Euro: Group B: England vs. Russia, 6/11/2016

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
Only someone with a distinct anti-English prejudice or someone who hasn't paid attention for a good 20 years would worry about the English fans when there's a couple truckloads of drunk Russian lads in the vicinity.

Or maybe both sides have a fair share of drunk idiot hooligans...

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
You expect them to lose against Wales?

Wouldn't surprise me. They have good midfielders and a better player than anyone England has. It wouldn't be surprising.

The strangest thing about that goal was that it was essentially a 5 v 5 situation. That should never happen when protecting a lead.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They won't rethink their 11, but they really should. Awful substitutes as well. Can't think of any reason to bring Wilshere and Milner on in that situation. Milner's strength is in being tireless, there's no reason to bring him on and play a few minutes of keep away.

I expect Sterling will be the only player held to account and he'll be dropped for Vardy.

For what it's worth I actually thought Wilshere did well after coming on. If england could figure out how to use him, Rooney & Alli together in midfield; they could actually be dangerous.

How can Dyer say they played a good match?

Because they played a good first half, that's basically the same thing...right?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Or maybe both sides have a fair share of drunk idiot hooligans...

The Russians are charging the English fans in the stadium. That's unheard of at a major tournament. The English no doubt have their share of drunk loudmouthed idiots at these games, but the UK government actually blocks all the heavy hitting English lads from going to big tournaments with some very severe restrictions, I highly doubt the Russian government gives two ***** if their hooligans rough up some Brits in France.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Wouldn't surprise me. They have good midfielders and a better player than anyone England has. It wouldn't be surprising.

The strangest thing about that goal was that it was essentially a 5 v 5 situation. That should never happen when protecting a lead.
Exactly. The ball was cold, it wasn't even dangerous anymore. There were a lot of mistakes leading up to that goal. Not the goalie, though.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
For what it's worth I actually thought Wilshere did well after coming on. If england could figure out how to use him, Rooney & Alli together in midfield; they could actually be dangerous.

Because they played a good first half, that's basically the same thing...right?

Exactly the same.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Disappointing ending to a match that I thought England largely controlled other than a few moments in the second-half. They could have been easily up 3 or 4 nothing were it not from some amazing saves by Akinfeev.

Felt like the three minutes of added time that allowed Russia time to get the equalizer was also extremely generous too. Now that Wales game looms large in importance.

Three minutes of extra time generous? Really? In the first half the ref even blew the whistle a second before 45:00. Otherwise I'd agree that England was largely in control, though they were too lax on that Russia goal and kind of have themselves to blame. Apparently they also thought the game had ended two minutes prior

JaysCyYoung

Jan 1, 2009
York Region
Three minutes of extra time generous? Really? In the first half the ref even blew the whistle a second before 45:00. Otherwise I'd agree that England was largely in control, though they were too lax on that Russia goal and kind of have themselves to blame. Apparently they also thought the game had ended two minutes prior

Yeah, I felt that it was extremely generous in this circumstance. The game didn't even really stop in either half to be honest. One of the fastest, most uninterrupted matches I've ever witnessed from that standpoint.

I thought for sure he wouldn't add more than a minute, regardless of what the standard typically is.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

Yeah, two or three minutes are pretty much the standard.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
The Russians are charging the English fans in the stadium. That's unheard of at a major tournament. The English no doubt have their share of drunk loudmouthed idiots at these games, but the UK government actually blocks all the heavy hitting English lads from going to big tournaments with some very severe restrictions, I highly doubt the Russian government gives two ***** if their hooligans rough up some Brits in France.

The lack of security and segregation is ridiculous. Russians charging the England fans. *****

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Lol, there are perhaps a couple dozens of Russian ultras in Marselle, if it was in Russia, it'd be enough just a few OMON guys to smash these idiots into a pulp. But of course, it's French police, so it's all about human rights and other ********.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Nothing to do with scalpers. Russian section charged the England fans. Nothing from stewards or security. Open season.

They didn't show the pictures on German telly.
I hate hools. Can't understand the reaction, especially considering the development of the game. They should be cheering.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It's difficult to understand why there was no French police between the sections at the end of the match. You see this even at lower division games..

Is this the first piece of evidence that the French security apparatus is buckling under the overall security pressure?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad