World Cup: Group F: Sweden vs. South Korea, 6/18/2018

Result?

• Total voters

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
:-(

Why do people always pick my favorite 4th tier European NTs when making this point? Why can’t you guys **** on Latvia, Finland, or England instead?

Latvia, England and Finland aren't on the same tier with Hungary and Romania.

They advanced to the semi-finals in 2002 World Cup.

Thanks to the most blatant and obnoxious home reffing I've ever seen.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This was some REALLY brutal football to watch - absolutely zero technical skills or beautiful football, easily the worst game of the tourney thus far,

Korea was pretty much a bunch of track stars that were asked to switch sports for a two to three week period. They had worst finishing skillz than ****in' Peru and Mexico. Sweden looked like a bunch of clumsy lighter-toned people thinking the pitch was a hockey rink and put everyone behind the ball that would even make Moainho jealous. That Korean goalkeeper though was a beast, I don't know if those were once in a lifetime saves or if he's decent (@Alex Jones), but Sweden could've been up like 2-0 on halftime if it wasn't for him. That penalty was so unfortunate for Korea, he got the ball, but because the rules suck the follow through somehow randomly counts as well when it shouldn't (he got the ball first and touched it).

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
This was some REALLY brutal football to watch - absolutely zero technical skills or beautiful football, easily the worst game of the tourney thus far,

Korea was pretty much a bunch of track stars that were asked to switch sports for a two to three week period. They had worst finishing skillz than ****in' Peru and Mexico. Sweden looked like a bunch of clumsy lighter-toned people thinking the pitch was a hockey rink and put everyone behind the ball that would even make Moainho jealous. That Korean goalkeeper though was a beast, I don't know if those were once in a lifetime saves or if he's decent (@Alex Jones), but Sweden could've been up like 2-0 on halftime if it wasn't for him. That penalty was so unfortunate for Korea, he got the ball, but because the rules suck the follow through somehow randomly counts as well when it shouldn't (he got the ball first and touched it).

He's actually a good goalkeeper.

Here's a mind blowing stat. Out of the 8 forwards/midfielders that Korea played, six of them either played in a top five league last year, or played in the EL finals. Without a couple of untimely injuries/idiotic player selection, that number should have been higher. Bigger issue is horrible defense and especially F rate wingbacks, as well as braindead strategies.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
South Korea with a really dreadful game. The skill on the ball non existent, the passing laughable. long balls that were amateur attempts. On one play the pass across was so bad a Korean player injured himself badly trying to get to the ball. The Korea team was so bad it ruined the viewing experience.

This is the inherent trouble in expansionist WC and its only going to get worse. You reduce the quality so much that the entire tournament is impacted and moreso because the group stage draw and bracket side is arguably more important than the actual games played. For instance how would Belgium have to advance to face an actual credible side?

The dilution results in group stage and brackets HEAVILY skewing how far clubs can go.

I mean Portugal and Spain played on the first day in a potential death match so other groups like the one Russia is in can further knockout ticket sales for Russia fans. meanwhile good clubs will already be going home.

Thank coach shin for the amature level longball garbage. Korea almost never plays longball and are unsuited for it. If you want to play longball, why didn't he pick Suk, who is one of the better target men in Ligue 1??? If you want to bomb it out from the defense, why didn't he pick one of the several defenders that are better on the ball than Jang/Kim?? If you want to bunkerball, why didn't he pick a single natural DM for the team?

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Kim Shin Wook sucks so badly I would rather have Ji Dong Won as the main striker.

Yes, that Ji Dong Won. He's way better, and FWIW way better at headers.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Sure they were.

To be frank, Italian players were pulling down South Korean player's shirts, because they couldn't get to them quickly enough. Also, you can't call that blatant referee act for South Korea, because referees from other nations, most likely countries neutral to Korea, were making the calls. I don't think you have a grasp on the one (or two) game(s).

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
To be frank, Italian players were pulling down South Korean player's shirts, because they couldn't get to them quickly enough. Also, you can't call that blatant referee act for South Korea, because referees from other nations, most likely countries neutral to Korea, were making the calls. I don't think you have a grasp on the one (or two) game(s).

What on earth are you on about?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Tell me if the referees on that game were all from Korea.
What does it matter? The guy who reffed that game clearly favored Korea and absolutely destroyed the Italians, which was a precursor for another robbery that happened to the Spaniards in the next round. You can favor someone without being from that country FFS.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
What does it matter? The guy who reffed that game clearly favored Korea and absolutely destroyed the Italians, which was a precursor for another robbery that happened to the Spaniards in the next round. You can favor someone without being from that country FFS.

Italians were pulling on the shirts of Koreans, as shown in the video. That's clearly a foul. Spanish were offside for most of the game in the quarterfinals. I really don't know why you fail to see that. Maybe, you clearly favor Western teams over Asian ones.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Italians were pulling on the shirts of Koreans, as shown in the video. That's clearly a foul. Spanish were offside for most of the game in the quarterfinals. I really don't know why you fail to see that. Maybe, you clearly favor Western teams over Asian ones.
I suspect it was also the Italian who planted his spikes in Zambrotta's leg, or that Tomassi was actually offside, or you know Totti got sent off for valid reasons. That and the Spain game are two of the most blatant examples of refs doing a number on a team. The shirt pulling is irrelevant because Buffon saved the penalty, to latch onto that as some kind of proof the ref was good is absurd. As for the last sentence, I won't dignify that kind of rubbish with a response.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I suspect it was also the Italian who planted his spikes in Zambrotta's leg, or that Tomassi was actually offside, or you know Totti got sent off for valid reasons. That and the Spain game are two of the most blatant examples of refs doing a number on a team. The shirt pulling is irrelevant because Buffon saved the penalty, to latch onto that as some kind of proof the ref was good is absurd. As for the last sentence, I won't dignify that kind of rubbish with a response.

Despite that, they won 2-1 in extra time.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Despite that, they won 2-1 in extra time.
giphy.gif

Yeah, because the ref gave Italians a red card for reasons only he knows, didn't give a red card to the guy that put Zambrotta out of the game by planting his spikes is his upper thigh, and called back a good goal by an Italian player.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
South Korea with a really dreadful game. The skill on the ball non existent, the passing laughable. long balls that were amateur attempts. On one play the pass across was so bad a Korean player injured himself badly trying to get to the ball. The Korea team was so bad it ruined the viewing experience.

This is the inherent trouble in expansionist WC and its only going to get worse. You reduce the quality so much that the entire tournament is impacted and moreso because the group stage draw and bracket side is arguably more important than the actual games played. For instance how would Belgium have to advance to face an actual credible side?

The dilution results in group stage and brackets HEAVILY skewing how far clubs can go.

I mean Portugal and Spain played on the first day in a potential death match so other groups like the one Russia is in can further knockout ticket sales for Russia fans. meanwhile good clubs will already be going home.

Sorry, this argument is truly weak. We are talking about a game here in which Sweden only beat S.Korea by the narrowest margin, and on a penalty shot. Sweden is the team that beat Italy to get here. So who exactly is the team that should be here instead of South Korea? Where are the games with the "top" teams blowing out the "minnows" like people always complain about in the hockey World Championships?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad