Griffin Reinhart [UPD: Recalled After Davidson Injury] - Pt II

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Find a defensemen who wasn't an NHL regular four years after his draft and you'll find why people aren't high on Reinhart.

The company isn't good:

Gormley
Teubert
McIlrath
Plante
Siemens.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Find a defensemen who wasn't an NHL regular four years after his draft and you'll find why people aren't high on Reinhart.

The company isn't good:

Gormley
Teubert
McIlrath
Plante
Siemens.

Karl Alzner?
Thomas Hickey?
Ryan Mcdonaugh?
Jake Gartiner?
Ryan Ellis?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

The company isn't good:

Gormley
Teubert
McIlrath
Plante
Siemens.
There's a copious amount of d men who aren't NHL regulars 4 years after their draft year in fact there's so many it's impossible to compile a list including some on our team. I'll just list those.

Andrei Sekera
Brandon Davidson
Eric Gryba

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Reinhart plays nothing like McDonagh, Sekera, or Hickey. And yeah, Gryba, Davidson, and Alzner isn't exactly good company either. I like Davidson a lot this year but I wouldn't have moved a 1st and 2nd for him.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Do you guys even watch the games? Reinhart took Gryba and made him look like a top 4 dman in the games he played. Anyone who's watched him should know that he's not a flashy dman, but he does go out there and get the job done. He has a better first pass then he's shown, most likely due to adjusting to the game speed of the NHL. Also his skating deficiencies are vastly overrated similar to what happened to Penner because he's a big guy. Give him some time, if Brandon Davidson hadn't stepped up like he has Reinhart would still be in the NHL.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
When Reinhart and Gryba are on the ice together they roughly get wrecked 63-50 (per 60 minutes) in shot attempts. Or 44% of the attempts go in the Oilers favour.

When Davidson and Gryba play together the Oilers out-attempt the opposition 57 to 45, roughly 55% of the shot attempts go in the Oilers favour.

There's absolutely no way he's made Gryba look good, if anything that's Brandon Davidson who has been doing that and eating Reinhart's lunch.

Reinhart has not been good.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
There's a copious amount of d men who aren't NHL regulars 4 years after their draft year in fact there's so many it's impossible to compile a list including some on our team. I'll just list those.

Andrei Sekera
Brandon Davidson
Eric Gryba

3rd round pick, 6th round pick, 3rd round pick vs. 4th overall pick.

Also the guys you listed are 4,5,6 guys, sekera perhaps a decent 3.

I have no doubt Reinhart will play on this team, maybe for a number of years. As a 4 at best, 5, 6 guy.

And you don't trade two top 33 picks for the type of player you can get in fa each year on the cheap.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
People were laughing at me when I said Griffin is no different from Musil. Except we didn't give up anything for Musil. :laugh:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Do you guys even watch the games? Reinhart took Gryba and made him look like a top 4 dman in the games he played. Anyone who's watched him should know that he's not a flashy dman, but he does go out there and get the job done. He has a better first pass then he's shown, most likely due to adjusting to the game speed of the NHL. Also his skating deficiencies are vastly overrated similar to what happened to Penner because he's a big guy. Give him some time, if Brandon Davidson hadn't stepped up like he has Reinhart would still be in the NHL.

1) He also was a whopping -4 last game and was immediately sent to the minors, if you have watched you'd see that Gryba as horrible as this sounds has been one of our better Dmen all year.

2) Brandon Davidson was a friggin 6th round pick, this is what you expect out of late development picks, years in the minors.

3) Don't blame the fans for the team the day he was acquired claiming him to be nhl ready.

4) You don't trade two top 33 picks in a draft for a long term developmental player. If you do you are wasting resources that can better be used elsewhere.

5) Being left handed means he can't even take over Schultz.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

I watch the game...Reinhart is slow in his decision making, passive with the opposition and not ready for the NHL

this trade is looking worse for Bob Green (and Chia for signing off on it) with each passing game

wanna know why the Oilers continually stink? they overpay for "maybes" instead of acquiring "sure-things"
my thoughts then:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=104285071&postcount=11

haven't changed

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Well except for potentially Boone Jenner, John Gibson and Brandon Saad.

One we drafted. The other we traded for when we already have Musil, Davidson, Simpson, Betker kicking around. I remember people laughed at me for even suggesting that Davidson would be a better option than Griffin. :laugh: We should have given our AHL guys a chance first before going for another unproven. Bad move from Chia. I don't think it's entirely on him cause he did look unhappy when the trade went down.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Isn't that the point though? Davidson outplayed him and is clearly a better d-man. If we had Griff as a full-timer instead of Davidson we would be a worse team right now, so that argument doesn't really help his case.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

I guess Oesterle is needed on the farm for the time being.

Mods-is it possible to get the title changed to "recalled" instead of a creating new thread?

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Big chance for Griff. Hope he runs with it.

Hopefully he isn't tethered to an anchor like Clendening.

I can't understand how in this day and age a team can give up a 1st for a d-man that isn't a puck-mover.

What does that even mean?

He was a 21-year old highly touted defensive prospect. He was a nothing. It's what he could become that they were trading for.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I was going to write that it took Davidson 3 years to get where he is, then I remembered Davidson was putting up 50+ points in junior

Reinhart is stereotypical type of D I dont like to acquire. Ill be rooting for him, but in reality he has #4 upside if all goes well. I think we have the luxury of developing him longer with our LHD depth so we should see him play almost all next year in AHL too

I dont mind him in the NHL, he is steady. But he is very sheltered and doesnt really do anything well.

Maybe Chiarelli mitigates the damage from his first trade by packing Reinhart in a deal for a legit defenseman

With Davidson emerging like he has, Reinhart isnt really needed

But again, Ill be rooting for him

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Chia's body of work is good enough for me to keep the faith on Griffin. He could very well show up to camp with an extra gear after the summer. If he doesn't pan out then I will ***** but its too soon to pass judgement, we have been too spoiled with high picks making the jump so soon. In Detroit Griffin probably wouldn't be expected to slot in to the top 6 until his ELC was up.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I was going to write that it took Davidson 3 years to get where he is, then I remembered Davidson was putting up 50+ points in junior

Reinhart is stereotypical type of D I dont like to acquire. Ill be rooting for him, but in reality he has #4 upside if all goes well. I think we have the luxury of developing him longer with our LHD depth so we should see him play almost all next year in AHL too

I dont mind him in the NHL, he is steady. But he is very sheltered and doesnt really do anything well.

Maybe Chiarelli mitigates the damage from his first trade by packing Reinhart in a deal for a legit defenseman

With Davidson emerging like he has, Reinhart isnt really needed

But again, Ill be rooting for him

Subban for Hall + Reinhart? Not sure I'd do that, but its interesting to think about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad