• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Messi/Argentina fans hot take -

Portugal drew with Iceland 1-1 on their way to a title too...if you know what I mean :cool:

There is going to be a lot of complaining about the way Iceland plays. Maybe they should have been more aggressive and lost a respectable 3-1 :sarcasm:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
not entirely unexpected. argentina is trash outside of messi

and in case there was ever any doubt over who's better......

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Messi was never a good penalty taker. He takes them because he’s his team’s best player. He needs to let Aguero take them for his own good and the good of his team.

I would tend t agree. But i see why teams stick with their best players, always helps the confidence to score an easy one

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
This Argentina team is mediocre at best, they could easily lose to Croatia and get beat by France in the knockout if they advance. No midfield at all, the defence is slow and the goalie bad.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Messi - 10 shots, 0 goals and a missed PK against Iceland.

Cristiano - 4 shots, 3 goals against Spain.

The midget keeps choking for Argentina. A decade of this nonsense while Cristiano continuously carries Portugal.

“AINEC.”

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
As far taking penalties go, it' a dammed if you do, damned if you don't kind of thing. If Iguain or Aguero shanks it, everbody gets crucified if they miss. If Messi misses, people just shrug.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
  • Hopefully Iceland don't get out of the group stage. 11 behind the ball makes for really boring football. It's also not that impressive. I actually like the country and would root for them over quite a few other NTs, but this sort of performance does nothing for me. Of course had Messi converted his penalty we might have seen something different.
How Iceland should play in your opinion? Its a very little nation with a population around 300000.
Its their only chance to get good results. Its a huge performence to even be at WC with a population similar to Bufallo.

The weakness is not Iceland. Its the Fifa who wants to much Teams at WC.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Argentina barely beat Iran in the last WC on stoppage time in a similar game. These type of opponent-park-the-bus group stage games are not their forte. Messi looked like someone robbed him of his soul though.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I think it's safe to say that Messi's nerves just don't hold up when the big potato is on the line.

Whenever we talk about Messi vs. Ronaldo we look at the technical aspect and their pure talents and while I think Messi has the slight edge, I just think Ronaldo is mentally far superior than Messi which is weird when you watch both of them play.

One appears to have a very emotion laden expression on his face when things are on the line and starts to "complain" and just yap a lot (CR) and the other just appears to be very calm and collected on the surface without many gestures (Messi). But the reality seems to be that Ronaldo just uses this outlet to stay focused while Messi just seems to lose focus and just blows up internally.

Today's game was a prime example when you could watch Messi's play deteriorate with every second closer to the final whistle.
I'm clearly biased because I'm a Real fan, but I truly wish Messi would get it all together and win a world cup to just cement his legacy. If he doesn't win it it won't completely diminish his achievements but he will probably be on a level with Cruyff rather than be Maradona's heir apparent.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
  • Pavon and Lo Celso need to start the next match, Dybala probably as well.
  • Messi shouldn't be taking penalties. I've said it before for Barça. Aguero should have taken that one.
  • Messi wasn't at his best, but he didn't have any room to operate. It also doesn't help when your teammates either can't play a one-two or take a glacial age to do so.
  • Ref was poor. Didn't call multiple fouls on Iceland in the last 20 minutes or so and should have given them at least a yellow.
  • Pavon clearly clipped in the box and the ref goes over lectures him about diving?
  • Hopefully Iceland don't get out of the group stage. 11 behind the ball makes for really boring football. It's also not that impressive. I actually like the country and would root for them over quite a few other NTs, but this sort of performance does nothing for me. Of course had Messi converted his penalty we might have seen something different.

No, it wasn't a similar situation when you look at where the respective freekicks were taken from.

Don't know about anyone else but I thought it was a good game. Besides, what else are they going to do? They're not going to take Argentina on man-to-man so make it difficult for them. They got a draw against Portugal, beat England and now drew against Argentina doing it so it cleary works.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Messi - 10 shots, 0 goals and a missed PK against Iceland.

Cristiano - 4 shots, 3 goals against Spain.

The midget keeps choking for Argentina. A decade of this nonsense while Cristiano continuously carries Portugal.

“AINEC.”

That's an interesting way to say Portugal carried CR7 to the only success they've experienced since Figo retired when the Euro expansion & not having to lose to germany meant that they actually got out of their group for once ;-)

Reactions: les Habs

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I think it's safe to say that Messi's nerves just don't hold up when the big potato is on the line.

Whenever we talk about Messi vs. Ronaldo we look at the technical aspect and their pure talents and while I think Messi has the slight edge, I just think Ronaldo is mentally far superior than Messi which is weird when you watch both of them play.

One appears to have a very emotion laden expression on his face when things are on the line and starts to "complain" and just yap a lot (CR) and the other just appears to be very calm and collected on the surface without many gestures (Messi). But the reality seems to be that Ronaldo just uses this outlet to stay focused while Messi just seems to lose focus and just blows up internally.

Today's game was a prime example when you could watch Messi's play deteriorate with every second closer to the final whistle.
I'm clearly biased because I'm a Real fan, but I truly wish Messi would get it all together and win a world cup to just cement his legacy. If he doesn't win it it won't completely diminish his achievements but he will probably be on a level with Cruyff rather than be Maradona's heir apparent.

Again as a big Messi and Argentina fan Messi is and will remain the best player of all time. Ronaldo is best poacher of all time and much more clutch than Messi.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
This Argentina team has no athleticism and no character. They couldn't make any adjustments, and Iceland deserved this point.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
That's an interesting way to say Portugal carried CR7 to the only success they've experienced since Figo retired when the Euro expansion & not having to lose to germany meant that they actually got out of their group for once ;-)

It’s crazy how every post of yours can somehow relate back to Germany, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino