Griffin Reinhart [UPD: Recalled After Davidson Injury] - Pt II

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
MacT actually is doing some scouting duties both pro and amatuer. I dont see any other AHL Gms going to Finland to scout

Although itd be better if MacT was flushed from organization entirely. But you can kind of tell with MacTs total absence this year than Chia has totally exiled him. Why that man still hangs on even while so hated is beyond me. Just retire to Wabamun lake already

If Chia didn't want him here, he would have fired him. He clearly sees some value in what MacT can offer. Now, I 1/2 expect to see some more changes this summer to some of the supporting management now that Chiarelli has spent a year working with these guys and sees what each one has to bring to the table. Wouldn't be overly surprised if one or both of MacT/Howson are quietly moved on from at some point during the summer.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
If Chia didn't want him here, he would have fired him. He clearly sees some value in what MacT can offer. Now, I 1/2 expect to see some more changes this summer to some of the supporting management now that Chiarelli has spent a year working with these guys and sees what each one has to bring to the table. Wouldn't be overly surprised if one or both of MacT/Howson are quietly moved on from at some point during the summer.

The problem is rather than MacT/Howson admitting their time here was an utter disaster they'd rather hang on like ticks on a dog. Just like Yakupov needs a change of environment, those two also-rans need it times ten. But unfortunately they are part of the OBC and have connections to the owner that keep them entrenched in the back office. The second these two clowns are out the door, I will admit the team has turned a corner. Until they are gone, it is more of the same.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

I think there is other things at play. Does Chiarelli come into a new town, not know pulse of the city and fear firing a old boys club member would shake things up to much? I mean we know itd be bets, but would he? The owner enabled a old boys club for 5 years, does he fear breaking that up is a -1 in his book

I mean if you were a new GM and went to Colorado, would you sack Sakic in first year? I think itd be ballsy and smarter move is to just bury them for a year and see what you have. Then fire them if need be

To play devils advocate, MacT came in with similar aggressive nature as Chiarelli (or so he spoke in interviews). He had a solid 2013 draft, signed Pouliot, got Perron for MPS and made Talbot/Nilsson like deals with Fasth and Scrivens. I actually didnt mind him to start as odd as that sounds. He fell apart after. But maybe Chia seems benefit to him.

I mean if you compare Chiarellis moves to MacTs intial ones, they arent that far off. Chiarelli made bets on unproven goalies in Talbot/Nilsson, MacT with Scrivens/Fasth. Talbot actually worked out, but with goalies that could be pure luck.

Chiarelli grabbed Maroon for next to nothing, MacT got Perron (a semi PWF). Perron scored 28 for Oilers.

Chairelli signed Sekera, Mact Fayne. Both were amongst best UFA D available. Chiarelli was fortunate Sekera was better

Chia hit it out of park with Bear/Jones/Paigin. MacT came out well with Slepyshev/Yakimov/Platzer/Chase

Comparison ends after that with MacT completely failing the Petry/Schultz issues, faltering hard at 2014 draft, Nikitin deal, Reider deal and others. But maybe Chiarelli sees some benefit from keeping him if he can propose some moves like some of his early deals

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The problem is rather than MacT/Howson admitting their time here was an utter disaster they'd rather hang on like ticks on a dog. Just like Yakupov needs a change of environment, those two also-rans need it times ten. But unfortunately they are part of the OBC and have connections to the owner that keep them entrenched in the back office. The second these two clowns are out the door, I will admit the team has turned a corner. Until they are gone, it is more of the same.

Are you implying that Katz and Nicholson are forcing Chiarelli to keep MacT and Howson here? To me that sounds incredibly unlikely. When Chiarelli came here he insisted on having full control of the team, hence him being both GM and POHO.

Also just because MacT was a failed GM doesn't mean he has zero value to Chiarelli. MacT likely has a lot of good and bad qualities. He did make some good and bad trades and signings during his tenure. I think you just want your pound of flesh, someone to be punished for poor product you've had to endure.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I think there is other things at play. Does Chiarelli come into a new town, not know pulse of the city and fear firing a old boys club member would shake things up to much? I mean we know itd be bets, but would he? The owner enabled a old boys club for 5 years, does he fear breaking that up is a -1 in his book

I mean if you were a new GM and went to Colorado, would you sack Sakic in first year? I think itd be ballsy and smarter move is to just bury them for a year and see what you have. Then fire them if need be

To play devils advocate, MacT came in with similar aggressive nature as Chiarelli (or so he spoke in interviews). He had a solid 2013 draft, signed Pouliot, got Perron for MPS and made Talbot/Nilsson like deals with Fasth and Scrivens. I actually didnt mind him to start as odd as that sounds. He fell apart after. But maybe Chia seems benefit to him.

I mean if you compare Chiarellis moves to MacTs intial ones, they arent that far off. Chiarelli made bets on unproven goalies in Talbot/Nilsson, MacT with Scrivens/Fasth. Talbot actually worked out, but with goalies that could be pure luck.

Chiarelli grabbed Maroon for next to nothing, MacT got Perron (a semi PWF). Perron scored 28 for Oilers.

Chairelli signed Sekera, Mact Fayne. Both were amongst best UFA D available. Chiarelli was fortunate Sekera was better

Chia hit it out of park with Bear/Jones/Paigin. MacT came out well with Slepyshev/Yakimov/Platzer/Chase

Comparison ends after that with MacT completely failing the Petry/Schultz issues, faltering hard at 2014 draft, Nikitin deal, Reider deal and others. But maybe Chiarelli sees some benefit from keeping him if he can propose some moves like some of his early deals

I think the biggest difference is how they respond to their failures.

MacT actually did a decent job when he first started, he had zero issue pointing out and listing Tambo's issues. The problem was when the table turned on MacT, and he refused to admit to - or fix - his own mistakes. (Eakins and the defence).

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
MacT needs to be down the ****ing road. Fayne, Nikitin, Ference, Clarkson (what an epic ****ing disaster that would've been), Grebeshkov, the handling of the Petry situation, the Gagner contract, the Eakins fiasco, the list goes on and on.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think the biggest difference is how they respond to their failures.

MacT actually did a decent job when he first started, he had zero issue pointing out and listing Tambo's issues. The problem was when the table turned on MacT, and he refused to admit to - or fix - his own mistakes. (Eakins and the defence).

MacT walked in by crapping all over Tambo and then proceeded to over promise and massively fail to deliver all while laying out his entire plan and telling the world who he would be trying to trade. MacT walked into a situation where he could've really shown Tambo up and instead he did a horrible job himself.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
MacT actually is doing some scouting duties both pro and amatuer. I dont see any other AHL Gms going to Finland to scout

Although itd be better if MacT was flushed from organization entirely. But you can kind of tell with MacTs total absence this year than Chia has totally exiled him. Why that man still hangs on even while so hated is beyond me. Just retire to Wabamun lake already

Where did I say he was the AHL GM? He's the Vice President of Hockey operations and deals mainly with the Condors and scouting. This is from Chia's mouth in the Bob Mackenzie interview from last september. If you think MacT has been exiled look at his profile on the Edmonton Oilers website. http://oilers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=81299

Clearly says he works closely with Peter Chiarelli and Bill Scott on the daily operations of the team.

If you want an even bigger laugh look at Kevin Lowe's profile. These guys are both still a huge part of this team and the product on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad