Euro: Group B: England vs. Russia, 6/11/2016

Discussion in 'Soccer' started by Live in the Now, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Deficient Mode

Deficient Mode Registered User

Kane was badly integrated into the match and didn't get good service.

2. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Registered User

Why did they use Kane on nearly every single corner? He skied it over the players multiple times. Doesn't seem to be very good at corners, he should probably work on that. :laugh:

3. Bakayoko Ono

Bakayoko Ono Registered User

Can't believe stuff like this is still happening. Disgraceful, but also shame on the organizers, considering this happened INSIDE the stadium...

4. Deficient Mode

The country has been having severe problems with flooding and riots. Not that that absolves those who planned the security of blame, but it mitigates it slightly.

5. Blender

Blender Registered User

Poor coaching imo. Poor decision on the starting 11, poor choices for set pieces, and poor choices for subs.

6. Adonis Creed

Adonis Creed King of the East

Sterling was awful
    Lalalana was wasteful as usual
    Milner on...garbage sub
    Kane was not good today...

no clue why Lalalalna is starting over Vardy or better player...absolute joke of a coach

7. SB164

SB164 Registered User

You have Vardy, Sturridge, and Rashford, and you bring on James ****ing Milner.

"Rooney is there for leadership and experience" *proceeds to take out Rooney in crunch time*

Did Roy think England had won the game with 10 mins left? :laugh:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  8. Wee Baby Seamus

Wee Baby Seamus Yo, Goober, where's the meat?

Why would you throw on Vardy, Sturridge, or Rashford when preserving a one-goal lead...?

9. SB164

SB164 Registered User

Why wouldn't you bring on Vardy knowing that Russia wouldn't be able to press forward so easily?

10. Highlander23

Highlander23 Registered User

Sorry guys, we have the most stupid, laxsist security forces ever. Alike our president/government we always wait for things to get messy to take actions.

Edit: now th head of the security forces is saying that everything is under control FML (just one dying person, 5 in critical conditions, +30 injured hundreds arrested, under control indeed)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  11. Roughneck

Roughneck Registered User

Home Page:
  12. Blender

Blender Registered User

I'm sure it is all under control since everyone went home.

13. cgf

cgf FireBednarsSuccessor

Browbeaten Bookkeeper
    I like Dier, but Rooney and Alli would need to improve their connection massively for him to work in a midfield trio. Personally I'd play my beloved 4-3-1-2 with Dier behind Alli & Wilshere, and Rooney in a free floating playmaker role between them and whichever combination of Kane/Vardy/Sturridge shows the best chemistry. But Woy won't change things up that drastically during a tourney.

If tied to the 4-3-3, then I just don't think it'll work with Dier at this point. A Rooney/Alli/Wilshere duo has the talent to make it work, but they don't seem to have the mutual understanding to do it. That's why I'd want all three to play together to give them the skill to create consistently & fluidly and to overcome their issues creatively.

That trio's defensive frailties is why I'd use Lallana & Milner as narrow wingers; to help shield them & lead the press in front of them. With Walker & Rose's strengths lying in their pace & attacking capabilities, they'd have the attacking width to support that sort of front 6.

I agree that the biggest issue was the poor connection between Rooney & Alli in midfield, which lead to the poor service, but Kane was very poor in his own right. I'd give a lot of thought to giving Sturridge or Vardy the start in the next match if Hodgson's not going to tweak the shape.

14. Deficient Mode

I think you'd need to pair Rooney with a defensively strong 8 who can cover a lot of room in midfield in front of the back four. Putting defensively engaged wide forwards doesn't solve this issue; the problem space would be in midfield, not up front. Alli is very active in pressing but he likes to act further up the pitch. Wilshere also is not the ideal partner. I'd consider Milner as a Rooney partner in midfield as well, and push Dier back to CB in Smalling's place. I don't think these changes can be enacted overnight though.

15. hatterson

hatterson Registered User

Software Developer
    Just finished the game on tape delay.

Walker was ripping up the right wing for the first 35 or so minutes, then nothing. Didn't really see if it was because of a Russian defense adjustment or if England just stopped attacking on that side.

I thought Rooney made a lot of good long passes, added a danger in switches and long passes that no one else offered. Midfield didn't control the game well though, so something needs to be adjusted there.

Sterling was a waste of space as usual. If you want speed put on Vardy or even Rashford because at least those guys aren't completely useless when someone gets within 5 feet of them.

Kane was disconnected all game and his onside timing was way off.

Subs were a joke.

Overall it was very much an "England" game.

16. ViD

ViD #CBJNeedHugs

Wonder if Russia gets to play Ukraine and England gets to play Germany or Poland, what the officials are going to do? it will be over the boards..

But for now, it should all calm down, a lot of russian hooligans came just for this game..

17. Live in the Now

Live in the Now Registered User

Awards:
    If a couple people get killed in one of these incidents I'm fairly certain the offending parties would be kicked out of the WC. That being said, I don't think anything on the schedule would be worse than this. Turkey vs. Croatia was the other game that sounded a bit iffy in this regard but I haven't heard anything about that. Theoretically if Turkey played Germany as well. Don't really want to think about that one.

Looking at the way the brackets are drawn Russia could play Ukraine. :help:

18. cgf

cgf FireBednarsSuccessor

Browbeaten Bookkeeper
    That spacing is what could make that trio genuinely top class with the ball though. And I mean playing Lallana & Milner really narrow, to the point where they're playing more as central attacking midfielders than wingers. With one of them dropping back to cover Alli's forays forward.

It wouldn't replace that lack of an excellent defensive 8, but it could help shelter them if they stayed very compact. And if they developed chemistry with the ball they could be genuinely lethal, to make up for some of that defensive frailty.

Though ultimately these are all suboptimal solutions to introducing Wilshere alongside Dier, Rooney & Alli in a midfield diamond.

Agreed about these being things Woy should've been working on long before they arrived in france.

19. Bon Esprit

Bon Esprit Registered User

Paolo Rink and Oliver Neuville weren't exactly Germans, too. Unlike the latter Neustädter speaks perfect Russian at least.

20. Venkman

Venkman Registered User

To be fair to Roy, he's been trying the diamond since the first qualifying game in 2014, where he played Wilshere as the '6' and in 5 friendlies this year. We just don't seem comfortable playing it.

21. Evilo

Evilo Registered User

Woy didn't make any sensitive substitutions indeed, but we all know he's a bad coach.

Still I insist his starting lineup looked good and with confidence, England should win more games than they lose.
    I liked most of what I saw in that game. Sterling's second half was particularly awful however.

22. spintheblackcircle

spintheblackcircle Hello, Jose!

UEFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against Russia following the crowd trouble that marred the 1-1 Euro 2016 draw with England on Saturday.

The disciplinary proceedings opened against the Football Union of Russia are regarding crowd disturbances, racist behaviour and fireworks being set off at the Stade Velodrome in Marseille.

The European governing body has not taken any action against the English Football Association.

23. Evilo

Evilo Registered User

As I said in the Euro thread, UEFA takes discipline only about what goes on inside the stadium.

24. Evilo

Evilo Registered User

double post.

25. TheMoreYouKnow

TheMoreYouKnow Registered User

And I wasn't really a massive fan of that either. The case of Paolo Rink especially was really embarrassing actually.