Griffin Reinhart [UPD: Recalled After Davidson Injury] - Pt II

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
Reinhart plays both sides though, and besides, we are not at a point where we can absolutely pin down all of our LHD either. Even if Reinhart were LHD only, just having so many horses in the race is a good idea unless we want to gamble our entire rebuild on the hopes that all our D fulfill the most optimistic script for them out there. There's no such thing as having too much of a good thing. At worst we might make a D trade.

edit: also btw Barzal doesn't get you Hamonic. The Isles want to trade him for a D, because they don't want to trade him at all. In fact, the Reinhart trade makes a Hamonic trade more possible. If Reinhart catches fire for the rest of this season, then they would listen to a Hamonic for Klefbom swap. I'm not saying we should do that, but it least it would be an option. Honestly, I don't think Eberle+ would do it like many say just because they want D. I also highly doubt there could be a three way deal out there. Those deals are just so rare that they aren't realistic.

Isn't that what we are doing currently anyways? We are currently hoping that our defensemen (mainly Klef, Nurse, or Reinhart) fulfill their optimistic script. We are currently gambling our rebuild hoping that one of these defensemen turn into that stud defensemen we need so bad. Adding more unproven talent (like when we added Reinhart) doesn't change any of that, its just adding more players who we hope can turn out. Nothing against Reinhart but the thinking of adding a unproven defensemen who we hope can become good isn't the solution (unless the guy is like an Ekblad level player).

Last edited:

Debonair

PS4
Jul 20, 2004
It was a bad trade. I'm going to say Chia was influenced on this one - but he still made the call in the end. This should have been the Hamonic trade or tell Snow to go **** himself.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Barzal/Connor will step into the NHL and become impactful players before Reinhart does. It's sad cause some of us saw this coming when the trade went down

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Hard not to be down on the trade at the moment. Rienhart was suppose to be NHL ready and sure up our Defence right away. At this point you just hope he eventually turns into a bottom pairing guy.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Hard not to be down on the trade at the moment. Rienhart was suppose to be NHL ready and sure up our Defence right away. At this point you just hope he eventually turns into a bottom pairing guy.

or you hope that his development is not yet finished

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
At the time I liked the move. Kind of saw Reinhart as an Alzner long term. However I am not liking what I am seeing so far... That said, he is only 22. Hard to give up on him before he is 24.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
God what a disaster of a trade..
Why does everyone freak out so bad. Every time he gets sent down its like he's done in the NHL. It's his second year of pro hockey. Duncan Keith took longer than this for gods sake.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Why does everyone freak out so bad. Every time he gets sent down its like he's done in the NHL. It's his second year of pro hockey. Duncan Keith took longer than this for gods sake.

Duncan Keith is the exception, not the norm. For every Duncan Keith, there are one thousand Alex Plantes.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012

Duncan Keith is an outlier. So is Chara. So is Weber. So is Giordano. Reinhart has more in common with Cowen, Teubert, McIlrath, Siemens and Schenn than someone like Keith.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
this. GR can't skate. close the book. Bob Greene should be demoted.

Why is everyone so extreme over this?

It's OK to admit that this trade doesn't look so hot at the moment without also proclaiming Reinhart as a full on bust with no future. He still has time, opportunity, and room to improve as a player.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Why is everyone so extreme over this?

It's OK to admit that this trade doesn't look so hot at the moment without also proclaiming Reinhart as a full on bust with no future. He still has time, opportunity, and room to improve as a player.

I would agree with you if he could skate, but he can't. if you can't skate you better bring something else...offense,puck moving, grit, toughness.....he doesnt play with it.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
We can't write him off just yet. Defenceman traditionally develop slower than forwards. He has enough physical tools and potential that he could still turn out to be a solid 2nd pairing D-man. The jury is still out on this one, the reality is he may need a year or two to develop in the AHL.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I would agree with you if he could skate, but he can't. if you can't skate you better bring something else...offense,puck moving, grit, toughness.....he doesnt play with it.
A year ago Draisaitl couldn't skate.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I will temper my expectations of Reinhart. Worst case Scenario he turns into a very good number one defenseman. Best case he wins a Norris within 5 years.

Once his skating improves nothing can stop him.

A year ago Draisaitl couldn't skate.

This guy right here gets it.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Duncan Keith is the exception, not the norm. For every Duncan Keith, there are one thousand Alex Plantes.

So your saying it is the norm for d men to be finished developing in their 2nd pro season?

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Defensemen take longer, but it's always exaggerated. If they're not NHL regulars by now then you worry. It's not outrageous at all to think re: Reinhart and his skills don't suggest anything to suggest a major turn around.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
So your saying it is the norm for d men to be finished developing in their 2nd pro season?

No, I'm not saying that, although that is a hell of a more likely than him becoming a Duncan Keith in this league.

I like plenty of things about Reinhart's game tbh. But his upside is realistically as a #4/5 with no offense. And who knows how long it will be until he gets there.

There's no defending the trade.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
No, I'm not saying that, although that is a hell of a more likely than him becoming a Duncan Keith in this league.

I like plenty of things about Reinhart's game tbh. But his upside is realistically as a #4/5 with no offense. And who knows how long it will be until he gets there.

There's no defending the trade.
I'm not defending the trade I hated it at the time. Ironically when I thought the picks we gave up we were getting Hamonic. I'm defending the player. It's ridiculous the way people have written off a D man on the second year of his ELC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad