Confirmed with Link: Guentzel re-signed 5yr/30M

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Great news. Jake is streaky like most wingers but when he is on he is lethal. And he is usually on in the playoffs.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I was thinking $6.5M, so this is a bit lower, which is nice.

Not really a steal, but not overpayment either. For a playoff performer like he has shown to be, it had to be done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freeptop

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It’s a good deal if he continues to play as he has so far this year and in the POs....let’s hope he doesn’t pull a Rust after signing....

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
Win or no win i think the upcoming off season the pens will get a lot younger and probably will trade Kessel at trade deadline among's other moves. Player with decent potential where Crosby and Malkin can groom for the next generation

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
What? Why in God's name would you rather wait to sign someone who's currently producing at a 75 point pace? That's only going to increase the contract because Guentzel is really ****ing good.

So he stays motivated and keeps up the pace that hes on.

I'm guessing Jake has made about 350k per year after taxes in his career.

Its highly motivating to be at your best every night when you have millions of dollars on the line and your not a millionaire.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Well deserved.

The thing I like most about Guentzel is he isn't dependent on who he's playing with, like some of the players we have currently or have had in the past. Meaning, no matter who he plays with, he's consistently good. Sure, he's at his best with Crosby, good players tend to play well with other good players, but Guentzel has shown he can produce regardless of who he's playing with.

I also like his game. He's good around the net, decent shot, underrated playmaker and he's getting better defensively or at least more aware. He's also shown to be a good playoff performer, in 37 playoff games he has 23 goals and 42 points. Pretty darn impressive for someone who isn't even 25 years old yet. Factor in he'll be entering his prime soon and is on pace for 70 points this season with 34 goals, this is an excellent deal. He's also one of the few left wingers we have that can consistently score if not the only one. So that's rather important given how stacked we are on the right wing.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That's pretty much what I predicted he'd get. I believe I said in the $5.5 to $6 million range (ie. the Ehlers range).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So he stays motivated and keeps up the pace that hes on.

I'm guessing Jake has made about 350k per year after taxes in his career.

Its highly motivating to be at your best every night when you have millions of dollars on the line and your not a millionaire.

And then the Penguins have Guentzel at $7.5 million, with him holding out until December next season. Sounds like a great plan to keep a guy motivated.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If he can maintain around 50-60 points a year, this seems good.

I think Jake is capable of doing that over the course of the contract.

Reactions: Ryder71

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
He's making what Ehlers is making and I'm not sure he's a superior player to Ehlers. People mentioned that he should have got a Nylander deal; William Nylander is a far superior player to Jake Guentzel and if they offered a straight up deal you'd be an insane person to not take it.

This turns the Pearson contract/trade into an agonizer.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He's making what Ehlers is making and I'm not sure he's a superior player to Ehlers. People mentioned that he should have got a Nylander deal; William Nylander is a far superior player to Jake Guentzel and if they offered a straight up deal you'd be an insane person to not take it.

I'll grant you Pastrnak has established himself as in that elite tier, but what have either of Ehlers or Nylander done to distance themselves so far ahead of Guentzel?

What does Guentzel's contract have to do with Pearson?

Reactions: TheTang58

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Jake taking his pre-game shower.

JuEmP5E.gif

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
I'll grant you Pastrnak has established himself as in that elite tier, but what have either of Ehlers or Nylander done to distance themselves so far ahead of Guentzel?
What have both Ehlers and Nylander done that Guentzel hasn't done? I guess they both managed to score 60 points the last two seasons and Guentzel didn't. There's that.

What elite tier are we talking about? I'm talking about six million dollar contracts for RFA wingers. This includes Guentzel, Nylander, Pastrnak, Ehlers. Jake Guentzel is not the best of these players nor does he have the best contract.

Seriously, the Leafs want a save a million bucks and offer you Nylander for Guentzel tomorrow; you're turning them down?
What does Guentzel's contract have to do with Pearson?
... Come on, dude. Do we have to pretend nothing impacts anything else?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Based on what is Nylander "far superior" to Guentzel? Genuinely asking, because outside of powerplay points, there's nothing there that suggests that. Nylander has 3 more ES points in 36 more games in his career than Guentzel. Guentzel has 23 career playoff goals in 37 playoff games, Nylander has never even hit 23 goals in a season.

His stat line is pretty much even with Ehlers at ES since Guentzel broke into the NHL, plus Guentzel has been an absolute monster in the playoffs. Ehlers also signed his deal when the salary cap was lower.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
I’m in love with this. I too think Jake has the potential to be a Marchand-type player.

He’s already one of the most physical players on our team which isn’t saying too much, but I think he is exactly the player this Franchise and Sid has needed since 2005.

6 million in today’s NHL is closer to a steal for Jake, IMO. Especially if he closes out the regular season and playoffs strong.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Fair deal for both sides. I would have pushed to get it into the 5s and go for max term, but I could see Guentzel wanting a chance at free agency while he's still in his 20s. Might not be the worst thing since this team may be in titanic mode by then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad