Euro: Group B: England vs. Russia, 6/11/2016

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd imagine the french priority is to protect the games against outside attackers, not to stop one group of thugs from getting the upper hand on another group of thugs.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
It's difficult to understand why there was no French police between the sections at the end of the match. You see this even at lower division games..

Is this the first piece of evidence that the French security apparatus is buckling under the overall security pressure?

Careful, Evilo might interpret that as giving the English carte blanche.

Kap-the-Head

Jan 7, 2006
Saint Charles, IL
Yeah, I felt that it was extremely generous in this circumstance. The game didn't even really stop in either half to be honest. One of the fastest, most uninterrupted matches I've ever witnessed from that standpoint.

I thought for sure he wouldn't add more than a minute, regardless of what the standard typically is.

I think the goal was scored around 91:40 or so... and usually the rule is that you add 30 seconds for every sub. So I don't see what the problem is with added time...

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I'd imagine the french priority is to protect the games against outside attackers, not to stop one group of thugs from getting the upper hand on another group of thugs.

Creative assumption that those charged are opposing thugs.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
5 Subs(technically 30sec. each) in the 2nd half plus the long celebration after the goal will give you 3 minutes of added time. Classic failure by England once again, Russia was very poor all around but that's a big point. They can only play better and with a different formation as well vs. Slovakia. Raheem Sterling was garbage all game long. Once again incompetent English coaches. And no surprise about the losers idiots in the stands again from both sides, that kind of garbage is so useless, some people really don't know how to entertain themselves...

Good Euro so far, 4 good games, better than I expected. Tomorrow we should have at least 1 excellent game.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
It's difficult to understand why there was no French police between the sections at the end of the match. You see this even at lower division games..

Is this the first piece of evidence that the French security apparatus is buckling under the overall security pressure?

Not sure, but I doubt it. Heard something like 90000 state security, including airport force plus 30000 in the private sector. That's a lot.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

They just don't care.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
For what it's worth I actually thought Wilshere did well after coming on. If england could figure out how to use him, Rooney & Alli together in midfield; they could actually be dangerous.

Because they played a good first half, that's basically the same thing...right?

England's problem as I see it is precisely in their midfield. They have a lot of technically gifted, athletic, but somewhat chaotic midfielders - Wilshere, Alli, Barkley... you could even add Sterling - and a couple balancing, all-around players - Milner, Henderson - but they don't have that Kroos, Modric, Iniesta, Gündogan, et al. type who can control the game from midfield. It would have been interesting if they had settled Rooney into a deeper midfield role earlier on: I genuinely think he would be their best option to provide that. Their pressing is good but not good enough to dominate a match vs the top 3 teams. They could have been one of the top favorites in this tournament if Hodgson could maintain their pressing at the level of peak Klopp - or even Pochettino. They have the players for it.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Alexander Shprygin, head of the All-Russian Fans' Union, a body with backing from the Russian government and soccer authorities, told The Associated Press by telephone that the police had broken up fights between English and Russian supporters.

"The reason (for the fighting) was that the English are drinking a lot and are behaving badly," Shprygin said.

Glad we cleared that up. :laugh:

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Russia playing a youngster Golovin and a German Neustadter as the main CDM.

It's a ****ing miracle we got a point in this game

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
As for hooligans , to fight the English is the dream of their life, so the result of the game or anything else doesn't matter

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
England's problem as I see it is precisely in their midfield. They have a lot of technically gifted, athletic, but somewhat chaotic midfielders - Wilshere, Alli, Barkley... you could even add Sterling - and a couple balancing, all-around players - Milner, Henderson - but they don't have that Kroos, Modric, Iniesta, Gündogan, et al. type who can control the game from midfield. It would have been interesting if they had settled Rooney into a deeper midfield role earlier on: I genuinely think he would be their best option to provide that. Their pressing is good but not good enough to dominate a match vs the top 3 teams. They could have been one of the top favorites in this tournament if Hodgson could maintain their pressing at the level of peak Klopp - or even Pochettino. They have the players for it.

Agreed on most of this...though even with a prime Kloppo I can't see them as one of the top favorites; not with how much more talented the actual favorites are.

I'd probably try Rooney behind Alli & Wilshere in the midfield, with Milner & Llalalalalalana playing very narrow on the wings.

As for hooligans , to fight the English is the dream of their life, so the result of the game or anything else doesn't matter

This just makes me think of Randy fighting Bat-dad. :laugh:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
For what it's worth I actually thought Wilshere did well after coming on. If england could figure out how to use him, Rooney & Alli together in midfield; they could actually be dangerous.

I don't think the Wilshere substitution was bad, but in companion with the Milner one they had effectively removed all attacking threat and speed from their remaining 11. Russia didn't exactly have to pretend to sit back and keep defending then.

It seems like England is going to need speedier play from central forwards if they're to do anything, but I can't imagine Kane being dropped.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
*shrug* I liked what I saw from Golovin. He's gunna need to learn to be much smarter & more tiddy with his passing, but he showed some slick feet and a nice first touch.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
****. Had a feeling Russia would equalise. The subs were crap. Vardy should've come on for Kane who was poor. Good first half but then the same old ****.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Agreed on most of this...though even with a prime Kloppo I can't see them as one of the top favorites; not with how much more talented the actual favorites are.

I'd probably try Rooney behind Alli & Wilshere in the midfield, with Milner & Llalalalalalana playing very narrow on the wings.

They'd have a decent shot of winning the tournament even if their talent lagged significantly behind the top 3. A lot of players suited to play in a fast-paced pressing battle.

I don't think I'd like a Rooney-Alli-Wilshere midfield on balance. Rooney as a 6 seems like a far bigger risk than even the playmakers who sometimes draw criticism for their poor defensive play (e.g. Kroos and Alonso). Dier is a solid 6, but he's not going to control the game either. I think at this point I'd just go for Dier-Rooney-Alli like they played today. It didn't necessarily look pretty though. Connection between Rooney and Alli was pretty poor. I guess Rooney is more comfortable making passes from the left half space, but that English left side (Rose+Sterling) is athletic but didn't really generate danger. The group of players they had on the field is ok (Sterling and Smalling are the only two I'd probably change) but it doesn't quite fit together in possession yet. Good pressing though.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Just got back from watching the game at Wegz, up in Woodbridge.

Plenty more Russian fans than I anticipated, probably a 4:1 differential in fan support.

I'm backing Italy but my buddies were all behind England for this one so I tried to at least show some support.

Question on the equalizer though.....isn't there a rule that states a player can't follow the ball into the net on a scoring play? Or am I just misinterpreting something I read earlier?

Hard to believe England couldn't pull off the win against a weak Russian side, but if you're going to start Lalanna over Vardy, I guess that's what happens. So many chances died for England, just zero finish from that squad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad