GDT: Group B - May 12 - Canada vs Finland

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
Umm... You're way off there, buddy. Roughly 6 % of Finns are Swedish-speaking Finns, which means they speak Swedish as their first language.

Most of us have nothing to do with Sweden familywise, we are just descendants of Finns who spoke Swedish as their mother tongue, due to Swedish rule in Finland that existed for about 600 years, ending in 1809.

I'm a Swedish-speaking Finn, with roots in Scotland, Poland, Switzerland, Germany and Russia.

I'll take a wild guess and say that probably 90% of Swedish-speaking Finns have nothing to do with Sweden familywise.

But, I refer to myself as a "hurri", which might piss some other hurris off :)
I'm sure that most Swedish speaking Finns are genetically part Swedish.

Hell, I am too and I'm not even Finlandssvensk.

Reactions: Loffer

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I live in a city where are a lot Swedish speaking Finns. Like over 30%? And I am not good at speaking Swedish, but if I have to speak it, I'll manage. I am 100% finnish speaking Finn.

I don't think any Swedish speaking person here as Swedish, they are all Finns to me.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
My Granny moved to Gothenburg, Sweden around '73-74 to work in a factory, speaking only Finnish. She retired as a director of staff/head waitress of restaurant about 20 years later with near perfect Swedish.

She had double citizenship. She was Finn.

Good hockey player is good hockey player totally regardless of his/hers linguistic arsenal.

Reactions: FinPanda

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I hope this loss will serve as a wake-up call for canada, we need to be smarter out there. i have a feeling that this will motivate the guys the rest of the way. :) and good job finland you deserve this win 100%!

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Winning is good of course... The problem is, Finland will probably not win vs Canada twice so I am quite worried in case Finland faces Canada in the playoffs.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
Winning is good of course... The problem is, Finland will probably not win vs Canada twice so I am quite worried in case Finland faces Canada in the playoffs.
It's doable if we won't let our recent success get to our heads. What happened 2 years ago was a catastrophe, the media practically declared us winners before the final was even played. In the end Finland was totally disarmed and shat the bed after McDavid made it 1-0.

Also, before that we hadn't lost a single game. The humiliation from losing to Denmark did good.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
This was a pretty epic win. Do we need to win over USA if/when we beat Germany to be the first on our group?
yes. usa will probably beat norway so that will give them 16pts. now finlands plays germany next game so if they win that game it means that the last game will determine who finishes 1st in the group. but of course it could get complicated with ot wins compare to regulation win :)

P.S. canada can still finish in 2nd place, if finland only gets 3pts in their last 2 games.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Umm... You're way off there, buddy. Roughly 6 % of Finns are Swedish-speaking Finns, which means they speak Swedish as their first language.

Most of us have nothing to do with Sweden familywise, we are just descendants of Finns who spoke Swedish as their mother tongue, due to Swedish rule in Finland that existed for about 600 years, ending in 1809.

I'm a Swedish-speaking Finn, with roots in Scotland, Poland, Switzerland, Germany and Russia.

I'll take a wild guess and say that probably 90% of Swedish-speaking Finns have nothing to do with Sweden familywise.

But, I still refer to myself as a "hurri", which might piss some other hurris off :)

Might be so but who the hell I am to nitpick ethnicity in this context. Keep it simple and stupid as regards factual information off topic. Or then not if you wanna be a head master but as I was gonna add or start with "Ethnicity or not" I cut it out as they do in all prestigious big media outlets also, telling us with authority what is really happening in this war and conflict ridden weary old world of ours... So - Cut it or lose!

In hindsight I should have added those three words in the opening but now we both learned something about tricks of communication. Thank you anyway, Cumina.

Yet, I have early family roots in Sweden, there were the aasinsilta goes to Denmark actually, Yet, I am a Finn with no Swedish accent in any sense. So, you can never make clear distinctions here in any direction without some more or less arbitrary and rigid criteria (an infamous example: Nuremberg race laws of Nazis). If we are not inbred and god save us from that - we are quite crossbred. - I am though a bit worried about the possible inbreeding of these ethnic Finnish Swedes if they are so pedant about their "ethnicity" and pedigree marrying only within the merry family of seglare och skålare...! L.O.L.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
So it would have been better to lose? Like really? Sometimes I have to wonder about the limitless capability for pessimism and negative thinking of the Finnish fans...
Mmm... It's tough to say. Winning the right games is what's important so wasting some of those wins on games that aren't as important might come back to bite us.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Mmm... It's tough to say. Winning the right games is what's important so wasting some of those wins on games that aren't as important might come back to bite us.

And so you would have been totally chill having lost tonight like 5-2? Quite happy? And with the fans and the media screaming bloody murder and pressing the panic button? Fgs, let us worry about losing an elimination game to Canada once we get there...

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
And so you would have been totally chill having lost tonight like 5-2? Quite happy? And with the fans and the media screaming bloody murder and pressing the panic button? Fgs, let us worry about losing an elimination game to Canada once we get there...

We can't start assault from uphill casemate. We must be stuck to a swamp under machine gun fire. No way we can be in full health either. At least half platoon must be in sickbay (a tent under a fir). Our artillery must shoot short, otherwise we cannot get convinced to start overrun those damn trenches.

Maybe it is only that we are unable to recognize the unit that is actually capable to change the pattern, while not being or considering themselves as an underdogs anymore.

Forgive my rather militaristic allegory, I use it intentionally to make the point by causing certain mental images familiar to every Finnish hockey fan hanging on these boards. ;)

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
You can’t choose what games to win. Either you are good enough to win when it matters or you are not. But starting to choose when you win is honestly BS. You got to try to win every game, but most teams can’t do that of course. In the end the best team still wins when it really matters - always. Everything else is just pure useless speculation.

Last edited:
Reactions: LAINEC

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Besides letting in soft goals the Canadian goalies didn't score a single goal into Finland's end. Maybe that's why the team only had one in total in the whole game.
Yeah true. I just had to said that I was right about something. :(

Also I was told that Säteri is a bad goalie and I defended him. I was right about him in this game too. We'll see how far he will take us.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
In Finland, we have commodity of decent goalies. Why not order/hire/draft some, Canada?

Canada needs Dalton hehe.

This is just how Canada plays against Finland in the preliminary round. They'll be a different beast when it matters.

I do feel a repeat of 2 years ago as well. Same coach, McJesus, same result vs Finland in the first meeting almost (4-1 last time).

Maritimehky

May 9, 2018
Canada got more problems than goaltending. I get a kick out of these announcers. The superstars on this team were average today at best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad