Confirmed with Link: Greg Pateryn for Ian Cole

Status
Not open for further replies.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Cole is still a very serviceable bottom 6 guy. Won’t be the defining factor in any victories, but still has some good shutdown qualities.

He unfortunately just became expendable as the young guys in the Colorado system (namely Byram and Timmins) are ready for ice time. Not to mention I can’t imagine Cole was wanting to sit in the press box when he still can be getting ice time somewhere else.

Why has Cole's PIM dropped off? He seemed to be dropping his gloves frequently in 2018-19 then not so much after that.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Maybe Guerin knows Soucy is gone in expansion draft and wants to get a free agent jump on a bottom pairing guy who played for the Pens?

If Avs said they need to make deal now, Billy probably figured he should just get it done.

Reactions: zellmatic

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I believe Russo hinted at soucy moving over but I do agree after plenty of speculation that if we retain salary at the deadline he could get us a solid pick back

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
Pretty damn embarrassing to be making a trade right now for a non-center option.

Feels like a poor trade once again. Guerin seems to like 1-1 player trades which I don’t mind in theory but again we seem to be trading a player that fits in a defined role that the team doesn’t have a ton of options to replace. For a player who is thrust into a position that he doesn’t fit with players who are in a similar role.

If this trade comes at the expense of ice time for Soucy, this is just an awful move.
i think we should have received a 3rd pick so i agree not a good trade by guerin. one eye on the future which wild gms just cant seem to grasp that concept.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
i think we should have received a 3rd pick so i agree not a good trade by guerin. one eye on the future which wild gms just cant seem to grasp that concept.
But why? In what world does that make sense?

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
I wouldn't be surprised if we are able to get that at the trade deadline. But for this trade, an extra pick doesn't make sense. If anything, that's a hefty return for Pateryn. Just not a return we'd like.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
I like this, sometimes you need a guy to punch people in the face. Cole will do that, grit is important. He’s won, he’s the better player. Avs retain, this is a win.

I’d imagine BG wants us to be harder to play against.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
It's interesting to see how people's narratives change
Spurgeon being named captain: He doesn't stick up for his teammates enough!
Trade for Cole: This trade makes to sense!

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It's interesting to see how people's narratives change
Spurgeon being named captain: He doesn't stick up for his teammates enough!
Trade for Cole: This trade makes to sense!
Pateryn is the same kind of player as Cole. Your narrative makes no sense.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
This trade annoys me to no end.

It's relatively benign. Third pair D for third pair D. Advanced stats say Cole is a bit better at offense(hard not to be, Pateryn has none) but not known for it by any means. but a worse at D. Roughly a similar player.

Let's assume Cole is slightly better, might not be true, but assume it.

Why the frack are we spending half our available capspace on upgrading our third pair slightly, who plays at most 12 minutes a game behind one of the leagues best top 4s with a gigantic hole at C.

Upgrading our D should literally be our last priority. Why the frack are been taking on an extra million in cap for a 6th defensemen. Because he happened to be in a team that had Malkin and Crosby while BG was there?

JP Flow

May 1, 2019
Out East
If we’re sellers at the deadline, and we do move Cole, what are the chances of seeing Belpedio (or, dare I say, Mennell?) closing out the season over Hunt?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
If we’re sellers at the deadline, and we do move Cole, what are the chances of seeing Belpedio (or, dare I say, Mennell?) closing out the season over Hunt?
I'd rather play Belpedio over Cole now.

Kennel the chances are zero. He can't play until next season, regardless of when the KHL season ends.

In a normal season RFAs have to sign hybDec 1st to play that season. Not sure what that deadline moved to but I'm sure it still exists

JP Flow

May 1, 2019
Out East
Has Guerin stealthily embraced the tank? Rather than just throwing his hands up and shipping off any old asset for picks and prospects, he took on guys on expiring contracts who have the potential for solid seasons, creating some decent value at the deadline. They won’t all be hits, but if you could get a few reasonably exciting picks (maybe a couple seconds and thirds? I don’t know.) for Bonino, Johannsson and Cole, not only do you get some ammunition for the draft, you also clear $12 million in cap.

If that’s the strategy, I’m good with it. If Billy really thinks he’s improving this hockey team, then I have concerns.

Am I off base?

JP Flow

May 1, 2019
Out East
I'd rather play Belpedio over Cole now.

Kennel the chances are zero. He can't play until next season, regardless of when the KHL season ends.

In a normal season RFAs have to sign hybDec 1st to play that season. Not sure what that deadline moved to but I'm sure it still exists
Forgot about the RFA deadline. Alas. I’d still be eager to see Menell this season, and maybe Addison next year.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Has Guerin stealthily embraced the tank? Rather than just throwing his hands up and shipping off any old asset for picks and prospects, he took on guys on expiring contracts who have the potential for solid seasons, creating some decent value at the deadline. They won’t all be hits, but if you could get a few reasonably exciting picks (maybe a couple seconds and thirds? I don’t know.) for Bonino, Johannsson and Cole, not only do you get some ammunition for the draft, you also clear $12 million in cap.

If that’s the strategy, I’m good with it. If Billy really thinks he’s improving this hockey team, then I have concerns.

Am I off base?

Yes. You are off base. Cole has as much value as Pateryn at the deadline. If BG wanted to tank and not make the playoffs he would have just kept Dubnyk and spend the off-season speaking platitudes on how he'll reboun he wouldn't have traded for Bonino.

He is aiming to make the playoffs.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Eh, if Cole is at least bottom pairing material and we trade him for a pick at TDL, I have no issues with this trade.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
IF colorado initiated this trade we should have demanded a pick asked for a 3rd , maybe settled for a 4th. then taken cole as a cap dump. IF guerin initiated the trade for another retread past his prime, guerin is a dumb @@@. now do you get it???

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Yes. You are off base. Cole has as much value as Pateryn at the deadline. If BG wanted to tank and not make the playoffs he would have just kept Dubnyk and spend the off-season speaking platitudes on how he'll reboun he wouldn't have traded for Bonino.

He is aiming to make the playoffs.
Greg would have got traded last year if he had ant trade value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad