Griffin Reinhart [UPD: Recalled After Davidson Injury] - Pt II

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Klefbom-Petry
Sekera-Davidson
Marincin-Schultz/Fayne

still too soft for the west tbh and lack any significant offence upside, would say if we came into injuries problems we would've been okay though.

Having 11 million in cap tied up between Sekera and Petry for the next 5-6 years would be brutal too. Can't be spending that much money on no.3 d-men.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Having 11 million in cap tied up between Sekera and Petry for the next 5-6 years would be brutal too. Can't be spending that much money on no.3 d-men.

Could have had Petry at like 4M probably. He wanted long term, MacT denied and went short term to bank on Schultz. What an epic f*** up

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Could have had Petry at like 4M probably. He wanted long term, MacT denied and went short term to bank on Schultz. What an epic f*** up

We probably don't have McDavid then. I don't miss Petry much to be honest, we need better players than that. Sekera basically replaces anything Petry did.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
We probably don't have McDavid then. I don't miss Petry much to be honest, we need better players than that. Sekera basically replaces anything Petry did.

so MacT's a genius then? not sure I understand that logic

let's face it, Reinhart's been underwhelming to say the least....slow, timid and not a lick of offense

poor 1st trade by Chia...its trades like these that have the Oilers perpetually in the bottom 5 of the standings

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

let's face it, Reinhart's been underwhelming to say the least....slow, timid and not a lick of offense

poor 1st trade by Chia...its trades like these that have the Oilers perpetually in the bottom 5 of the standings

Not only was the trade itself bad, but now the Oilers risk losing Reinhart in the expansion draft. If the Oilers had used the those draft picks (that were traded) the players obtained with those picks would have been expansion draft protected.

If Reinhart is lost in the expansion draft, the Oilers would have traded a first and a second for about 2 seasons of Reinhart (not even all at the NHL level).

Brutal.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Davidson took Marincin's roster spot and played well enough that I don't care what happens with MM moving forwards. If given the option again I'd still send MM away so Davidson has a spot on the roster.

The Oil could have used Petry, that's for sure. He'd probably be playing 24+ minutes a night and everyone would hate him because if you play a #4 as a #2 you're probably going to be disappointed in the results.

I've actually posted many times I won't lose sleep about losing Marincin cause our left defense is stacked.

Your question is interesting tho. Davidson was amazing last year and certainly seems to have some clear advantages over Marincin.

However I still prefer Marincin, if ever so slightly.

I can't help but think by the time Marincin is 28 he will have put on some weight and the offense will be there.

I think a slightly beefier Marincin that contributes 20-30 points is going to be a + 15 or better defender.

I don't think he will be a stud #1 type but that would still be big.

As good as Davidson is and Reinhart could be I don't really see either being significantly better than Marincin could be in their prime.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I've actually posted many times I won't lose sleep about losing Marincin cause our left defense is stacked.

Your question is interesting tho. Davidson was amazing last year and certainly seems to have some clear advantages over Marincin.

However I still prefer Marincin, if ever so slightly.

I can't help but think by the time Marincin is 28 he will have put on some weight and the offense will be there.

I think a slightly beefier Marincin that contributes 20-30 points is going to be a + 15 or better defender.

I don't think he will be a stud #1 type but that would still be big.

As good as Davidson is and Reinhart could be I don't really see either being significantly better than Marincin could be in their prime.

My stance is same as yours regarding Marincin and Reinhart. But I differ on Davidson vs Marincin

I dont see an big offense gap between the 2 (I would actually give benefit to Davidson). Both are 24, both posted similar WHL numbers (edge to Marincin but he was seen as almost a pure OFD). Davidson had 11 in 51 this year, Marincin 7 in 65. Davidson has a bomb of a shot and can actually hold that line well. Marincin is a more fluid player, but dude has no offensive creativity whatsoever in offensive zone. Hes a slightly better puck mover, but Davidson has advantage due to that shot and better ability to use it

Marincin is a solid defensive player, but you gotta worry about over-reliance on stick work. Davidson is just as smart positionally and effective with the stick, but Davidson can bust a cycle with his physicality and use of size. Marincin cant and might never be able or willingly to no matter his size

Not to mention this was Davidsons first season, Marincin had 100 games to his name. I think there is a slight gap right now in favour of Davidson, and well see if grow in future

Although Marincin gets undersold on HFOil, hell become a good #4

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

No, bringing up the fact that having Petry means no McDavid isn't about calling MacT a genius.

It's about putting Petry in the past and not as the one that got away. It is a good thing we don't have Petry here, even long term at a cap number around 4. The only reason that is true is because we have McDavid. MacT's incompetence failed upwards.

Failing upwards isn't a positive trait. It is a good thing that we have Chiarelli with ALL of the power in hockey decisions now, and I'd rather have McDavid than Petry.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
No, bringing up the fact that having Petry means no McDavid isn't about calling MacT a genius.

It's about putting Petry in the past and not as the one that got away. It is a good thing we don't have Petry here, even long term at a cap number around 4. The only reason that is true is because we have McDavid. MacT's incompetence failed upwards.

Failing upwards isn't a positive trait. It is a good thing that we have Chiarelli with ALL of the power in hockey decisions now, and I'd rather have McDavid than Petry.

Its like the world worst driver got behind the wheel and got lost going down the street and somehow wound up at a 7/11. The bought a lotto ticket and won. Hes still an idiot, but he fumbled and stumbled into something great

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

MacT runs the Condors...

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Put him and Nurse together in Bako. Give them first pairing minutes and play them in all situations 28-32 mins/game. A year in Cali would do wonders.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
My stance is same as yours regarding Marincin and Reinhart. But I differ on Davidson vs Marincin

I dont see an big offense gap between the 2 (I would actually give benefit to Davidson). Both are 24, both posted similar WHL numbers (edge to Marincin but he was seen as almost a pure OFD). Davidson had 11 in 51 this year, Marincin 7 in 65. Davidson has a bomb of a shot and can actually hold that line well. Marincin is a more fluid player, but dude has no offensive creativity whatsoever in offensive zone. Hes a slightly better puck mover, but Davidson has advantage due to that shot and better ability to use it

Marincin is a solid defensive player, but you gotta worry about over-reliance on stick work. Davidson is just as smart positionally and effective with the stick, but Davidson can bust a cycle with his physicality and use of size. Marincin cant and might never be able or willingly to no matter his size

Not to mention this was Davidsons first season, Marincin had 100 games to his name. I think there is a slight gap right now in favour of Davidson, and well see if grow in future

Although Marincin gets undersold on HFOil, hell become a good #4

I think Marincin is a very strong #4 right now no matter what, and if paired with a more offensive type could easily be a #3 or a poor #2.

And he still has tons of room to grow both figuratively and literally.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

but could say that about a lot of things ie. the hiring of Dallas Eakins, the Ference acquisition, playing Scrivens so much etc...

not sure why Petry was singled out

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
but could say that about a lot of things ie. the hiring of Dallas Eakins, the Ference acquisition, playing Scrivens so much etc...

not sure why Petry was singled out

I would say they are all the same in that their failings helped us get McDavid.

It's not really a comment about Petry, moreso than about MacT's mishandling of Petry. Most Oiler fans wish we had Petry for a couple more seasons at least, but it's worth pointing out that if that happened we likely would have switched draft positions with Toronto. There's no way we could know what the outcome would have been, but the best outcome did unfold just the way it happened so we should be happy with it, and not dwell on everything that went on then.

Although, Raab pointing out that MacT was running the Condors was news to me. I mainly care about the Oilers but we do want the Condors to succeed to help support our NHL team.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I would say they are all the same in that their failings helped us get McDavid.

It's not really a comment about Petry, moreso than about MacT's mishandling of Petry. Most Oiler fans wish we had Petry for a couple more seasons at least, but it's worth pointing out that if that happened we likely would have switched draft positions with Toronto. There's no way we could know what the outcome would have been, but the best outcome did unfold just the way it happened so we should be happy with it, and not dwell on everything that went on then.

Although, Raab pointing out that MacT was running the Condors was news to me. I mainly care about the Oilers but we do want the Condors to succeed to help support our NHL team.

MacT needs to be fired along with Lowe. The fact they're still in the organization is embarrassment as a fan. It's no surprise MacT couldn't get an AHL team winning, his talent assessment is beyond brutal.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Where did you get that information?

It was said a few times when Chia was brought in. Its on MacT's wikipedia page that most of his duties are with the Bakersfield Condors and Pro Scouting. They have TSN's Bob Mckenzies 30 minute interview with Chiarelli as the source.

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
It was said a few times when Chia was brought in. Its on MacT's wikipedia page that most of his duties are with the Bakersfield Condors and Pro Scouting. They have TSN's Bob Mckenzies 30 minute interview with Chiarelli as the source.

I wouldn't trust in Wikipedia regardless of who they list as a source. And I think all the call ups, specifically brossoit, stopped the condors playoff aspirations

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I wouldn't trust in Wikipedia regardless of who they list as a source. And I think all the call ups, specifically brossoit, stopped the condors playoff aspirations

Well its in the video. I don't have 30 minutes to watch it again but it should be there. I know I've heard several times that MacT will be mainly running the Condors.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Well its in the video. I don't have 30 minutes to watch it again but it should be there. I know I've heard several times that MacT will be mainly running the Condors.

MacT actually is doing some scouting duties both pro and amatuer. I dont see any other AHL Gms going to Finland to scout

Although itd be better if MacT was flushed from organization entirely. But you can kind of tell with MacTs total absence this year than Chia has totally exiled him. Why that man still hangs on even while so hated is beyond me. Just retire to Wabamun lake already

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad