Griffin Reinhart [UPD: Recalled After Davidson Injury] - Pt II

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
People forget how good Reinhart was to start the year and he really didn't "fall apart" just had a rough patch while others had a good patch.

I firmly believe he is a solid bottom pairing guy right now from everything I have seen and heard.

He won't replace Davidson cause there were nights Davidson was outstanding but at the same time he "shouldn't" embarrass himself either. I am glad he got called up. Being sent down and called up seemed to do wonders for Leon, Nurse, and Davidson. Hope he makes the most of his opportunity.

Reinhart plays too quiet a game to be a whipping boy. There will be those that just don't appreciate a great stay at home guy but that's pretty standard on this board. After ten years no playoffs and being horrendous in our own end you would think having defenders who concentrate on keeping the puck out of our net would get more respect. The offensive defensemen are the only ones that get love on here.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Well, the GM said he was ready for NHL and he paid the price for it. He failed...so far, big time.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
this fans have paid the price for the last 6 and a half years with no end in sight! Chia to me has become Dr. Dolittle! :shakehead

Give me a break he brought in the top UFA D, got a real starting goalie for some meh picks, and took a shot on a guy who may or may not develop into a top 4 D, but is years from knowing whether he will or not, and he got us Kassian for a goalie that shouldn't even be in the NHL. Maybe give him more than a half year to get something done. Its not like playoff teams are lining up to sell off their defence during the season, and there's a ton of contracts that he's had to wait to expire that the quadruplet of misfits saddled this team with over the past few years.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Give me a break he brought in the top UFA D, got a real starting goalie for some meh picks, and took a shot on a guy who may or may not develop into a top 4 D, but is years from knowing whether he will or not, and he got us Kassian for a goalie that shouldn't even be in the NHL. Maybe give him more than a half year to get something done. Its not like playoff teams are lining up to sell off their defence during the season, and there's a ton of contracts that he's had to wait to expire that the quadruplet of misfits saddled this team with over the past few years.

and what's he done for the Oilers lately while we still drag our arses near the basement of the NHL? oh i know, added Zack Kassian....great, and.............? watch another team walk away with Seth Jones while he continues to "evaluate" our situation. give me a break!! :shakehead

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Well, the GM said he was ready for NHL and he paid the price for it. He failed...so far, big time.

So if he keeps those picks and drafts players who do nothing to help this team this season or next is he considered a success?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
and what's he done for the Oilers lately while we still drag our arses near the basement of the NHL? oh i know, added Zack Kassian....great, and.............? watch another team walk away with Seth Jones while he continues to "evaluate" our situation. give me a break!! :shakehead

First off, none of us know the circumstances regarding what went down with Seth Jones. Second, if he traded for Jones (who isn't a top pairing D yet) he would have basically told the team to stop trying for the rest of the season because your centre depth till McDavid gets back is Draisaitl-Pouliot (lmao)- Letestu- Hendricks. For the record, I was open to the idea of trading Nuge for Jones, but if you think thats a trade that turns this team around today then I have some bad news for you.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
^it would have been a start at least, but we have even seen that either.

Bringing in Sekera was a start. He tried to bring in Hamilton, thats not his fault that Sweeney and Neely are babies. Instead he brought in a young guy who might take a few years to pay off. Its not like there was anyone still on the board that would immediately help this club or fill a position of need. If by the start of next season he hasn't addressed the D then by all means ***** about it until your heart is content.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
i appreciate that Chia brought in Sekera and *tried* to get Hamilton, but i am not talking about before the season started, i am talking about RIGHT NOW, because since the rebuild seemed to start the year Hall was drafted, we've had well meaning GM's that have given fans a lot of wind but either not much result or failed results and i'm sorry but the excuses and inaction are no longer acceptable after 6+ years of constant losing! we need to start seeing some action to change this team instead of excuses. this is my opinion and all i'm going to say on the matter.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Happy he's up, hoping for the best, hope they don't feed him to the wolves

I will be very surprised if he even comes close to replacing Davidson. Losing Davidson was a big blow.

Very impressed with Brandon Davidson...big, mobile and smart. Solid NHL player.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
I will be very surprised if he even comes close to replacing Davidson. Losing Davidson was a big blow.

Very impressed with Brandon Davidson...big, mobile and smart. Solid NHL player.

This post is funny. Davidson was a write off at the beginning of the season making terrible decisions as soon as the puck hit his stick but after finding his game at the 15-20 game mark he has been good and people won't give Reinhart the same chance. Reinhart was fine at the start of the season and his demotion was always puzzling to me and considering Hunt got 7 games in it makes it even odder than he got the call instead of Griff.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
This post is funny. Davidson was a write off at the beginning of the season making terrible decisions as soon as the puck hit his stick but after finding his game at the 15-20 game mark he has been good and people won't give Reinhart the same chance. Reinhart was fine at the start of the season and his demotion was always puzzling to me and considering Hunt got 7 games in it makes it even odder than he got the call instead of Griff.

Reinhart started to fizzle a bit before he was sent down, but IMO he was moved to Bako for contractual reasons (someone posted about his bonus money affecting the team's cap space even if the goals weren't achieved) and because he needs to work on his skating (which is easier to do when you're playing 1 game / week than 3-4 games / week).

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

Fixing a severely flawed team in half a season is a recipe for perpetual mediocrity. It takes time for pieces to become available via FA and trades. He tried to get Seth Jones but they preferred RyJo. Panicking and giving up assets for players that aren't building blocks is how we ended up in this situation in the first place.
We wouldn't be in the basement if we hadn't sustained a league leading amount of injuries. You need patience.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Fixing a severely flawed team in half a season is a recipe for perpetual mediocrity. It takes time for pieces to become available via FA and trades. He tried to get Seth Jones but they preferred RyJo. Panicking and giving up assets for players that aren't building blocks is how we ended up in this situation in the first place.
We wouldn't be in the basement if we hadn't sustained a league leading amount of injuries. You need patience.

That's an opinion.

Other opinions are PC wouldn't part with RNH for Jones. Right or wrong but shouldn't state opinions as facts.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Wasn't it reported by Sportsnet?

Some 'sources' said the Oil were in play for Jones and some 'speculated' they offered RNH. Others, including Lebrun, said RNH was asked for but the Oil wouldn't do it.

Basically, we can speculate but don't really know.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
this fans have paid the price for the last 6 and a half years with no end in sight! Chia to me has become Dr. Dolittle! :shakehead

Chiarelli has been the most active GM in the league by a fair margin. We don't have that massive move we need for a top D man, but look at all the teams out there desperate for the kind of Dman we need. If they aren't for sale, they aren't for sale.

And when you are very active, you are going to make a few moves that don't do quite as well as hoped. I would consider the Reinhart marginally disappointing considering where he said he would be. Even then, it is the kind of move that you just don't judge yet since he is a long term project, not a short term one.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Chiarelli has been the most active GM in the league by a fair margin. We don't have that massive move we need for a top D man, but look at all the teams out there desperate for the kind of Dman we need. If they aren't for sale, they aren't for sale.

And when you are very active, you are going to make a few moves that don't do quite as well as hoped. I would consider the Reinhart marginally disappointing considering where he said he would be. Even then, it is the kind of move that you just don't judge yet since he is a long term project, not a short term one.

The Oilers have markedly improved. Eight more points at this point in the season than last year.

The Reinhart trade can only be definitively judged at this point if you are determined to be negative about Chia.

Davidson is a good comparable. Not as highly touted, but still took time to develop.

Reinhart is on track. Another season in the AHL isn't a terrible option. All depends on what the competition is like in training camp.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
i appreciate that Chia brought in Sekera and *tried* to get Hamilton, but i am not talking about before the season started, i am talking about RIGHT NOW, because since the rebuild seemed to start the year Hall was drafted, we've had well meaning GM's that have given fans a lot of wind but either not much result or failed results and i'm sorry but the excuses and inaction are no longer acceptable after 6+ years of constant losing! we need to start seeing some action to change this team instead of excuses. this is my opinion and all i'm going to say on the matter.

You are aware that real life isn't like the NHL video game, right? A GM can't just make trades at the drop of a hat. Even that stupid Scott for Tinordi deal took weeks to work out.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Some 'sources' said the Oil were in play for Jones and some 'speculated' they offered RNH. Others, including Lebrun, said RNH was asked for but the Oil wouldn't do it.

Basically, we can speculate but don't really know.

Oh, didn't know about the Lebrun comment.

Well anyways, my point remains. It's real tough to rebuild a poorly built team in one season. Nobody has ever done that - it takes years. Teams that have massive turnarounds tend to have pieces in place already that all of a sudden gelled. You could argue that Edmonton has those pieces too, but the number of injuries we've had this season hasn't allowed us to see that in action.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Here's to hoping that he worked on some things in the AHL and can come back and be a healthy contributor. I really hope he can outplay Hunt so we don't have to see more of him in the lineup.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

This post is wrong on multiple levels so its little wonder you are puzzled.

Reinhart was most definitely starting to fade before he was sent down. Poor decision making and his skating was an obvious liability. He needed more development.

As for Davidson...he was never a write off. If that were true the team wouldn't have been at all worried about losing him on waivers. They protected him knowing there was a player there.

They were right....there was a player there. A player that (albeit older) is a better skater than Reinhart and is more physical.
I would even suggest that he thinks the game as well as Reinhart and makes better decisions.

BD is a keeper and I would be happy if Reinhart turns out to be as good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad