Confirmed with Link: Guentzel re-signed 5yr/30M

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
It’s a great deal if we get something near playoff Guentzel, or consistency of his current play. It’s still not bad if we get the version we saw over the last regular season.

Reactions: EightyOne

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I was unrealistically hoping for like 8 years but this is more than fine. It takes us beyond any foreseeable window and keeps the cap hit down.

I'm just glad that now I can enjoy him tearing goalies up without seeing dollar signs every time he does it. :help:

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
tenor.gif

Reactions: Ogrezilla

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Completely fair deal. I'm just not sure what kind of team they're going to have for the next few years. There's no room to do much of anything, and after that, even the little chance they'll have of a championship will be gone, so it won't really matter. That's not saying I didn't want to keep Guentzel, but these are just the things I think about with their cap.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Thank God, I was terrified of him taking a Nylander route next summer. This is a completely fair deal that's only going to look better as time goes on. Guentzel is already a terrific offensive player, I think he's going to become a Marchand type of 2-way player as he matures.

I already think of him as Marchand-lite when he's on.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Its a fair deal, but i would of rather waited til the season was over to sign him.

Hopefully he stays hungry and motivated throughout the year even though he got his contract.

Reactions: Andy99

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
That's pretty much exactly fair. I was always penciling him in on CapFriendly as 5yrs @ $5.75M but after reading a couple articles showing how consistent Guentzel has been no matter who's he's on the ice with, I was worrying about what it might look like.

That said, we've got this window only before Guentzel's cap hit goes by $5.226M. If we already didn't lack the luxury of having underperforming contracts (see: JJ, Maatta) we certainly will in 2019-20.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
He is one of the future players who will be here as Malkin and Crosby decline. Pens have to insure they have some players who are prime beef in the future.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Its a fair deal, but i would of rather waited til the season was over to sign him.

Hopefully he stays hungry and motivated throughout the year even though he got his contract.

What? Why in God's name would you rather wait to sign someone who's currently producing at a 75 point pace? That's only going to increase the contract because Guentzel is really ****ing good.

I already think of him as Marchand-lite when he's on.

I think he needs to become stronger defensively and more consistent, but the second one is the biggest one. When he's on I agree, but I'd like to see him further develop defensively and also get more consistent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad