Griffin Reinhart [UPD: Recalled After Davidson Injury] - Pt II

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
This post is wrong on multiple levels so its little wonder you are puzzled.

Reinhart was most definitely starting to fade before he was sent down. Poor decision making and his skating was an obvious liability. He needed more development.

As for Davidson...he was never a write off. If that were true the team wouldn't have been at all worried about losing him on waivers. They protected him knowing there was a player there.

They were right....there was a player there. A player that (albeit older) is a better skater than Reinhart and is more physical.
I would even suggest that he thinks the game as well as Reinhart and makes better decisions.

BD is a keeper and I would be happy if Reinhart turns out to be as good.

I like that you tuck in that Davidson is older in brackets like it doesn't matter. Have you always thought Brandon Davidson was a keeper? Brandon Davidson played his 20 year old season in the WHL as an over-age player and now has taken 4 pro years before he's established himself as even a mediocre bottom pairing d-man which you'd be happy if Reinhart turned out as good.

Does Reinhart not get the same benefit of development that Davidson got?

I've never liked the trade at any point, and still don't. But even I can see how incredibly biased you are on this particular player. I'm just not quite sure why.

Rawg

Its Rog
Jun 20, 2010
Edmonton
Everyone always talks about how D take years and years to develop but are ready to throw away a 22 year old one who they saw play 6 games.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
This post is wrong on multiple levels so its little wonder you are puzzled.

Reinhart was most definitely starting to fade before he was sent down. Poor decision making and his skating was an obvious liability. He needed more development.

As for Davidson...he was never a write off. If that were true the team wouldn't have been at all worried about losing him on waivers. They protected him knowing there was a player there.

They were right....there was a player there. A player that (albeit older) is a better skater than Reinhart and is more physical.
I would even suggest that he thinks the game as well as Reinhart and makes better decisions.

BD is a keeper and I would be happy if Reinhart turns out to be as good.

Management never wrote him off but a large portion of the fan base did. The fan reactions at the start of the year when he was kept on the roster while Nurse was sent to the minors was quite amusing.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I like that you tuck in that Davidson is older in brackets like it doesn't matter. Have you always thought Brandon Davidson was a keeper? Brandon Davidson played his 20 year old season in the WHL as an over-age player and now has taken 4 pro years before he's established himself as even a mediocre bottom pairing d-man which you'd be happy if Reinhart turned out as good.

Does Reinhart not get the same benefit of development that Davidson got?

I've never liked the trade at any point, and still don't. But even I can see how incredibly biased you are on this particular player. I'm just not quite sure why.

If Davidsons age really didnt matter I wouldnt have mentioned it at all....so nice try.

Davidson may be medicore to you but I think you have him mixed up with Gryba. Davidson has been solid especially considering his lack of NHL experience.

So if Reinhart turns out to be a solid bottom pairing dman then yes...I will be very happy because he needs to elevate his game to get there.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
If Davidsons age really didnt matter I wouldnt have mentioned it at all....so nice try.

Davidson may be medicore to you but I think you have him mixed up with Gryba. Davidson has been solid especially considering his lack of NHL experience.

So if Reinhart turns out to be a solid bottom pairing dman then yes...I will be very happy because he needs to elevate his game to get there.

Given the age difference Reinhart should get two more full seasons in the AHL? Seems like that's enough time to elevate his game. Will the fan base be as patient with Reinhart as they were with Davidson? Likely not as Davison wasn't really on any radars two seasons ago.

oilz89*

Given the age difference Reinhart should get two more full seasons in the AHL? Seems like that's enough time to elevate his game. Will the fan base be as patient with Reinhart as they were with Davidson? Likely not as Davison wasn't really on any radars two seasons ago.

If he turns into a Mattias Ekholm (sp.?) type player or almost as decent then Its fine

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Management never wrote him off but a large portion of the fan base did. The fan reactions at the start of the year when he was kept on the roster while Nurse was sent to the minors was quite amusing.

I agree with this. Now some of that fanbase are trying to represent their own perspective as Management's.

The experience will definitely help...the concern IMO is Reinharts skating. Skating wasnt a weakness for Davidson but it is for Reinhart. Some players can improve their skating early in their career...some cant.

We shall see how the Reinhart situation plays out.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I agree with this. Now some of that fanbase are trying to represent their own perspective as Management's.

The experience will definitely help...the concern IMO is Reinharts skating. Skating wasnt a weakness for Davidson but it is for Reinhart. Some players can improve their skating early in their career...some cant.

We shall see how the Reinhart situation plays out.

The bolded is wrong. One of the things pointed to for Davidson when he was turning pro was the need to improve his skating. Even now, he's not a particularly adept skater.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The bolded is wrong. One of the things pointed to for Davidson when he was turning pro was the need to improve his skating. Even now, he's not a particularly adept skater.

His skating wasnt as big a liability as Reinharts.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Reinharts skating isn't a liability. He isn't Musil. It's just not a strength.

This. The issue Reinhart has with skating is when he doesn't move his feet, and gets caught flat footed. Sure he still should try to improve his skating over the next few years, but the biggest issue is his consistency on making sure he's not flat footed. Thats really the only time when you see him get flat out beat and look like he can't skate.

Bored

Jan 13, 2008
Hoping he catches whatever Draisaitl caught when he was recalled, and never wants to go back to the ahl.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Nice to see him have a good strong first game back in the NHL.

No kidding. I still don't like the trade, but if continues to play like he did last night, or improve, then he'll prove a lot of naysayers wrong (myself included).

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Reinhart was one of the few that actually played the game 'right'.

However, I've noticed this in the past. He always seem to play like that for the first few games then reverts to playing like the rest..no physicality, not finishing checks, not tying guys up and not protecting your goalie.
It has to be something with the Oilers system or lack of one, that takes the good out of players like this.

Davidson seems to do the same..Whenever he comes up or back, he plays physical for a couple then reverts.

Nurse was like that as well.

Not sure what's in the water they have at Rexall that makes all the players lose their balls after a few days.

The only consistent one is Gryba, who really isn't that good of a player but at least he brings some physicality to the backend.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
Reinhart was one of the few that actually played the game 'right'.

However, I've noticed this in the past. He always seem to play like that for the first few games then reverts to playing like the rest..no physicality, not finishing checks, not tying guys up and not protecting your goalie.
It has to be something with the Oilers system or lack of one, that takes the good out of players like this.

Davidson seems to do the same..Whenever he comes up or back, he plays physical for a couple then reverts.

Nurse was like that as well.

Not sure what's in the water they have at Rexall that makes all the players lose their balls after a few days.

The only consistent one is Gryba, who really isn't that good of a player but at least he brings some physicality to the backend.

When has GR done this? In his single stint with the Oilers? Or are you talking about new York?

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
When has GR done this? In his single stint with the Oilers? Or are you talking about new York?

It was in reference to the few times he started, then trailed off.
Season start..played hard then reverted.
Got hurt in Oct..returned in Nov..played strong then reverted.
Now he's playing strong again. Just hoping it continues but, as I mentioned, all these guys seem to lose something after a few games.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He looked far more composed last night than Nurse has lately imo. Much more of a pro game. Wouldn't actually mind if they swapped at this point and Nurse got a bit more time in the minors (once Klefbom and Davidson are back of course. I never want to see Hunt play another game for the Oilers). Nurse is really starting to look in over his head. Certainly a large part of that is playing with Justin Schultz, but he's really making bad reads in the defensive zone covering guys.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Back to the AHL this morning. He'll get some more games in over the all star break. I'm curious to see if he gets a recall prior to the game on Feb 2.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
He looked far more composed last night than Nurse has lately imo. Much more of a pro game. Wouldn't actually mind if they swapped at this point and Nurse got a bit more time in the minors (once Klefbom and Davidson are back of course. I never want to see Hunt play another game for the Oilers). Nurse is really starting to look in over his head. Certainly a large part of that is playing with Justin Schultz, but he's really making bad reads in the defensive zone covering guys.

Nurse could use the ASB in all honesty but you can't forget he's also playing more minutes then he can handle along with playing with the abysmal Justin Schultz as his partner. Nurse played fine with a real nhl d in Sekera before Klefbom got injured. Even Klefbom managed to make Schultz look better.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

This is where we agree. I havent liked his game for weeks now and Idont like the way Nurse has been used. Schultz and Nurse are a bad pairing but Nurse has been a liability with his D-zone reads for well over a month now. He should be in the AHL IMO but there simnply isnt enough depth on the blueline to allow for that.

Really liked Reinharts game last night. I hope he can maintain that level of play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad