Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Yeah, Argentina was set up all wrong by Sampaoli. Until Pavon came on, the wide men were useless and central players (Messi, Aguero) were taking turns running into the the crowd of Iceland players, trying to driblle past half a dozen players. There just wasn't enough creativity with the likes of Mascherano, Biglia and Banega. Lo Celso and Dybala would have been much needed.

I like Mascherano, but Biglia and Meza should come out for Pavón and Lo Celso. If they wanna go less defensive I can see swapping out Mascherano for Dybala as well.

Although by the looks of it, Sampaoli will just pick Higuaín over Dybala

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Iceland's luck comes to an end at international level, Argentina will (and everyone else in this group) silence
the nuts-o Iceland cheer for good. Iceland will lose all of their 3 group stage games without scoring a goal.

Argentina 6
Iceland O

Excited for Iceland to have all their dreams popped. Far too many "Iceland fans" around my parts for my liking

These aged reeeaaalllly well.

Reactions: pdogfizzle

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Messi/Argentina fans hot take -

Portugal drew with Iceland 1-1 on their way to a title too...if you know what I mean :cool:

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
These aged reeeaaalllly well.

I'll admit when I'm wrong. Also I don't have anything against Iceland I just find it funny that there have been a ton of Iceland flags and jerseys in my city in Ontario...Bandwagoners make me uneasy :p

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
power to Iceland they made Messi uncomfortable all game

They had 3 guys on him every time he touched the ball.

The game I feared the most was vs Iceland and it confirmed my fears. Argentina are not good in this type of games. They started well but they did not have any answer in the 2nd half.

Messi had a good first but awful 2nd. I’m the biggest Messi fan but he needs to come out more clutch here. The team around him also need to look less for him and provide more variety in their games.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Hey, I was one of only two to predict the result! :D :naughty::popcorn:

Ok mods. You really have to close the polls when the game starts.

Ops, now I'm only one of three. :D

Anyway, congrats to Iceland with the point.

(edit: changed it back for my own part to what I had before the game started. I guess it is of no importance anyways.)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'll admit when I'm wrong. Also I don't have anything against Iceland I just find it funny that there have been a ton of Iceland flags and jerseys in my city in Ontario...Bandwagoners make me uneasy :p

Are there flags and jerseys during any other period?

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Next game I’d go with
Caballer, Mercado, Otamendi, Fazio, Rojo, Mascherano, Lo Celso, Messi, Dybala, Pavon, Aguero.

Sampaoli would never do that though.

Reactions: robertmac43

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
power to Iceland they made Messi uncomfortable all game
Di María was a ghost as usual, Agüero went quiet, Higuaín subbed too late to make an impact, Dybala not given a chance. Those Vikings towered over the Argentines in the box too :laugh:

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
Not impressed by the lack of options on offense for Argentina. It was all Messi banging his head against a wall of Icelanders.

But I agree this might be the toughest game for them. I doubt other teams are as committed to defense as Iceland.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
  • Pavon and Lo Celso need to start the next match, Dybala probably as well.
  • Messi shouldn't be taking penalties. I've said it before for Barça. Aguero should have taken that one.
  • Messi wasn't at his best, but he didn't have any room to operate. It also doesn't help when your teammates either can't play a one-two or take a glacial age to do so.
  • Ref was poor. Didn't call multiple fouls on Iceland in the last 20 minutes or so and should have given them at least a yellow.
  • Pavon clearly clipped in the box and the ref goes over lectures him about diving?
  • Hopefully Iceland don't get out of the group stage. 11 behind the ball makes for really boring football. It's also not that impressive. I actually like the country and would root for them over quite a few other NTs, but this sort of performance does nothing for me. Of course had Messi converted his penalty we might have seen something different.

Messi vs Ronaldo, similar situation. Messi hit the wall once again.

No, it wasn't a similar situation when you look at where the respective freekicks were taken from.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Btw Messi missed 4 of his last 7 penalties.

Will somebody sit with him and tell him the truth?

Tell him ahead of time, but yeah I agree, make the change. Depends on who is on the pitch, but like I said I'd have had Aguero take that. I'd have been more confident of Aguero converting it, which had he done so would have added to Aguero's confidence.

Reactions: Luigi Habs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille