Confirmed with Link: Guentzel re-signed 5yr/30M

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The only reason Jake is making 6 million a year is because hes having a good year.

If he wasn't having such a good year he wouldn't be making this much.

His good year this year is already factored into his contract.

6 was the minimum Jake was getting lol.

We’re lucky he isn’t making the Pasta deal.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So you think JR and Jake's agent negotiated a contract and didn't factor in his numbers this year?

Come on now.

I think this is realistically the first time Rutherford has gotten a contract that is below league value since he started here.

Jake’s comparables are in the 6.5 mil range without having a cup win and his insane post season numbers on their resume.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
He's making what Ehlers is making and I'm not sure he's a superior player to Ehlers. People mentioned that he should have got a Nylander deal; William Nylander is a far superior player to Jake Guentzel and if they offered a straight up deal you'd be an insane person to not take it.

This turns the Pearson contract/trade into an agonizer.

Lol what? Pens just need to move one of their 3 overpaid dmen and they will be fine.

This is good value.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
He's making what Ehlers is making and I'm not sure he's a superior player to Ehlers. People mentioned that he should have got a Nylander deal; William Nylander is a far superior player to Jake Guentzel and if they offered a straight up deal you'd be an insane person to not take it.

This turns the Pearson contract/trade into an agonizer.

Tom Wilson makes $900k less than Guentzel.

I remember people saying that Letang made too much when he signed his contract, then a few years later you had other defensemen significantly less talented or productive than Letang getting around what he made if not more. Guentzel's contract is going to look really good in a few years.

Last edited:

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I think this is realistically the first time Rutherford has gotten a contract that is below league value since he started here.

Jake’s comparables are in the 6.5 mil range without having a cup win and his insane post season numbers on their resume.

If your point is that the Pens got a good contract with Jake that's fine.

But if your saying his year this year has nothing to do with his contract i think that's way off.

I think its common sense how hes performed this year would factor into his contract.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Jake needs to Jagr it up, go to Cullen and be all like....

ZKDX9Oz.gif

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
He still needs to work on some things, but he's being paid to score goals. I'm fine with the signing as long as he gets it done in the playoffs.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yes, I absolutely turn down that deal. We finally found the perfect winger for Sid after all of these years, I'm not trading him and adding a million in salary for an unknown.

Yep. Nylander's a great young winger, but you can't discount playoff performance and mind-meld chemistry with Sid. Those aspects have special value for the Pens.

Fantastic, unexpected news. Having Jake around for 5 more years with Sid is going to result in a lot of beautiful hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad