xtras: Savinainen, Lehkonen

Ristolainen-Lindell
Määttä-Vatanen
Nutivaara-Honka

Niku

Raaanta
Rask
Rinne

I think we can actually beat any team with this lineup. Only on defense were a little light. Never underestimate 2-way play and we have 5 centers on the team that can handle it. 2 Selke-caliber guys. Our PP isnt shabby either.
How on earth you would choose Honka over Heiskanen or even Niku to a best against best Finnish team? Honka has been horrible this season. Not only now in the national team, but also not that good in the NHL either. Heiskanen is an enormously better defenceman already. In an ideal situation Finland could after all leave Honka out from the team when there would be a best against best tournament the next time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koijari

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Really good game by Finland today as they were able to win the game early by really pressuring Canada's D and some very pretty deflections, even though they only scored on one.

Canada had their chances but couldn't convert but the team still looked ok overall. Solid game from the Finland keeper and both of Canada keepers were fighting the puck a bit but not nearly as bad as some are making out.

Finland got their bad game out of the way just before this one and this was Canadas turn. Best to do it before the qfs for both teans.

Reactions: Ippenator

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
How on earth you would choose Honka over Heiskanen or even Niku to a best against best Finnish team? Honka has been horrible this season. Not only now in the national team, but also not that good in the NHL either. Heiskanen is an enormously better defenceman already. In an ideal situation Finland could after all leave Honka out from the team when there would be a best against best tournament the next time.
He had Ristolainen (on his off-side nonetheless) there too. I wouldn't be surprised if he is applying for an american citizenship.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011

I actually totally forgot Heiskanen. my bad. Ofcourse he would be in before Honka and Niku. I like Niku and he will probably be a good offensive/PP defender in a few years

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
He had Ristolainen (on his off-side nonetheless) there too. I wouldn't be surprised if he is applying for an american citizenship.

I didnt bother checking which side they play when made the lineups. I just tried to list the players that IMO are in our A-team. Heiskanen was left out by accident.I forgot that a bunch of 15-yr olds always start nitpicking here...

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I didnt bother checking which side they play when made the lineups. I just tried to list the players that IMO are in our A-team. I forgot that a bunch of 15-yr olds always start nitpicking here...
I am 34 :')

Finland isn't known for righty shooting defensemen; so the few we have should play their natural side.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Actually,

this seems to be the morning after storyline Savinainen vs. Ekblad. Apparently Savinainen's continuous driving at Ekblad got him bragging about his salary at one point, if Savinainen is to be believed.

"I guess he wanted the stick of my kind of star player", Savinainen commented of the finishing shenanigans.
Interesting!!

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
I didnt bother checking which side they play when made the lineups. I just tried to list the players that IMO are in our A-team. Heiskanen was left out by accident.I forgot that a bunch of 15-yr olds always start nitpicking here...
You should not need to look which side they play in first place.

Reactions: mattihp

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Why the hell arent they playing Chabot???I get he is still very young and can be prone to mistakes,but he has to be one of the teams best skilled defenders.....Let him play ffs

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
And I’m 45 (will be 46 this summer), but I guess we should still give a medal for a good try and effort? :sarcasm:

No offence but, what does 45 (46) year old doing in here?. I'm 36 and i think i'm almost too old to be here.
I hope 10 years from now i'm not still here (HF Boards) :) | Again, no offence my fellow Finn.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
No offence but, what does 45 (46) year old doing in here?. I'm 36 and i think i'm almost too old to be here.
I hope 10 years from now i'm not still here (HF Boards) :) | Again, no offence my fellow Finn.
Because of enjoying hockey and enjoying discussing about it? Because of believing people should never be put into moulds created by others? Who is anyone else to say how anyone should be when they are a certain age? Really strange thinking to me.

I love whatever things I love whatever age I am. I love hockey and will most probably do it forever. I have all my life loved video games and still love them and play them a lot. Even how childish or stupid some people think about these things, I don’t care and will never care.

And still, I’m working in two very responsible positions at the same time and being responsible for issues concerning several thousands of people. Have been doing those jobs over ten years in a row and done pretty well with them, as I have been trusted to continue with them this long.

I’m also a father of an absolutely wonderful 5 year old boy and I am doing all that I can to be as good and supportive as a father as I possibly can. Using a lot of my time and effort to give him nice experiences and options in his life and to be there for him whenever he needs me.

I don’t want to brag, but just point out that having some interests that certain people might find childish or unsuitable for my age, does not mean that a person can’t be responsible and succesful in the more adult considered issues in life.

In my opion in fact many people think of being an adult a bit too seriously and don’t know how to relax themselves well enough. With many people it leads to relaxing mostly through alcohol or drugs. I need neither of them in my life and I’m happy like that.

Last edited:

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018

Yeah, I don't see what age has to do with anything. I'm 25 and I feel I'll still be on this site in 25 years. Its just like any other forum, they have them about pretty much everything these days. They even have one called SkycraperCity dedicated to people who love skylines, urban development and architecture.

Being middle aged and on this website doesn't mean you're a loser which is what I feel you were trying to imply by claiming you hope not to be on this site when you're 45. You could very much be the opposite with a wife/family/kids and just visit this site in your spare time to talk hockey.

Back on topic though, I can't remember a time when Canada's goalie options were this terrible at this tournament. Looks like its going to be a tougher opponent in the QF for Canada now.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Tough loss for the team yesterday. In 4th now. Games vs. Germany and Latvia this week to close out the round robin.

Its funny, the Swedes/Russians are probably thinking "great we win the group and get to play a weaker team from group B now!...WAIT..we're drawing Canada?!" :laugh:

Bad goalies from Canada sure, but still a deadly offence.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Because of enjoying hockey and enjoying discussing about it? Because of believing people should never be put into moulds created by others? Who is anyone else to say how anyone should be when they are a certain age? Really strange thinking to me.

I love whatever things I love whatever age I am. I love hockey and will most probably do it forever. I have all my life loved video games and still love them and play them a lot. Even how childish or stupid some people think about these things, I don’t care and will never care.

And still, I’m working in two very responsible positions at the same time and being responsible for issues concerning several thousands of people. Have been doing those jobs over ten years in a row and done pretty well with them, as I have been trusted to continue with them this long.

I’m also a father of an absolutely wonderful 5 year old boy and I am doing all that I can to be as good and supportive as a father as I possibly can. Using a lot of my time and effort to give him nice experiences and options in his life and to be there for him whenever he needs me.

I don’t want to brag, but just point out that having some interests that certain people might find childish or unsuitable for my age, does not mean that a person can’t be responsible and succesful in the more adult considered issues in life.

In my opion in fact many people think of being an adult a bit too seriously and don’t know how to relax themselves well enough. With many people it leads to relaxing mostly through alcohol or drugs. I need neither of them in my life and I’m happy like that.

Maybe that was a bit too harsh from me, sorry. Wasn't meant to bee that negative thou.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad