would love Shattenkirk or Pietrangelo, but neither will be easy to get.

Any more word on the "Blockbuster" that St. Louis is involved with?

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Chara-____
Seidenberg-_____
Krug-McQuaid

That is the way I see the blueline. Chara/Seidenberg/McQuaid have to be separated at all costs. McQuaid should never be in any teams top-4. Ever. I'd like to think I've seen a good amount of Franson. He's not slow IMO. Mobility is not s strength, but it's not a noticeable flaw. Not that dissimilar to McQuaid or Seidenberg in that regard. Unfortunately those two also lack adequate puck skills. Franson can make a good first pass and shoot it from the blueline. I see him more like a less athletic/moblie Hamilton (a 21 year old Hamilton). I think he would be all right with Seidenberg on the 2nd pairing.

Trotman/Morrow/Miller should be your surprise guys in camp. Not penciled in. Never pencil in a rookie defenseman unless it's in the 5/6 spot.

Maybe you can flip Siedenberg to the right side and go after Oduya or Ehrhoff. Shorter term likely. The back end is a mess right now though IMO. Need to upgrade wherever possible. Maybe trade is a possibility. Spurgeon was a guy rumored to be available awhile ago. Haven't heard much since. RH shot. Small, but sound defensive game. With cap space, I'd prefer to stick to upgrades that don't cost assets though.

I see Franson getting something around the Petry deal. People will be hating that in under a year.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
Mick, so what is the skinny on Miller? and I have seen Trotman a gazillion times but I never thought Boychuk would make it let alone make it with a style somewhat different from Providence.

You like Trotman? Miller? We talked Morrow before

also, Providence a complete overhaul with most of Cassidy's favs gone- Florek, Flick, Lindbald- Spooner and Pasta promoted.

You think Sweeney moves on from Butch. He was a Chia guy not Sweeney.

Sweeney has shown in one week he will make moves. Does he stay with Cassidy knowing Don is in control now? Cassidy to me would be a very good NHL assistant coach with D men

I'm no expert on Colin Miller, but I've gotta think that a 22-yo with his documented speed and shot, coupled with his development and team success, and what Sweeney said about incorporating the young D's -- and, this is important -- putting on the coaching staff not to kill these kids when they screw up, it really looks like Sweeney's belief is these kids are about to become NHL regulars via that difficult developmental transition (no pun intended) learning how to against big, bad NHL forwards.

The Butch question becomes intriguing because Sweeney put Pandolfo on that bench late in the season and said upon his hire as GM that Jay was huge to the development of forward play toward the end of the year. Without defining a move or even a track, he acknowledged a plan to expand Pandolfo's role on the team. IMO, that's too ringing an endorsement not to carry your suggestion to its inevitable conclusion. Maybe not this season, but ultimately I see Pandolfo coaching the P-Bruins. Sweeney is VERY high on him.

I thought Trotman was basically Larry Robinson in the Calder Cup games I saw. He was the boss at both ends of the rink. Totally looked like he didn't belong in the game to me. Even talking to him afterward -- and Trotman downplayed the spike in his play, pointing to steady progress -- he just projects NHL player. I totally bought in, the only caveat being the great amount of progress in one season changing my entire outlook on him as an NHL prospect. I went from thinking he was a guy with tools who might never get it to a guy who's breaking the door down.

Morrow went through a thing where he was pretty sound in an NHL stint, then decided he should have the puck on his stick no longer than a half a second in the AHL after he got sent back down. Butch had to talk to him and remind him that he's a way more talented player than that and that the AHL was a place for him to try things, to do more, to help the team win, not just be a sturdy, small part of the game. Morrow, to me, looked awkward at times trying to negotiate that situation and request (and I think the suspended Crescenzi hit was symptomatic, as he was on his off-side of the rink and cutting back looking to make a play - if Crescenzi could adjust his path and catch him like that from a half zone away, then it doesn't bode well for him to be an improvisational Dman in the NHL ... IMO). That said, he is a very good system Dman in the NHL right now, and it's a bit of a shame that he needs the game to stay that quick and simple to thrive. It's a little like Bartkowski but not to the same extremes (be it in skating power or in hockey narcolepsy - I know people love that term). I'll be real intrigued measuring Morrow against Colin Miller.

Unless Sweeney has decided that Dennis Seidenberg is a deteriorating player even 18 months past surgery, I'm not on the changes-are-coming bandwagon.

I expect Sweeney to deal Malcolm Subban and give the AHL nets to McIntyre and Smith, and I expect him to get an NHL-experienced backup for Tuukka Rask. Martin Jones would have been awesome in that role (ie. 55-27 ratio). Now who knows, but Cassidy went with Smith in the series decider at Hartford because he's got a B game and Subban does not. Butch said that if Malcolm doesn't have his best stuff, he generally struggles, whereas Smith finds a way to have a serviceable performance when he's not in the zone. Therefore, it is difficult to imagine Sweeney putting Subban in Boston right now. He certainly can't put McIntyre there without a heap of problems, and there is not room for both of them and Smith in Providence. I actually thought Smith played so well in the AHL playoffs that he would be a prime candidate to back up Rask, but Kirk brought up an interesting point on Twitter about what the Bruins went through (and Rask in particular) when Svedberg lost confidence. It would be unnecessary to ask for that trouble again. Sveddy had never been backup whereas Smith split the nets with Subban (who played great in Providence's two home games vs. Hartford). Smith got Game 5 on the road and made one misplay on the awkward shot off the half wall that led to the 5-hole rebound goal that ended the series.

Smith put up a 2.05 GAA and a .933 SP in the regular season, and he was the fourth goalie taken in the 2007 draft, second round 54th overall. Right now he looks like a guy who will wind up being one of the NHL's better backups, and I won't be surprised to see him launch that career in Boston.

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Thanks for that, Mick, love hearing your thoughts about the D, something that I try to pay close attention to.

Not a huge fan of Morrow (think there was a reason this former 1st round pick is already on his 3rd organization) and glad to hear that Trots was so confident in the AHL playoffs. It bodes well for his NHL game. I thought he showed flashes last year, but was very inconsistent on the NHL level.

Sweeney has done a good job clearing some Cap space, which I assumed was for a Top 4 D, but it sounds like they may be willing to roll the dice with the youngsters? I only saw Miller (Colin) a couple of times last season, so really can't comment on him, but would love to see him earn a spot on the NHL roster next season.

I actually have very high hopes for the trio of D that the B's selected in the draft. All three appear to have skill and can skate, but also have an "edge" to their game. Good to see.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
Thanks for that, Mick, love hearing your thoughts about the D, something that I try to pay close attention to.

Not a huge fan of Morrow (think there was a reason this former 1st round pick is already on his 3rd organization) and glad to hear that Trots was so confident in the AHL playoffs. It bodes well for his NHL game. I thought he showed flashes last year, but was very inconsistent on the NHL level.

Sweeney has done a good job clearing some Cap space, which I assumed was for a Top 4 D, but it sounds like they may be willing to roll the dice with the youngsters? I only saw Miller (Colin) a couple of times last season, so really can't comment on him, but would love to see him earn a spot on the NHL roster next season.

I actually have very high hopes for the trio of D that the B's selected in the draft. All three appear to have skill and can skate, but also have an "edge" to their game. Good to see.

Grazie... I only saw C. Miller a few times, which isn't nearly enough, but his creds are strong and his development curve is similar to Trotman's. You're right, Morrow's needle meanders, but he seems to step up to the NHL with decent comfort so there are options now to activate from either the left (Morrow) or the right (C. Miller).

IMO the big thing with Sweeney is, if he thinks he's going to trade Seidenberg by next summer, he should do it now while belief is still strong in his game. I realize it isn't so much among the fans (or local media -- I'd stick with him), but for a return purpose now is the time if he's going to cut bait.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Chara-____
Seidenberg-_____
Krug-McQuaid

I'm with you on the separation, if the team wants to be a playoff team then it can't have McQ on the 2nd pairing and at the same time K.Miller on the 3rd pairing while Chara+Seids are logging top minutes, that group gets killed.

I hope that C.Miller can impress same with Morrow on the pre season giving us more well skating puck movers, I want to see C.Millers elite skating, this team needs that and it would be a big thing for us bt we might be year too early.

Nashville fans are just saying on Franson that if you want to play faster game/have fast system then Franson is not a fit and this is what Sweeney wants us to do$ and Toronto fans have agreed.

We need a topD guy who can limit Chara's+Seids minutes and stop McQ from being a top4D.

Last edited:

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
1) Sign Hayes - 2 x $2M?

2) Sign Connolly - 2 x $1.75M?

3) Decide on whether we are acquiring a veteran backup or going with one of the kids - I think we should sign a vet.

4) Target a #1/2 D-man or at least a power play d-man that plays as a #3 d-man.

5) Decide if we are extending Krug.

6) Move Kelly if possible.

7) Make the move on the d-man in #4 above.

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
What makes you think Seids is going to be significantly better next year ?

It's common knowledge that you can play your first year after tearing your ACL. But, it's not 100pct. And, you don't have the confidence it is before you make your move. In fact, he was better at the end of the year than at the beginning.

Not comparing the two players. Just using the injury as an example. Tom Brady tore his ACL in 2008. He played in 2009, but wasn't the 2007 Tom Brady when he won the MVP. He came back in 2010 and led the pats to a 14-2 record and won his 2nd MVP.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Chara-____
Seidenberg-_____
Krug-McQuaid

Trotman and Colin Miller are the two blanks .

81ragnaH

May 29, 2007
Lynn, MA
Next move likely won't be until tomorrow when he trades a grilled steak for two hotdogs and a cheeseburger. Then he'll flip the burger for another hotdog and first choice of what's next off the grill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad