Confirmed with Link: Greg Pateryn for Ian Cole

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
No, they can't
Can't can't, or can't shouldn't.

To sleepy too look at the CBA rights now, curious if there is an obscure rule against claiming players you just traded I don't recall.

Because between LTIR (Stalock or Zuc), and Sturm/Kaprizovs waiver exemption, they could make the room... Just shouldn't

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
From Tribune:

"Wild General Manager Bill Guerin is familiar with Cole from their days in Pittsburgh, where the two won back-to-back Stanley Cups in 2016 and 2017, with Cole on the ice and Guerin in management. And the experience Cole provides from those championship runs was one of the reasons why he was appealing to the Wild."

And pretty apparent in Russo's Athletic article. Or if we're out of the playoff race to flip him for assets.

I remember the same justification for signing Mike Rupp. He was washed up and overpaid, too.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Cole has looked really good out there for us.

The Burns goal was terrible looking on our d but you have to tip your hat, Burns made a great play and it happens.

Imo Cole has looked markedly better then Pateryn.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
trading for Pateryn was about cap space for CO, nothing more. No clue what Guerin's motivation was.

Same reason why he traded Staal and why he made Spurgeon the captain. Guerin is looking for a certain type of player, and apparently Pateryn didn't fit that. More so, Pateryn has had a mysterious injury that may have tanked his value even more.

Guerin has been super clear that he wants more character guys in the locker room and less guys looking at the Wild as a retirement home.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Cole is better than Pateryn; that's why the trade was made. It hurts the cap but this trade was a 1-for-1 upgrade for MN. It gives MN more/better options to cover a d-man injury or two. Cole should have more TDL value than Pateryn if MN wants to go that route too.

I didn't like the trade when it was made, but Cole looks much better than Pateryn at everything so far.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Same thing happens every season; fans forget about the moves made in the offseason. It's like the season starts and everything goes out the window. The Pateryn/Cole trade is the same sort of trade Guerin has been making since he's taken over this team.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I remember the same justification for signing Mike Rupp. He was washed up and overpaid, too.
It is a 1 year deal. The only reason someone should be upset about being overpaid or cap space beng used is if you truly believe the Wild were going to make a big move to contend by the TDL.

I think it is obvious that the Wild are waiting for their prospects to come up and hoping to sell at the deadline.( rentals and maybe Dumba) Russo has made it clear a few times that he doens't think the Wild will be adding much this year because they want to sign Kaprizov/Fiala before handing out their cap space.

The Wild have 22 mil in cap space for next year. my guess is Fiala is around 5.5 to 6 mil and Kaprizov will be 6 to 7mil. That gives us 9 mil for Ek and Hartman(if not dealt). Plus we get a bit of cap space due to the ED. That should be enough to get someone like Danault.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I can see getting rid of Pateryn because the injury he had ( they call it core nowadays, probably sports hernia or groin) that held him out of so many games is one that likely to reoccur on an older player. They are career killers for lesser talented players.

I don't buy that we needed an upgrade at the #6 D spot. Cole is marginally better, but his defense isn't as solid. He isn't the player he used to be. As far as the dressing room, if he's such a find there then why are we looking to move him at the TDL? Is it really worth losing 1.5M in cap space, that can be the difference between making a deal happen or not at the TDL?

I guess it's not a big deal. Sure which he had spent that cap space on a deal involving a Center of some sort, instead. That's where we desparately need help.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
As far as the dressing room, if he's such a find there then why are we looking to move him at the TDL?

Always could sign him back for cheaper in the offseason, but a penny gained is a penny earned. Cole may have more value as a two-time Stanley Cup Champ as well. More so, it's easy to cause issues in the locker room as it is to build it up.

Is it really worth losing 1.5M in cap space, that can be the difference between making a deal happen or not at the TDL?

Are we looking to make a deal? I think Guerin has the patience to wait.

I guess it's not a big deal. Sure which he had spent that cap space on a deal involving a Center of some sort, instead. That's where we desparately need help.

Maybe - and just maybe - it's more than just trading for a center. If we trade Dumba, then that means the defense is getting shaken up. Or hell even Soucy. Guerin is more comfortable giving an increase load to a guy he has seen play and has more knowledge on then a guy he has little knowledge on. Personally, if Dumba is traded and Cole and Soucy is elevated, I'd be more comfortable with them than Pateryn and Soucy.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I like Cole and I'd take him over Pateryn in the expectation of a long playoff run. Otherwise, I'd say save your money. Will need as much as possible to line Kaprizov's pockets when the time comes.
You mean after the season? When Cole's contract expires?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I like Cole and I'd take him over Pateryn in the expectation of a long playoff run. Otherwise, I'd say save your money. Will need as much as possible to line Kaprizov's pockets when the time comes.

What? Cole is an UFA at the end of this season. How does Cole this year effect Kaprizov this summer?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, Cole has turned out to be better than I thought. Nothing spectacular, but he's an upgrade on Pateryn.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think Pateryn was a better PK guy and probably better in his own end, but Cole is much better with the puck.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah, for all of the Avs fans taking about Cole not being worth playing in their bottom pairing, I've been quite surprised at how good he is there. Either Colorado's bottom pairing is significantly better than ours, or the Wild is a better fit for his game. Either way, I guess we walk away feeling like winners in the deal.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah, for all of the Avs fans taking about Cole not being worth playing in their bottom pairing, I've been quite surprised at how good he is there. Either Colorado's bottom pairing is significantly better than ours, or the Wild is a better fit for his game. Either way, I guess we walk away feeling like winners in the deal.
Or, the Wild D is better overall and can easily hide bottom D weakness better.

Cole is definitely better than Pateryn was... but he's also surrounded by a better overall defensive core here than he was in Colorado.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Or, the Wild D is better overall and can easily hide bottom D weakness better.

Cole is definitely better than Pateryn was... but he's also surrounded by a better overall defensive core here than he was in Colorado.
Yeah, I've never been of the opinion that Colorado has a better defensive corp than us, much less significantly better. I think you are on the right path here. It's interesting how having skill around you can make your own game look better. I mean, as an extreme example, look at Rask. I don't see a different player than the guy that was ineffectually playing 4th line last year, the difference is that this year he's got Kaprizov on his wing hanging onto the puck and actually creating things.

Reactions: TaLoN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad