Griffin Reinhart [UPD: Recalled After Davidson Injury] - Pt II

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Nurse could use the ASB in all honesty but you can't forget he's also playing more minutes then he can handle along with playing with the abysmal Justin Schultz as his partner. Nurse played fine with a real nhl d in Sekera before Klefbom got injured. Even Klefbom managed to make Schultz look better.

He actually didnt. Nurse has been missing reads and puck watching in the D zone for quite a while now.

He is simply in over his head at this level.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
He actually didnt. Nurse has been missing reads and puck watching in the D zone for quite a while now.

He is simply in over his head at this level.

I guess we saw it different. That being said, anybody playing with Schultz other than Klefbom has been yuck.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I guess we saw it different. That being said, anybody playing with Schultz other than Klefbom has been yuck.

The thing is...the pairing hasnt been to blame for Nurse puck watching. He still has to learn to locate the open man and not watch the puck as much. He has looked very bad on a number of plays that were entirely his fault.

He should be in the AHL for the rest of this season IMO but it wont happen because this defence is just so thin.
Its an Oiler thing thats existed for years now...no depth equals putting players in a position to fail.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
The thing is...the pairing hasnt been to blame for Nurse puck watching. He still has to learn to locate the open man and not watch the puck as much. He has looked very bad on a number of plays that were entirely his fault.

He should be in the AHL for the rest of this season IMO but it wont happen because this defence is just so thin.
Its an Oiler thing thats existed for years now...no depth equals putting players in a position to fail.

I agree.

With the Oil having no shot at the playoffs now there's no reason they can't keep Nurse in the AHL for the season.

Reinhart can come back until(if) he starts to regress, then send him down. Doesn't really matter who they call up at this point as long as they treat Nurse and GR properly.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I think it was an article on Lowetide, that had the stats showing that everyone played worse with Nurse. When Sekera was with Nurse, Sekera was bad. Nurse is at a point where he needs to play with a top pairing Dman to really make an impact, and he could be a positive force in that situation. He's just too young to accept more, and we don't have the partner he needs. He should have stayed in the AHL

edit: In looking for the article, I believe it was Jonathan Willis, who I would think is a respected writer. I couldn't find the article I read before but I found this one http://oilersnation.com/2015/12/18/andrej-sekera-and-his-partners. I did skim this one and there was a factor I did not think about, which was that with Nurse, Sekera has to play the right side which is not his best side, so that muddies it a bit.

But I definitely agree with your second part there. Justin Schultz biggest disappointment imo is that he hasn't been able to carry anyone. Nurse needs to be carried, but he's still very young. Schultz is still not in his prime, but he's getting up to the point where he should be able to tread water next to a rookie. Schultz can be very good, but he needs someone like Klefbom next to him to do the heavy lifting.

Last edited:

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Said it early in the original trade thread that I liked this move. I now think this is the best trade an Oiler GM has made since the glory Sather days. An absolute Steal! All we need now is a number one D at the draft! Things are coming together! :handclap:

The one he made for Reinhart may turn out to be one of the worst.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009

totally agree, but call me whatever you think is appropriate... but I still think the GR was almost completely devised and encouraged by MacT and Bob Green. He has been on the job, what, 3 months? If even? Stated he had to lean on his team or something to make that deal.

Bad bad trade to be sure but I give Chia a pass on that one.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
totally agree, but call me whatever you think is appropriate... but I still think the GR was almost completely devised and encouraged by MacT and Bob Green. He has been on the job, what, 3 months? If even? Stated he had to lean on his team or something to make that deal.

Bad bad trade to be sure but I give Chia a pass on that one.

I think many are jumping the gun on that one, he could still really pan out. We are so used to bringing guys in way too soon and expecting way too much, let him develop a little more and I think he'll be fine. He has had his share of injuries which hindered his play and development, he definitely has the smarts, the rest should come.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
He's a 4th overall pick, 22 year old D man in his 4th year as a pro, barely looks serviceable when he's up. I wouldn't say he's trending well at all. It looks bad how many players in that 2012 first round have already passed him. Plus the Oil are already loaded on the left side. He may be a decent player down the line, but he needs to come in next season and prove he's here to stay without a single question. Blow the doors off almost.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
I think many are jumping the gun on that one, he could still really pan out. We are so used to bringing guys in way too soon and expecting way too much, let him develop a little more and I think he'll be fine. He has had his share of injuries which hindered his play and development, he definitely has the smarts, the rest should come.

I agree, people are too quick to write off GR. For all we know he could still become a #1 D in a few years. Who had anticipated TJ Brodie ever being the Flames best D? Patience is a virtue when it comes to young D.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He's a 4th overall pick, 22 year old D man in his 4th year as a pro, barely looks serviceable when he's up. I wouldn't say he's trending well at all. It looks bad how many players in that 2012 first round have already passed him. Plus the Oil are already loaded on the left side. He may be a decent player down the line, but he needs to come in next season and prove he's here to stay without a single question. Blow the doors off almost.
A lot of this is wrong. This is only his second year as a pro.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria

Barely serviceable?

What have you been watching? Guys fine, not great but fine.

Needs to blow the doors off?

Why? Why can't he just be exactly what he is but a little better?

He's serviceable and steady.

You sound like you have an agenda against the kid.

KidAnger

Sep 12, 2015
Edmonton

4th year pro? This is his 2nd year in pro hockey.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003

You are correct unfortunatly. Chia had a wierd look on his face at the time so I am going to take this trade as a staff move. That being said if this was Greens move he plays a big roll in scouting now, yikes!

Last edited:

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
You are correct unfortunatly. Chia had a wierd look on his face at the time so I am going to take this trade as a staff move. That being said if this was Greens move he plays a big roll in scouting now, yikes!

I noticed that distressed look too when they showed him on TV. Looked like he was u Ser some pressure to make that trade.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004

I'd fire Green for that move if it doesn't turn out.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
I'd fire Green for that move if it doesn't turn out.

I have heard from other scouts,that worked with Green that he is one of the best, we shall see! I loved the rest of the draft and still think Rien will turn out to be a good dman.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Correction. Reinhart is in his second year in pro.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
You don't fire someone over one questionable move. That's ridiculous.

While I agree, many would be willing to call the move beyond questionable when you consider who was still available with that pick and the overall strength of the draft. Combine that with the fact the strength of the prospect pool was LHD and Klefbom and Nurse have much higher ceilings, and the trade made no sense from the get go. The only people in favour of the deal were Oil Kings fans.

I won't write off Reinhart just yet, but the tool box is mediocre, he needs to improve his foot speed and tenacity. The only thing going for him is positioning/coachability/hockey IQ. If the skating improves, he can be a poor man's Alzner. If it doesn't, we've got a LH Mark Fayne. Not worth 16+33. Had we just taken Barzal/Conner, one of them could have been the centrepiece to a Hamonic trade.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
While I agree, many would be willing to call the move beyond questionable when you consider who was still available with that pick and the overall strength of the draft. Combine that with the fact the strength of the prospect pool was LHD and Klefbom and Nurse have much higher ceilings, and the trade made no sense from the get go. The only people in favour of the deal were Oil Kings fans.

I won't write off Reinhart just yet, but the tool box is mediocre, he needs to improve his foot speed and tenacity. The only thing going for him is positioning/coachability/hockey IQ. If the skating improves, he can be a poor man's Alzner. If it doesn't, we've got a LH Mark Fayne. Not worth 16+33. Had we just taken Barzal/Conner, one of them could have been the centrepiece to a Hamonic trade.

Reinhart plays both sides though, and besides, we are not at a point where we can absolutely pin down all of our LHD either. Even if Reinhart were LHD only, just having so many horses in the race is a good idea unless we want to gamble our entire rebuild on the hopes that all our D fulfill the most optimistic script for them out there. There's no such thing as having too much of a good thing. At worst we might make a D trade.

edit: also btw Barzal doesn't get you Hamonic. The Isles want to trade him for a D, because they don't want to trade him at all. In fact, the Reinhart trade makes a Hamonic trade more possible. If Reinhart catches fire for the rest of this season, then they would listen to a Hamonic for Klefbom swap. I'm not saying we should do that, but it least it would be an option. Honestly, I don't think Eberle+ would do it like many say just because they want D. I also highly doubt there could be a three way deal out there. Those deals are just so rare that they aren't realistic.

Last edited:

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
Reinhart plays both sides though, and besides, we are not at a point where we can absolutely pin down all of our LHD either. Even if Reinhart were LHD only, just having so many horses in the race is a good idea unless we want to gamble our entire rebuild on the hopes that all our D fulfill the most optimistic script for them out there. There's no such thing as having too much of a good thing. At worst we might make a D trade.

edit: also btw Barzal doesn't get you Hamonic. The Isles want to trade him for a D, because they don't want to trade him at all. In fact, the Reinhart trade makes a Hamonic trade more possible. If Reinhart catches fire for the rest of this season, then they would listen to a Hamonic for Klefbom swap. I'm not saying we should do that, but it least it would be an option. Honestly, I don't think Eberle+ would do it like many say just because they want D. I also highly doubt there could be a three way deal out there. Those deals are just so rare that they aren't realistic.

Im pretty sure Mact thought reinsert was a right handed shot like his brother LOL:laugh::laugh::laugh:

can you guys imagine if that was the case ?

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

I wasn't suggesting Barzal/Conner could land Hamonic on his own, but he could be the foundation of a deal. Bottom line, it was asset mismanagement from the get go. We paid a premium price for a prospect that had already shown signs of stagnating. Fast forward 2/3 of a season where Reinhart has been given a big role in the AHL with the occasional taste of the NHL and I don't see any signs of improvement.

You make a fair point that IF Reinhart plays well it could make Klefbom expendable in a Hamonic trade, but that's like saying IF Yakupov scores 30, it could make Eberle expendable. The theory is correct, but so far from the realm of possibility it's really not worth mentioning.

As an example, (and making adjustments for a weaker draft and Yak's higher skill level), would you accept 10th overall + 40th overall for Yak? I would, but I doubt there's a GM in the league that would offer it. Chia got Snow jobbed at the draft last year, end of story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad