Confirmed with Link: Guentzel re-signed 5yr/30M

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
Nice work! JR doesn’t usually sign players before the deadline but I can see why he made an exception ;)

C_pp1GIXcAEy8n0.jpg

This is the type of quality post I come here for.

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
7.2% of the cap hit. And then an even lower percentage. Probably. Depending on the impending lockout.

Currently has 33 of 330 team points THIS YEAR. So 10% of team scoring. He would already be outpacing his salary cap cost, lol. Right?

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
I am guessing that he is questioning the sustainability of his production.

I don't think he is concerned about just that. Although Jake produces a lot of shots and points, he also gives up a lot too. His differential in EV O and D (+2%) is fairly small compared to the others that have been mentioned (Nylander +6%, Ehlers +18%, Zucker +17%). It is probably a nod to while he produces his points, his underlying rates imply his shot and goal differentials aren't as good as the points he scores show for the cost. Hopefully, he gets more responsible in his own end.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Leafs fan, congrats on the deal, it's solid af, I guess you could argue due to Crosby he should get less, but how much less 200k? 300k? Meh who cares? Even if that's the case, overpaying young players ever so slightly has seldom hurt teams, it's almost always over the hill vets that get teams in trouble and if you're in trouble because of a 3-500k overpayment for a youngster, trust me, that's not the trouble you were in.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Leafs fan, congrats on the deal, it's solid af, I guess you could argue due to Crosby he should get less, but how much less 200k? 300k? Meh who cares? Even if that's the case, overpaying young players ever so slightly has seldom hurt teams, it's almost always over the hill vets that get teams in trouble and if you're in trouble because of a 3-500k overpayment for a youngster, trust me, that's not the trouble you were in.

There are a number of angles to look at it from, ya he plays with Crosby, but it isn’t a pair like Neal-Malkin where one was a complete leech.

Guentzel makes Crosby better and vice versa. Crosby only ever had this type of relationship with Hossa and that lasted only a couple months. Guys like Dupuis and Kunitz were beneficiaries of Crosby’s skill, but they rarely set him up for goals.

Guentzel and Crosby just have that mind meld going on, where they find each other all over the rink and constantly feed each other beautiful looks on net.

Also keep in mind Guentzel doesn’t get top PP time to produce points. He’s extremely skilled at tipping pucks and finding loose garbage, so I can imagine he would benefit greatly from playing the Hornqvist role on the PP full time, but he gets the PP leftovers for obvious reasons.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
There are a number of angles to look at it from, ya he plays with Crosby, but it isn’t a pair like Neal-Malkin where one was a complete leech.

Guentzel makes Crosby better and vice versa. Crosby only ever had this type of relationship with Hossa and that lasted only a couple months. Guys like Dupuis and Kunitz were beneficiaries of Crosby’s skill, but they rarely set him up for goals.

Guentzel and Crosby just have that mind meld going on, where they find each other all over the rink and constantly feed each other beautiful looks on net.

Also keep in mind Guentzel doesn’t get top PP time to produce points. He’s extremely skilled at tipping pucks and finding loose garbage, so I can imagine he would benefit greatly from playing the Hornqvist role on the PP full time, but he gets the PP leftovers for obvious reasons.

So it’s like Spock and Kirk?....got it....Jake’s gotta fight M4 and show Sid that he can’t fall in love with Rayna the android....

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
McCurdy throwing some shade on the signing.

From McCurdy's own site:
guentja94

That's a pretty ridiculous WOWY graph there, which would seem to undercut the other chart he referenced.
Basically, every player gets better when with Guentzel.

Factor in Guentzel's age and the fact that his trendline has him improving (and he should continue to do so for a few more years), and I'm rather surprised that McCurdy came to the conclusion he did. Top line players don't get only 4.5-5M contracts these days, especially not young players who are expected to continue improving.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The Hockey News said:
But the contract signing also comes at a time when it appears we’re starting to get a handle on what kind of contributions Guentzel can make as a top-six forward... producing like a top-flight winger alongside an all-world talent is a skill in itself, and Guentzel has shown he has the skillset to flourish on Crosby’s wing.

Knowing Crosby and Malkin only have a few elite years left, I can live with the contract. His contributions are invaluable while the team is still trying to win.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
My question was more so what he was basing his player analysis on, because not including production seems like a pretty damn big thing to ignore (if he's not including it). At least from reading his tweet, he seems to acknowledge that Guentzel is a gifted goal scorer, but he seems to not want to pay him what he got because his shot and penalty differentials aren't good enough. That seems super flawed to me and just seems like a problem of someone over-emphasizing advanced stats. There are no individual advanced stats that can truly show a player's worth alone, so to try to say what a player deserves based on their shot differentials seems pretty foolish to me.

How much does being on a line with Sid affect his penalty differential?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad