World Cup: Group F: Sweden vs. South Korea, 6/18/2018

Result?

• Total voters

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's going to take a long time to get used to VAR. In a way it's of course correct that they want to get game deciding events right, but it still rubs me wrong to break the flow of the game with reviews.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yay a goal

tenor.gif

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Claesson's yellow was well deserved. Penalty was a completely unnecessary challenge...if Claesson gets that ball he still is not in a great shooting position.

The scoreline is deserved...Korea are pitiful

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
Must've been shocking for Swedish fans to go from Ibra to guys like Toivonen and Berg.

Korea won't score a goal in this tournament.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
It's going to take a long time to get used to VAR. In a way it's of course correct that they want to get game deciding events right, but it still rubs me wrong to break the flow of the game with reviews.
It's also going to take time because the current implementation is a joke.

That was deemed "clear and obvious", why wasn't the second Argentina penalty incident reviewed? There isn't any consistency in what is reviewed and what isn't.

Then you have the offside situation where linesmen have been told not to call close offsides and let VAR deal with it. So a close offside that the linesman thinks is offside, doesn't flag, ball goes out for a corner and the attacking team score from that. Not reviewable and a direct consequence of silly implementation.

Reactions: Luigi Habs

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

That was deemed "clear and obvious", why wasn't the second Argentina penalty incident reviewed? There isn't any consistency in what is reviewed and what isn't.

Then you have the offside situation where linesmen have been told not to call close offsides and let VAR deal with it. So a close offside that the linesman thinks is offside, doesn't flag, ball goes out for a corner and the attacking team score from that. Not reviewable and a direct consequence of silly implementation.
I actually like that they don't call close offside. The offside trap is unreliable anyway and it gives an advantage to the attacker, which was FIFA policy for a long time but never called that way.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Great game. Foul every 17 seconds so the ref doesn't get criticized for not using VAR every play!!

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

I think the offside situation is the biggest issue with it.

I fully support having linesmen leave their flags down unless they're certain it was offside, but only you actually review each play. It shouldn't take more than 10-15 seconds after the play to be able to determine if it actually was offside or not, have a couple guys in the booth who entire job is monitoring offside. If it's offside, only stop the play if the attacking team still has some kind of advantage (corner, maintained possession, etc.) If the defending team has the ball, don't bother stopping it.

I don't recall the Argentina penalty claim from yesterday, so I'm not sure why it wasn't reviewed.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I actually like that they don't call close offside. The offside trap is unreliable anyway and it gives an advantage to the attacker, which was FIFA policy for a long time but never called that way.
I like it in the sense that you can't have a system that only takes goals away. They just need a system where the linesman can flag at the end of a play for offside if it doesn't lead to a goal. Teams getting attacking set pieces from incidents that a linesman thought was offside, told not to flag, it was offside and can't be reviewed? The entire thing is a bit half-baked at the moment.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I like it in the sense that you can't have a system that only takes goals away. They just need a system where the linesman can flag at the end of a play for offside if it doesn't lead to a goal. Teams getting attacking set pieces from incidents that a linesman thought was offside, told not to flag, it was offside and can't be reviewed? The entire thing is a bit half-baked at the moment.
It is. It's still a fresh system and I'm sure there will be some tweaking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad