• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think it was @The Abusement Park who posted a ridiculous stat that Iceland haven't lost a game in two years or something. They're not an easy team, this isn't as big of an upset as the ****s on Fox Sports think it is.

If I have to keep seeing Alexis face though, omfg I might have to tune out. Such a tool.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Marked? We might have differing definitions of being marked, but Messi wasn't marked. Iceland stood solid in their own half, and sure they were "mixing cement" but the supposedly "best player in the world" couldn't find his way through their defense.

There is a difference between man-to-man and zone defense, you guys know that, right?

Nobody is talking about a man-to-man defense. He was jumped and crowded by at least three players every time he touched the ball so the baldie (I can't spell his name) was not the only one who had to deal with him.

I was not offended by your attempt at evaluating Messi. It just occurred to me you watched two matches and decided you had it all figured out.

Now I begin to wonder whether you even did watch those two.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Nothing more to say. Guy feels that if a guy doesn't have individual marking, he's not marked.

And tries to tell us what zonal marking is.
You know, with the word MARKING in it.

And then he tells me my english is off :laugh:

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Last time I saw so many upset French people I was in Lambersart flirting with housewives.

I'll retreat to my "Oberliga" sanctuary.
Keep chasing the dream people, even when your hair turns gray.. you might one day achieve that Futbol Expert Badge. Never too late!

You can't be surprised to have gotten some schtick for that *shrug*

It's just the most obnoxious kind of appeal to authority that anyone could use to save a failing argument. Especially when there are so many great coaches who were never great players. Sure Netzer is both an all time great & a phenomenal pundit, but you don't need to have played at the highest levels to be very knowledgeable about this sport & get your coaching certificate, or to scout for a club, so why should any of us care more about what level you played than the quality of your points? I've gotten into arguments about football over beers with guys who actually went to a world cup lol, so why should I defer to some anonymous spanish player who played "in germany" at some anonymous level?

It's not even about disagreeing with the consensus, since many of us disagree with each other constantly...hell my positions are probably even further from the consensus than yours...but you're dismissive attitude after a very conveniently timed post, isn't going to get much support from anyone other than other ronaldo fanboys :dunno:

Mind you, I think both Messi & Ronaldo get over-rated by a lot of folks who just look at their results without considering the radical changes to both this sport & medicine/sport-science. So I'm no Messi-fanboy, I just like teasing CR7 fanboys.

Last edited:

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Multiple players. It was zonal marking and he was often times surrounded by multiple players as pretty much everyone who has commented on it has noted, except you of course.

So HE wasn't marked. Thanks for confirming.

It was a zone defense, which is a pretty basic thing in le futbol as you would know.

The defense zone gets triggered as soon as the active player enters it, so this is completely irrelevant from WHO the player was then.

Messi had A LOT of room on the mid end of the half but simply didn't find a way through the zone defense. His passes were inaccurate and sloppy, especially towards the end. Then he became frustrated and attempted dribbling right through the defense which didn't work either.

Again, Messi became frustrated with every second closer to the end. I'm sorry that it's something that hurts you, but it is what it is. It was NOT a good game by Messi, the missed penalty was not the only reason to deem this a bad performance but this was more so the cherry on top.

You can dick ride the guy all you want, you will still look silly if you claim he had "a good effort" because his off target shots, which were forced by great zone defense, came "close to the goal".

This wasn't the worst game in history, but this wasn't worthy of "the greatest player in history".

Now excuse me while I leave this french circle jerk, I'd be upset too if had to watch this lackluster effort against Australia AND then had to watch my "mostest, bestest player of ze world" play a sub par game against Iceland.

Adieu a tout :)

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think it was @The Abusement Park who posted a ridiculous stat that Iceland haven't lost a game in two years or something. They're not an easy team, this isn't as big of an upset as the ****s on Fox Sports think it is.

If I have to keep seeing Alexis face though, omfg I might have to tune out. Such a tool.

I don’t think I brought up that stat. But I have said that they’re one of the best coached soccer federations in the world. Top to bottom at every age their coaches are of the most elite level. People have been sleeping on Iceland and thinking they’re still a bad team when they’re actually a fantastically coached team that while obviously isn’t in the top 2 tiers of national teams but definitely in that 3rd tier.

Reactions: S E P H

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

It's just the most obnoxious kind of appeal to authority that anyone could use to save a failing argument. Especially when there are so many great coaches who were never great players. Sure Netzer is both an all time great & a phenomenal pundit, but you don't need to have played at the highest levels to be very knowledgeable about this sport & get your coaching certificate, or to scout for a club, so why should any of us care more about what level you played than the quality of your points?

It's not even about disagreeing with the consensus, since many of us disagree with each other constantly...hell my positions are probably even further from the consensus than yours...but you're dismissive attitude after a very conveniently timed post, isn't going to get much support from anyone other than other ronaldo fanboys :dunno:

Mind you, I think both Messi & Ronaldo get over-rated by a lot of folks who just look at their results without considering the radical changes to both this sport & medicine/sport-science. So I'm no Messi-fanboy, I just like teasing CR7 fanboys.
The inverse is just as fun though, you should give it a whirl sometime :naughty:

Reactions: cgf

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So HE wasn't marked. Thanks for confirming.

It was a zone defense, which is a pretty basic thing in le futbol as you would know.

The defense zone gets triggered as soon as the active player enters it, so this is completely irrelevant from WHO the player was then.
So that confirms it. You have no idea of what zonal marking is.
Thank you.

Now excuse me while I leave this french circle jerk, I'd be upset too if had to watch this lackluster effort against Australia AND then had to watch my "mostest, bestest player of ze world" play a sub par game against Iceland.

Adieu a tout :)
BTW, I think I'm the only french guy here, so maybe you need to once again think twice.
And not upset at all. Tough wins against tough physical regrouped opponents are usually nerves testing.

And I can't see what it has to do with the fact you have no idea of what zonal marking is. :dunno:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The inverse is just as fun though, you should give it a whirl sometime :naughty:

Oh I have :laugh:

LH is just too reasonable in arguments usually and takes my teasing too seriously for it to still be fun. But I do still like teasing more ignorant Messi-fanboys than him & D2M lol

Last edited:

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017

It's just the most obnoxious kind of appeal to authority that anyone could use to save a failing argument. Especially when there are so many great coaches who were never great players. Sure Netzer is both an all time great & a phenomenal pundit, but you don't need to have played at the highest levels to be very knowledgeable about this sport & get your coaching certificate, or to scout for a club, so why should any of us care more about what level you played than the quality of your points?

Just for the record, I don't mind disagreeing opinions and usually have no problems in having proper discussions.
I just react a bit allergic when the introductory response is "you are clueless/uninformed".

So, for what it's worth, my vitriol and dismissive nature stems more from the initial ad hominem attack than the disagreeing nature of the response.

I don't have a problem with anyone here personally, I don't know any of you personally and vice versa, I'm sure we probably would all even have a good time at a bar lifting a drink or two while watching the cup, but I don't see a point in trying to convince complete strangers from my personal experience in the sport that has given me a lot of opportunities and has shaped my life while I'm being told I "know nothing".

I get that this is a closed group and most here know the regular football posters on here, but a little less of the "psh, who are you?" attitude goes a long way.

Arguments from authority are always silly and make you look like a douchebag and I just embraced that role for the simple fact I received a rather rude welcome from the "regulars".

I assume you are from Germany (the Oberliga-jab) so I'm also confident you are aware of the "the way you shout into the woods (Wie man in den Wald ruft...) expression, so this is what you are seeing.

In any case, I'll let you guys be. Enjoy the World Cup either way, apologies for my arrogance. Peace on earth.. or hfboards.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Just for the record, I don't mind disagreeing opinions and usually have no problems in having proper discussions.
I just react a bit allergic when the introductory response is "you are clueless/uninformed".

So, for what it's worth, my vitriol and dismissive nature stems more from the initial ad hominem attack than the disagreeing nature of the response.

I don't have a problem with anyone here personally, I don't know any of you personally and vice versa, I'm sure we probably would all even have a good time at a bar lifting a drink or two while watching the cup, but I don't see a point in trying to convince complete strangers from my personal experience in the sport that has given me a lot of opportunities and has shaped my life while I'm being told I "know nothing".

I get that this is a closed group and most here know the regular football posters on here, but a little less of the "psh, who are you?" attitude goes a long way.

Arguments from authority are always silly and make you look like a *****ebag and I just embraced that role for the simple fact I received a rather rude welcome from the "regulars".

I assume you are from Germany (the Oberliga-jab) so I'm also confident you are aware of the "the way you shout into the woods (Wie man in den Wald ruft...) expression, so this is what you are seeing.

In any case, I'll let you guys be. Enjoy the World Cup either way, apologies for my arrogance. Peace on earth.. or hfboards.

Your first post was so aggro though...unless I missed earlier posts...it felt like you came in here swinging. So even if it was meant somewhat tongue in cheek, no one was gunna get that and you were gunna get fierce pushback on that post. Even from non Messi-fanboys :dunno:

Like how did you expect people to respond to a post like that? I've seen if from RoyisaLegend for years so I just tease him back about it, but even he gets a similar reaction from many when he comes in here trolling the messi-fans *shrug*

Reactions: koyvoo

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Your first post was so aggro though...unless I missed earlier posts...it felt like you came in here swinging. So even if it was meant somewhat tongue in cheek, no one was gunna get that and you were gunna get fierce pushback on that post. Even from non Messi-fanboys :dunno:

Like how did you expect people to respond to a post like that? I've seen if from RoyisaLegend for years so I just tease him back about it, but even he gets a similar reaction from many when he comes in here trolling the messi-fans *shrug*

I figured that wishing that Messi would win the cup despite not being a Barca/Argentina fan, would be enough to convince people that this isn't a "Ronaldo > Messi LOL AINEC" statement but just an observation.

I should have known that Messi vs Ronaldo is a very sensitive topic for some even though I personally don't give a damn about either one doing better than the other.

I'll chalk it up to misunderstanding of intent and the responses were just sheer emotion/frustration seeing that my post was so close after the game.

Oh well, no hard feelings.

edit: There was no attempt at trolling any fan boys. Just an innocent observation.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Don't think anyone took ombrage about the Messi/Ronaldo debate in your post.
That's like the least problematic thing in your post.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Don't think anyone took ombrage about the Messi/Ronaldo debate in your post.
That's like the least problematic thing in your post.

I'll do you a favor since you seem so hell bent in trying to be a certain way. I mean I do remember you from waaaay back, so I'll just do what I should have done when I saw your username.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don't remember you. Which says it all.

Look :
- you told us Messi wasn't marked.
- you told us YOU knew because of your football experience, saying others couldn't evaluate properly.
- you said Messi wasn't on Maradona or Cruyff level.
- you insisted Messi wasn't marked because of zonal marking
- you tried to troll about France twice, unfortunately for you, I couldn't care any less. No idea why you thought plenty of us were french and also no idea how my nationality is relevant to the discussion.
- you told us you were leaving and you still continue to post shit.
- finally, you now try to act like a victim of people being too rough with you even though you didn't post anything bad (see list above).

So grow some ***** and stop acting like a victim while you created the whole mess.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
At least you created on e heck of a consensus I'll give you that. Everyone here could agree how much of an arrogant ass you were and how wrong you were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad