GDT: Group B - May 12 - Canada vs Finland

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
macdavid is not a winner, too shelfish and zero defence and makes dump desicions

"too selfish" literally passes too much and needs to shoot more. Makes all his linemates better - turned Maroon into a 27 goal scorer. All evidence points to the contrary.

"zero defense" literally lead the entire NHL in takeaways and is terrific defensively.

"makes dumb decisions" leads the NHL in points in back to back years as a young man

lmao you guys

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
As a Finn, it sure looked scary there for a while in the 2nd. At that time, I was not exactly panicking though, but mostly praying for the horn, because I knew it would get easier for Finland when they'd get back on the bench closer to their own net. Big reason Canada looked so dominant in the 2nd was because they could bring in fresh men to add to the o-zone pressure right from the bench. Defending a 3-1 felt much more comfortable after that, though Finland didn't really ever stop playing and concentrate on simply hanging onto the lead. Tolvanen putting this one to bed was a prime example of that.

Still, it'd be awfully arrogant to say Canada is simply this bad overall, or that Finland is this good. Especially not after 2016, where Canada paid back the earlier humiliation when it hurt the most. As for tonight, the difference in talent between Canada and Finland was about the same as between Finland and Denmark earlier. When you have an off game in a situation like that, the underdog can win.

And oh yeah, goalies were a big factor here. Canada pretty much lost this game on McBackup. With a better netminder in, it wouldn't have been advantage Finland so soon. In the other end, Säteri definitely had one of his better forms on.

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
Honestly, I didn't expect this win especially not with this result. I hope the game against Denmark was the only bad game, if it's the case it doesn't matter because it was in the preliminary round.
Chances are good now not to face Sweden or Russia in quarterfinal.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Barzal sucker punched Savinainen in the back of the head when Barzal was already changing off the ice. And Ekblad took Savinainens stick off the ice after that and took it to canadas team bench. Nothing bad just stupidly childish. Both seem like sore losers

True, stupid and childish. They should know better.

EDIT: Okay, watched that. What a f***ing stupid behavior...

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Lot of our media is also in swedish, which you prolly understand mostly. There's also googletranslate, which works verywell between nordic languages bcs of "hurris". :P

Are there that many ethnic Swedes in Finland? Just curious.

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
Finland wasn't that great. Canada just was horrible. No talent, no heart. I guess this is what you get when Finland's b-team and Canada's d-team plays against.

Of course Finland exploited the mistakes in the Canadian defense especially also from the goalies. But saying Canada has a d-team in this tournament is exaggerated. Ok I think there are better goalies in the NHL. Canada just played worse this evening than Finland against Denmark.

Reactions: Koijari

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
As a Finn, it sure looked scary there for a while in the 2nd. At that time, I was not exactly panicking though, but mostly praying for the horn, because I knew it would get easier for Finland when they'd get back on the bench closer to their own net. Big reason Canada looked so dominant in the 2nd was because they could bring in fresh men to add to the o-zone pressure right from the bench. Defending a 3-1 felt much more comfortable after that, though Finland didn't really ever stop playing and concentrate on simply hanging onto the lead. Tolvanen putting this one to bed was a prime example of that.

Still, it'd be awfully arrogant to say Canada is simply this bad overall, or that Finland is this good. Especially not after 2016, where Canada paid back the earlier humiliation when it hurt the most. As for tonight, the difference in talent between Canada and Finland was about the same as between Finland and Denmark earlier. When you have an off game in a situation like that, the underdog can win.

And oh yeah, goalies were a big factor here. Canada pretty much lost this game on McBackup. With a better netminder in, it wouldn't have been advantage Finland so soon. In the other end, Säteri definitely had one of his better forms on.

No way Team Canada face Finland again in this tournament with half-throttle, if teams meet again. You're absolutely right about that. Good feeling from this must be processed fast and in relation to it's real meaning. No room for over-hype.

Still it feels damn good now, as unexpected it was. :)

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Barzal sucker punched Savinainen in the back of the head when Barzal was already changing off the ice. And Ekblad took Savinainens stick off the ice after that and took it to canadas team bench. Nothing bad just stupidly childish. Both seem like sore losers

It's quite bad when players from bench start hitting players who are playing on ice. If it was before the whistle it can be couple of games.

Solnik

Apr 3, 2018
Olkusz
Wow what a win! Finland showed great team effort for the whole 60 minutes. Top lines were amazing as usual and Eeli came in very well. With him even third line wasn't that bad. Defenders were too nervous with the puck but fortunately without many costly turnovers. And Sateri... He was huge on this one!
Sure, the Finns were lucky at some points but you have to be good to be lucky.

Reactions: Ippenator

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

It's a bit complicated. They are mostly Swedish speaking Finns, not that much Swedes. Many of those were really important for the independence of Finland, and national awakening. Known examples include famous composer Sibelius and maybe nowadays most famous "Finlandsvensk" is Linux creator Linus Torvalds.

Add: and the Swedish they are talking (and we had to study as a compulsory "second domestic language") is not the same they talk in Sweden. Very often it's like Swedish words pronounced more than a bit like Finnish.

Reactions: Gormo

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011

Only 6 % is my best guess... Yet they are no ordinary "minority" but "better folk" with all service and educational institution of their own/in Swedish. Plus best places along the shoreline of Finland. : D - The "coast Swedes" as they are called.

Reactions: Ippenator

Gormo

Holupchi
Nov 12, 2010
It's a bit complicated. They are mostly Swedish speaking Finns, not that much Swedes. Many of those were really important for the independence of Finland, and national awakening. Known examples include famous composer Sibelius and maybe nowadays most famous "Finlandsvensk" is Linux creator Linus Torvalds.

Add: and the Swedish they are talking (and we had to study as a compulsory "second domestic language") is not the same they talk in Sweden. Very often it's like Swedish words pronounced more than a bit like Finnish.

I must say for being neighbors you guys are very distinct from one another.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Nice to get a unexpected win but I really expected a lot more from this game.

Maybe I'm just too used to NHL playoffs atmosphere right now.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I just lost a lot of respect towards Barzal and Ekblad. How childish can grown ass men be?
Barzal sure is a very good player. But he is also a very cocky POS! I saw him play in quite many games this season, and every game it was obvious how effin full of himself he really is. But darn good too, can’t deny it for sure!

Reactions: Loffer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad