Griffin Reinhart [UPD: Recalled After Davidson Injury] - Pt II

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
Barzal is far from the NHL , anything can happen remember Peter Mueller??? Reinhart win the world junior being name MVP of the tourney, put good stats in the AHL, and now play 20 minutes a game in the NHL ... Barzal is far from that time will tell ...

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Barzal is far from the NHL , anything can happen remember Peter Mueller??? Reinhart win the world junior being name MVP of the tourney, put good stats in the AHL, and now play 20 minutes a game in the NHL ... Barzal is far from that time will tell ...

None of those guys are automatic at all but there was some fine fine players this team could have taken and either kept or better yet used them as bargaining chips for a strong package for the high end players we lust after. Connor, Barzal, Aho, the guy I wanted was the Russian goalie.

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
None of those guys are automatic at all but there was some fine fine players this team could have taken and either kept or better yet used them as bargaining chips for a strong package for the high end players we lust after. Connor, Barzal, Aho, the guy I wanted was the Russian goalie.

Right now Connor is the only one i'll trade for Reinhart ... i have a feeling Barzal will not perfom so well in the NHL but who knows

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005

However if guys like Davidson are stepping up and maybe Musil or Osterle or who knows who else perhaps those guys turn into pieces that can be used in a package because with Reinhart they are more expendable. If the farm hands on D are starting to show they are developing well then suddenly there's a lot of pieces on the back end and it possibly frees up that position to be added in to upgrade the D. There's more than one way to manage assets.

Evil Ernie

Nov 2, 2011
I can't believe people that are upset that we gave up some magic beans for a prospect that looks like he may be a top 5 D-Man.

I'm also sick of draft picks. I'd rather Chia take a chance on someone who has a real chance to make rather than continuing to collect prospects.

Why

Jan 15, 2014
Edmonton
Man this Reinhart hate is getting old. Is he a top 2? No. But he was never drafted/traded for that. Kid is progressing very nicely Id say. Lets give the kid a few more years before trashing the s*&t out of him and completely writing him off, never know, maybe he will be good (god forbid). This place is seriously never happy unless there is someone they can absolutely rip to pieces for how horrible they are. :shakehead:shakehead

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I would guess that right here and now that most teams woulds rather have Barzal alone than Reinhart, let alone the high 2nd rounder we gave up as well. The Isles made a mistake, the Oiles got suckered, cause Chia actually listened to the mooks who were not cleared out when the new Gm came in.

'Reinhart is NHL ready!' Now the mark has moved to 'he might be ready to make the team next year as a 7-8 dman.'

Lets put it this way. If both Reinhart and Barzal were the same age in the WHL the Oil kings wouldn't have traded Reinhart unless a huge+++ was coming along with Barzal. I think your either really over valuing Barzal or undervaluing Reinhart. Either way Reinhart was twice the player Barzal is now at the same age.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You wouldn't want that. We would lose Reinhart to the expansion :laugh:

Well we'll probably get jobbed somehow with the expansion draft anyway.

Remember when Corey Perry was a throw in on a perspective Comrie deal? The only way the guy matters is if the other team with what you want really covets him. NYI coveted Barzal but I'm sure that Chia was kicking tires there and has even been reported that Chia kicked tires BEFORE the request came out. If Chia could've gotten Hamonic for the 2 picks and a midling prospect then Hamonic would be here right now.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
One thing preventing Reinhart from being taken in expansion drafts is the format of the draft. It will expose a ton of great defensemen if most GMs opt for the 7 forwards and 3 Dmen option. Reinhart has some appeal in that he's young foundational player, and maybe he will look even better by this time next season, but they will have the chance to have a deep D of all #3-4 guys top to bottom.

One way we can protect ourselves is by taking advantage of that 1 player limit. You can only be poached for one player max, so we should make sure to expose a player they will select for sure. I did suggest Pouliot to be that player, signed long term at a reasonable cost, and perhaps easy to replace as a winger. That's a short sighted pick though, as we could make a move this offseason to get that player, and keep Pouliot.

I think we're also allowed to make a deal with Las Vegas if we want to control things. I recall reading of that type of thing in previous expansions like San Jose.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Man this Reinhart hate is getting old. Is he a top 2? No. But he was never drafted/traded for that. Kid is progressing very nicely Id say. Lets give the kid a few more years before trashing the s*&t out of him and completely writing him off, never know, maybe he will be good (god forbid). This place is seriously never happy unless there is someone they can absolutely rip to pieces for how horrible they are. :shakehead:shakehead

You dont get drafted at number 4 to be less than a number 2

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
1 point in 27 games. Second worst possession player on the defense. Left-handed and doesn't skate well. This trade keeps looking better and better.

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
1 point in 27 games. Second worst possession player on the defense. Left-handed and doesn't skate well. This trade keeps looking better and better.

You talk about a staying at home def and using Skating-points production and puck possession to say is not good ? Or you are a 17-18 year old who don't know a s... about hockey or you are a Montreal journalist :shakehead

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Or we can just call up Musil and still have Barzal/Connor and the 33rd pick player in the system who are exempted from the expansion.

coulda shoulda woulda.

What's done is done, why hate the kid because a poor trade was made.

It's not his fault he was valued so highly by the oilers.

The only thing that can come from hating on him because of his value, is that he won't live up to your expectations. What's the point?

There are two scenerios here:

Either he busts, and you spend all your time hating him, and now you were right, woo hoo good for you.

Or, he ends up a good player, and you spend all your time hating him and you can either irrationally continue to hate him, or eat crow.

For me, I think the support him and hope for the best approach is the way to go. You may be disappointed if it doesn't work out, but at least you don't let something like a bad trade cloud your judgement on the kid. If he fails, he fails, we can't change what's already happened, and worrying about it isn't going to make anything any better.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Or we can just call up Musil and still have Barzal/Connor and the 33rd pick player in the system who are exempted from the expansion.

you must realize your criticism only makes sense in hindsight. We can't be that forward looking all the time. Just like this upcoming offseason, I don't want Chiarelli to govern all his moves under the assumption of an expansion draft next season. I want him to fix the team, and the expansion draft needs to be a secondary issue. It's an issue we can put off with mid-season trades and what not, or take an aggressive stance at the expansion draft and make a deal with Vegas.

At the time of the Reinhart trade, it made sense in principle to trade away the pick for a defenseman that is much further along. That principle is still equally true today. I would also remind you that defense takes longer to develop. Have some faith in these players while they are in their early 20s. Tampa didn't ditch Hedman. NJ stuck with Larsson. These and many others didn't look like they would live up to their draft position at a similar age as Reinhart.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I didn't like the trade at the time and it looks worse now. That said, Reinhart has only had one season here so it's a bit early to judge what type of impact he can have. I'm still hoping he can turn it around but there seems to be a lot of competition now with Davidson, Oesterle and Clendening taking minutes, along with other AHL guys improving like Laleggia, Simpson and Musil, not to mention any other veteran players brought in over the summer. Reinhart obviously has size which gives him an advantage but he needs to improve on his play or you're basically getting less from him than Gryba was providing. Again, it's early and he should improve, but will he improve enough to justify that trade? We'll see I guess.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
You talk about a staying at home def and using Skating-points production and puck possession to say is not good ? Or you are a 17-18 year old who don't know a s... about hockey or you are a Montreal journalist :shakehead

Who cares about 'stay at home' defensemen? This isn't 1996 anymore, that player type doesn't have nearly the same value as it once did. If you can't skate or move the puck in today's game then you're a severely limited player, and definitely one I wouldn't give up a 1st and a high 2nd for.

The new 'defensive' defensemen are like Vlasic, Tanev, Hjalmarsson, not big guys who can't skate or make a pass. But don't worry, I'm sure because Reinhart is such a smart player he's going to buck the trend of big dudes with poor skating who don't put up points.

What a **** trade. Those assets should have been used for other actual NHL players, and if they couldn't be then oh wow, Kyle Connor/Matt Barzel/Colin White/Schvenikov + whoever you pick 33rd would be really nice trade chips right about now.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Who cares about 'stay at home' defensemen? This isn't 1996 anymore, that player type doesn't have nearly the same value as it once did. If you can't skate or move the puck in today's game then you're a severely limited player, and definitely one I wouldn't give up a 1st and a high 2nd for.

The new 'defensive' defensemen are like Vlasic, Tanev, Hjalmarsson, not big guys who can't skate or make a pass. But don't worry, I'm sure because Reinhart is such a smart player he's going to buck the trend of big dudes with poor skating who don't put up points.

What a **** trade. Those assets should have been used for other actual NHL players, and if they couldn't be then oh wow, Kyle Connor/Matt Barzel/Colin White/Schvenikov + whoever you pick 33rd would be really nice trade chips right about now.

Stopped reading after you said Reinhart can't make a pass. Clearly you don't watch the player because he is a pretty damn good passer.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I can't believe people that are upset that we gave up some magic beans for a prospect that looks like he may be a top 5 D-Man.

I'm also sick of draft picks. I'd rather Chia take a chance on someone who has a real chance to make rather than continuing to collect prospects.

This x 10. And as the season winds down, the Reinhart trade is looking not bad. Sal good.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think the Oiler's target with that pick was Zboril then Svechnikov. Once Zboril was selected by the Bruins then the pick was in play. Probably less then 10% chance that the Oiler's would have drafted Barzal or Connor. Plus they selected some Mcdavid kid. They could have just thrown away every pick and still be the winners of the draft.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
I think Griff has looked pretty good since his last call up. As long as he keeps playing mean and continues to work on his skating this summer he will be a solid 4-5 in the future. Also like how he seems to get a couple good chances per game shows he has some IQ. Another half year in the AHL and he will be a full time steady D man for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad