Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Portugal embarrassingly drew with Iceland and Ronaldo captained them to winning the tournament.

Your turn, Messi.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I think it's safe to say that Messi's nerves just don't hold up when the big potato is on the line.

Whenever we talk about Messi vs. Ronaldo we look at the technical aspect and their pure talents and while I think Messi has the slight edge, I just think Ronaldo is mentally far superior than Messi which is weird when you watch both of them play.

One appears to have a very emotion laden expression on his face when things are on the line and starts to "complain" and just yap a lot (CR) and the other just appears to be very calm and collected on the surface without many gestures (Messi). But the reality seems to be that Ronaldo just uses this outlet to stay focused while Messi just seems to lose focus and just blows up internally.

Today's game was a prime example when you could watch Messi's play deteriorate with every second closer to the final whistle.
I'm clearly biased because I'm a Real fan, but I truly wish Messi would get it all together and win a world cup to just cement his legacy. If he doesn't win it it won't completely diminish his achievements but he will probably be on a level with Cruyff rather than be Maradona's heir apparent.

This is one of the most uninformed posts I've seen.

You clearly do not watch Messi with any sort of regularity much less know his history as a player. The number of times he's come up big in his career is more than any other current active player, including Ronaldo. CL Finals, multiple Clasicos including head-to-head vs Ronaldo, Copa Finals, big league matches, etc. FFS, just look at how Argentina got into this tournament.

Messi blows up internally? He didn't do that in this match. He also didn't deteriorate with every second closer to the final whistle. He had a fantastic effort in the second half that was almost on target. And to compare this match to Portugal - Spain, which you haven't done but someone like @RoyIsALegend did, is just stupid.

So Messi has to win a World Cup to cement his legacy but Ronaldo doesn't? I love Cruyff, but Messi is better than him. He's also been better than Maradona. World Cup wins in terms of a "cementing a player's legacy" are overblown. They're also ridiculously used as some sort of measuring stick when it comes to Messi despite everything he's accomplished.

Do yourself a favor. Watch Messi play more than the odd World Cup match and do some homework on his career. He's consistently been a big match player his entire career.

Reactions: Luigi Habs

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
How Iceland should play in your opinion? Its a very little nation with a population around 300000.
Its their only chance to get good results. Its a huge performence to even be at WC with a population similar to Bufallo.

The weakness is not Iceland. Its the Fifa who wants to much Teams at WC.

Don't know about anyone else but I thought it was a good game. Besides, what else are they going to do? They're not going to take Argentina on man-to-man so make it difficult for them. They got a draw against Portugal, beat England and now drew against Argentina doing it so it cleary works.

I didn't say Iceland should play differently. I said it's not impressive, boring and that I hope they don't make it out of the group stage as a result.

Reactions: Luigi Habs

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
*shrug* it's only because your only football-posts are about a guy who's germany's b**** ;-)

Not at all, I have commented in each match thread. Yesterday people talked about De Gea’s howler, you brought up Neuer. The game finished, your observation was that neither team poses a threat to Germany. In this one, it’s about somehow avoiding Germany last tournament. Somebody says Ronaldo is best poacher ever, you talk about Gerd. It’s okay dude, you’re a hardcore German fan and I respect that, but you don’t need to inject it in literally every single thread and post.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Not at all, I have commented in each match thread. Yesterday people talked about De Gea’s howler, you brought up Neuer. The game finished, your observation was that neither team poses a threat to Germany. In this one, it’s about somehow avoiding Germany last tournament. Somebody says Ronaldo is best poacher ever, you talk about Gerd. It’s okay dude, you’re a hardcore German fan and I respect that, but you don’t need to inject it in literally every single thread and post.

Actually, I was alluding to ter Stegen, not Neuer when folks were talking about DDG ;-)

You must've missed the essays I've written about Uruguay, Colombia, Morocco, Mexico, and a bunch other teams...the same way I must have missed your posts that weren't felating CR7 :dunno:

As for Gerd, why wouldn't a mention the greatest poacher of all time when people bring up the subject?

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
This is one of the most uninformed posts I've seen.

You clearly do not watch Messi with any sort of regularity much less know his history as a player. The number of times he's come up big in his career is more than any other current active player, including Ronaldo. CL Finals, multiple Clasicos including head-to-head vs Ronaldo, Copa Finals, big league matches, etc. FFS, just look at how Argentina got into this tournament.

Messi blows up internally? He didn't do that in this match. He also didn't deteriorate with every second closer to the final whistle. He had a fantastic effort in the second half that was almost on target. And to compare this match to Portugal - Spain, which you haven't done but someone like @RoyIsALegend did, is just stupid.

So Messi has to win a World Cup to cement his legacy but Ronaldo doesn't? I love Cruyff, but Messi is better than him. He's also been better than Maradona. World Cup wins in terms of a "cementing a player's legacy" are overblown. They're also ridiculously used as some sort of measuring stick when it comes to Messi despite everything he's accomplished.

Do yourself a favor. Watch Messi play more than the odd World Cup match and do some homework on his career. He's consistently been a big match player his entire career.

You are veeeeeeery upset.

Must have hit a nerve there hm?

As a Spaniard who's played soccer for 20+ in Germany I'll continue to be confident in my evaluations of the game itself and the players.

The fact that you didn't pick up on Messi's deteriorating play in the last 10 minutes against Iceland tells me all I need to know about your expertise on this topic. Which in turn just makes me shrug my shoulders when you tell people they are uninformed.

I remember now why I don't frequent this board as often, there is always that one wannabe analyst that believes to know more than the people who have actually played the game their whole life and were also rather successful in doing so.

In the meantime continue polishing those "Clasico Trophies", I've heard they are beautiful.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
I think it's safe to say that Messi's nerves just don't hold up when the big potato is on the line.

Whenever we talk about Messi vs. Ronaldo we look at the technical aspect and their pure talents and while I think Messi has the slight edge, I just think Ronaldo is mentally far superior than Messi which is weird when you watch both of them play.

One appears to have a very emotion laden expression on his face when things are on the line and starts to "complain" and just yap a lot (CR) and the other just appears to be very calm and collected on the surface without many gestures (Messi). But the reality seems to be that Ronaldo just uses this outlet to stay focused while Messi just seems to lose focus and just blows up internally.

Today's game was a prime example when you could watch Messi's play deteriorate with every second closer to the final whistle.
I'm clearly biased because I'm a Real fan, but I truly wish Messi would get it all together and win a world cup to just cement his legacy. If he doesn't win it it won't completely diminish his achievements but he will probably be on a level with Cruyff rather than be Maradona's heir apparent.

Sorry, but what you said was about as safe as entering a minefield. How many matches a year you watch -- five?

Huge part of the reason Cristiano looked so good yesterday was the fact that, unlike Iceland, Spain did not stay on their own half in ten men almost all the time.

Did you see how Iceland marked Messi? He could only dream of the space Ronaldo had yesterday. Yeah, he blew the penalty, but that's about as much as we can say. Iceland plays the way Greece played in 2004. It will be a tough nut to crack for anyone. The moment they scored the equalizer, I knew the score was likely to remain at 1:1, simply because Iceland would only destroy from then on.

Reactions: les Habs

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sorry, but what you said was about as safe as entering a minefield. How many matches a year you watch -- five?

Huge part of the reason Cristiano looked so good yesterday was the fact that, unlike Iceland, Spain did not stay on their own half in ten men almost all the time.

Did you see how Iceland marked Messi? He could only dream of the space Ronaldo had yesterday. Yeah, he blew the penalty, but that's about as much as we can say. Iceland plays the way Greece played in 2004. It will be a tough nut to crack for anyone. The moment they scored the equalizer, I knew the score was likely to remain at 1:1, simply because Iceland would only destroy from then on.

How dare you question an oberliga legend?! :sarcasm:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
You are veeeeeeery upset.

Must have hit a nerve there hm?

As a Spaniard who's played soccer for 20+ in Germany I'll continue to be confident in my evaluations of the game itself and the players.

The fact that you didn't pick up on Messi's deteriorating play in the last 10 minutes against Iceland tells me all I need to know about your expertise on this topic. Which in turn just makes me shrug my shoulders when you tell people they are uninformed.

I remember now why I don't frequent this board as often, there is always that one wannabe analyst that believes to know more than the people who have actually played the game their whole life and were also rather successful in doing so.

In the meantime continue polishing those "Clasico Trophies", I've heard they are beautiful.

LOL. I'm not upset. If I were upset I would probably gone down the line of examples much more than I did. I'm just correcting another clueless post.

As a Spaniard who's played soccer for 20+ (minutes? hours? days?) in Germany you sure like to demonstrate that you're not too well versed in the game and that you aren't good at evaluating much. This isn't the first time either so I can understand why you don't frequent this board.

Oh, so now it's the last 10 minutes? Any other goal posts you want to move? Either way, the answer is still no. He had some bad moments in that period, but other moments where he was the same he was earlier in the match.

As I expected though, nothing significant in your reply.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
You just described all the newbies that come here for the WC and teach us all we need to know about the sport.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
They should apologize to all football romantics for their small nation mentally, it was true when Ronaldo whined it 2 years ago, and it’s true now.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017

Marked? We might have differing definitions of being marked, but Messi wasn't marked. Iceland stood solid in their own half, and sure they were "mixing cement" but the supposedly "best player in the world" couldn't find his way through their defense.

There is a difference between man-to-man and zone defense, you guys know that, right?

I watch ONE game a year, today I fulfilled my quota just to piss off a bunch of guys on a hockey board bitching and moaning about my uninformed opinion on the history's best player in the world... ever,.. like full on elite!

I'm gonna go play FIFA 12 now and slide tackle the shit out of Messi and then score own goals with Barcelona while using my second controller to score own goals with Argentina too.

So many experts, I'll ring up Beckenbauer. He can learn a thing or two from reading all this.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

Did you see how Iceland marked Messi? He could only dream of the space Ronaldo had yesterday
. Yeah, he blew the penalty, but that's about as much as we can say. Iceland plays the way Greece played in 2004. It will be a tough nut to crack for anyone. The moment they scored the equalizer, I knew the score was likely to remain at 1:1, simply because Iceland would only destroy from then on.

Exactly. Which puts what @RoyIsALegend posted into context and that's not to mention Ronaldo's second goal coming as a result of GK error.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It’s not absolute that any percentage of provoke who did in fact watch both would lean toward one or the other.

I know, but it's a world cup. I have two years of nationalism to work through over the next 5 weeks :laugh:

We'd have to really define our parameters because Gerd never had CR7's physical gifts...but I've still never seen someone who can swivel in the box like Gerd, and his off the ball movement was just surreal. So if we're talking about the specific "poacher traits" then I would have to give to gerd by a clear margin, but if we were just talking about effectiveness as a poacher...and we weren't talking about it during a WM or EM lol...then we'd have a serious debate on our hands.

Reactions: koyvoo

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Last time I saw so many upset French people I was in Lambersart flirting with housewives.

I'll retreat to my "Oberliga" sanctuary.
Keep chasing the dream people, even when your hair turns gray.. you might one day achieve that Futbol Expert Badge. Never too late!

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Marked? We might have differing definitions of being marked, but Messi wasn't marked. Iceland stood solid in their own half, and sure they were "mixing cement" but the supposedly "best player in the world" couldn't find his way through their defense.

There is a difference between man-to-man and zone defense, you guys know that, right?

I watch ONE game a year, today I fulfilled my quota just to piss off a bunch of guys on a hockey board *****ing and moaning about my uninformed opinion on the history's best player in the world... ever,.. like full on elite!

I'm gonna go play FIFA 12 now and slide tackle the **** out of Messi and then score own goals with Barcelona while using my second controller to score own goals with Argentina too.

So many experts, I'll ring up Beckenbauer. He can learn a thing or two from reading all this.

:help: All of it though... You know it's WC season as @Evilo noted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->