Confirmed with Link: Guentzel re-signed 5yr/30M

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
His avg #s aren't that different from Nylander's either. Toss in his playoff resume, and it's great. Wish it was a year or two more, but ...

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
If your point is that the Pens got a good contract with Jake that's fine.

But if your saying his year this year has nothing to do with his contract i think that's way off.

I think its common sense how hes performed this year would factor into his contract.
I think it is way off to think his continued performance this season won’t lead to an even higher price tag. The last thing you want to do is wait on these types of players. You will pay through the nose or lose them.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
1. This deal absolutely is fair market.

2. The only way to successfully navigate the cap is with some below market deals for secondary impact players. The Penguins lack for those.

Reactions: Andy99

Penguinfan66

Sep 9, 2008
very nice deal for the Pens and JG. Nice to see he must be happy staying in Pittsburgh as he just might have gotten more if he was only about the money.

On a side note are there a few people here that use to go to the official pens message board that was taken down?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

2. The only way to successfully navigate the cap is with some below market deals for secondary impact players. The Penguins lack for those.

This doesn't mention that Crosby, Malkin and Kessel are underpaid by probably $5 million or more combined. Sure, if your top players are paid fairly you need to get discounts on depth guys, but your top guys are very underpaid.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This doesn't mention that Crosby, Malkin and Kessel are underpaid by probably $5 million or more combined. Sure, if your top players are paid fairly you need to get discounts on depth guys, but your top guys are very underpaid.

You need more than that though to successfully work it. I think you know that you also either you need young players on rookie deals OR not to make sure you're not missing on contracts in the 2-4M range. That was the recipe for two back to back runs to the finals, no?

Reactions: Justin Sickways

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
The notion that we should have waited to re-sign Jake is absurd. He wasn't going to get any cheaper than this, but waiting could have easily added as much as an extra million per annum. Everything to lose and nothing to gain by waiting, I'm thrilled we got this done now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You need more than that though to successfully work it. I think you know that you also either you need young players on rookie deals OR not to make sure you're not missing on contracts in the 2-4M range. That was the recipe for two back to back runs to the finals, no?

I don't disagree, I just think it's less needed on the Penguins since so many of their top end guys are super underpaid. The Penguins do have cheaper depth players that are able to contribute right now and I think they'll have it in the future too, I don't see that as a huge problem for the Penguins. Even with Murray, Guentzel, Rust and Dumoulin being paid market value, I still think they're in a great spot with the cap.

The Penguins have Simon, Pettersson, ZAR, Riikola and Murray as guys underpaid for what they currently bring, and they have a bunch of good prospects doing well in their respective leagues (Hallander, Angello, Pavlychev, Blueger, ect). I think they're well set going into the future.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Did someone actually say Ehlers is better than Jake? Lolololololollilllollool.

And I love Ehlers.

Ehlers is better defensively, but I’ll take Guentzel in the offensive zone because he’s got unreal hockey sense.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Trade Oleksiak, Maatta and Johnson. Over 9 mil right there.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't disagree, I just think it's less needed on the Penguins since so many of their top end guys are super underpaid. The Penguins do have cheaper depth players that are able to contribute right now and I think they'll have it in the future too, I don't see that as a huge problem for the Penguins. Even with Murray, Guentzel, Rust and Dumoulin being paid market value, I still think they're in a great spot with the cap.

Spending 11M+ better than they do on Johnson, Maatta, Oleksiak, and Sheahan is the bigger issue. If you're going to miss on that many dollars, then the 5M is an issue (not sure it's quite 5M, but whether it is or it isn't, you can't miss on that much money).

Trade Oleksiak, Maatta and Johnson. Over 9 mil right there.

LOL. Posted before I saw this.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Spending 11M+ better than they do on Johnson, Maatta, Oleksiak, and Sheahan is the bigger issue. If you're going to miss on that many dollars, then the 5M is an issue (not sure it's quite 5M, but whether it is or it isn't, you can't miss on that much money).

Luckily I think you'll be clearing out $4 million of that $11 million by this off-season, because I don't see a spot for Oleksiak and Sheahan long term.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Luckily I think you'll be clearing out $4 million of that $11 million by this off-season, because I don't see a spot for Oleksiak and Sheahan long term.

That doesn't even cover Guentzel's raise (or the cost of 2 replacements).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That doesn't even cover Guentzel's raise (or the cost of 2 replacements).

The cap going up by $3 million does though, which seems to be a fair guess for the increase in the cap. You can also easily have internal replacements for guys like Oleksiak (who you don't need to replace because you already have a bunch of defensemen) and Sheahan (with Blueger).

Assuming none of the RFAs get ridiculously high contracts, the Penguins should have about $3 million to add a 3C before they're at the cap, assuming an $82 million cap. They're really not in a bad spot with the salary cap.

So you’re rolling what TB and Johnson at C?

No, you'd have about $3 million to add a 3C and I'd have Grant, Blueger and Dea as 4C candidates. My 4th line next year has ZAR, Grant and Blueger on it, with Dea as the 13th forward.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The cap going up by $3 million does though, which seems to be a fair guess for the increase in the cap. You can also easily have internal replacements for guys like Oleksiak (who you don't need to replace because you already have a bunch of defensemen) and Sheahan (with Blueger).

Assuming none of the RFAs get ridiculously high contracts, the Penguins should have about $3 million to add a 3C before they're at the cap, assuming an $82 million cap. They're really not in a bad spot with the salary cap.

They are if what they have to show for the spending on defense is THIS defense and the combo of forwards up front. Sorry . . . I'm just in the JR is crapping the bed camp.

Reactions: Justin Sickways

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
giphy.gif

Reactions: td_ice

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Looking good right now!

Going rate is $100k/point.

Pretty confident Guentzel can play at or near that level.

Last edited:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Why do people need to make me feel bad?

Can't everyone just be happy this isn't the WORST signing ever?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad