Confirmed with Link: Greg Pateryn for Ian Cole

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Yes. You are off base. Cole has as much value as Pateryn at the deadline. If BG wanted to tank and not make the playoffs he would have just kept Dubnyk and spend the off-season speaking platitudes on how he'll reboun he wouldn't have traded for Bonino.

He is aiming to make the playoffs.
Pateryn's agent tried leaking a bidding war last year and there were no biters. Cole might get you something like a 4th at least. Bonino was a throw in for a trade that was for a draft picks. Plus Bonino can be moved to TDL as long as he produces a bit. The Staal trade was trying to get an asset he could move. Since Staal was going to block any contending team at the TDL. Make no mistake Guerin is not planning on contending this year. I would bet that we will be sellers at the TDL. If he truly wanted to compete, we would've traded for a center by now or kept Staal.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Greg would have got traded last year if he had ant trade value

He spent the first half the season injured. Kinda kills any trade value.

Had he continued to stay healthy, his value is about what Cole's is.

Pateryn's agent tried leaking a bidding war last year and there were no biters. Cole might get you something like a 4th at least. Bonino was a throw in for a trade that was for a draft picks. Plus Bonino can be moved to TDL as long as he produces a bit. The Staal trade was trying to get an asset he could move. Since Staal was going to block any contending team at the TDL. Make no mistake Guerin is not planning on contending this year. I would bet that we will be sellers at the TDL. If he truly wanted to compete, we would've traded for a center by now or kept Staal.

You think BG considers a C who is better than any other C on our roster, and played for him on those Pittsburgh cup teams a throw in?

I certainly don't.

Last edited by a moderator:

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
You think BG considers a C who is better than any other C on our roster, and played for him on those Pittsburgh cup teams a throw in?

I certainly don't.
You think we traded Kunin for Bonino and the 2nd and 4th round picks were sweeteners? I view the 2nd and 3rd round picks as the highest value in that trade and Preds were willing to add Bonino to shed salary.

I think Kunin for the early second was the base with the 4th(with our pick swap) being a sweetener to take Bonino off their hands.

or you could view it as Kunin for a 2nd and pick 70.
and Bonion for pick 101.

Last edited:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
You think we traded Kunin for Bonino and the 2nd and 3rd round picks were sweeteners? I view the 2nd and 3rd round picks as the highest value in that trade and Preds were willing to add Bonino to shed salary.

I think Kunin for the early second was the base with the 3rd(with our pick swap) being a sweetener to take Bonino off their hands.

I think BG inquired about Bonino, not the Preds inquiring about Kunin. How the rest of the deal came together is irrelevant.

BG wanted Bonino.

BG: Is Bonino Available?

Poile: Sure, how about Kunin for Bonino

BG: You'll need to give us something extra to trade a 23 year old former first round pick, etc

*Haggling intensifies*

Trade complete.

P10p

May 15, 2012

I certainly don't.

Nice try with the mental gymnastics but you're wrong lol.

I think BG inquired about Bonino, not the Preds inquiring about Kunin. How the rest of the deal came together is irrelevant.

BG wanted Bonino.

BG: Is Bonino Available?

Poile: Sure, how about Kunin for Bonino

BG: You'll need to give us something extra to trade a 23 year old former first round pick, etc

*Haggling intensifies*

Trade complete.

And again, you're wrong. Russo wrote about Nashville calling on Kunin. Not the other way around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HotDish

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Pateryn had another year on his deal Last season. Bonino certainly was not a throw in.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Why are people digging so deep for reasons to hate this trade? It's a relatively minor swap of bottom pairing dmen. Cole is a slightly better player. Avs get Pateryn but more importantly make room for Byram.

I think it's mostly due to trying to understand the "why" of the trade. If BG truly wants to make the team better and competitive for playoffs, the focus needed to be on other areas of the team rather than the D (let alone the 3rd pairing). It's just a completely "meh" move.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Why are people digging so deep for reasons to hate this trade? It's a relatively minor swap of bottom pairing dmen. Cole is a slightly better player. Avs get Pateryn but more importantly make room for Byram.
Yeah this is a completely nothing burger trade. Guerin has deserved criticism on other trades, but this one is probably at the bottom. swapping bottom pair dmen isn't news. Honestly I don't think Guerin has plans on going after a center(as much as we would like him to). I think he is still building for the future if we make the playoffs it is gravy, but I don't think Guerin views the playoffs as make it or break it. Moving Cole is easier than Pateryn at the deadline.

expect Rask being our 1C after the TDL :laugh:.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
That's what I think. Losing 1.2M in cap in this deal would be an issue if BG were truly going for it, as that + plus the cap lost in the Staal deal would add up to an amount that would make a difference when trying to add a player at the TDL.
Nice to have an owner like Leipold who is willing to lose money like that .

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Cole may have had some recent struggles, but his track record suggests he's a much much better player than Pateryn. Cole had 26 points in 65 games last season and has multiple seasons with 20-25+ points. Pateryn's career high is 13 points and he generally struggles to even reach double digits. Much different caliber of players offensively.

When you look at possession numbers Cole is much better than Pateryn as well. Pateryn is a minus in terms of possession and is also even a minus in relative possession numbers compared to teammates. Blocked shots, hits, takeaways, etc Cole blows Pateryn out of the water.

His statistical profile actually looks a lot like Brodin's (though obviously Brodin is better). With Pateryn, you're hoping that he doesn't hurt you when he's on the ice. Cole can actually be a difference maker, let alone not hurt you.

I'm not sure why people are mad about this trade at all, the cap space difference is not going to be the difference between making a move or not making a move. The Wild's 3rd pairing gets markedly better and the Wild can effectively expect offensive production from all 3 d-lines now. Given the Wild's center situation and lack of scoring ability from their forwards outside of Fiala/Kaprizov and maybe Parise... the Wild need offensive production from their D and this helps them do that in a significant way.

I'm not sure how many of you have actually played hockey, but there's plenty of players that actually prefer playing on their off-side--it's actually easier offensively. Really the only downside is you're having to catch passes on your backhand more often, but it's really less of an issue as long as you're not a wing.

I haven't particularly liked a lot of Guerin's moves and the value that we've gotten in return, but this is a really underrated move.

Reactions: P10p

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Cole may have had some recent struggles, but his track record suggests he's a much much better player than Pateryn. Cole had 26 points in 65 games last season and has multiple seasons with 20-25+ points. Pateryn's career high is 13 points and he generally struggles to even reach double digits. Much different caliber of players offensively.

When you look at possession numbers Cole is much better than Pateryn as well. Pateryn is a minus in terms of possession and is also even a minus in relative possession numbers compared to teammates. Blocked shots, hits, takeaways, etc Cole blows Pateryn out of the water.

His statistical profile actually looks a lot like Brodin's (though obviously Brodin is better). With Pateryn, you're hoping that he doesn't hurt you when he's on the ice. Cole can actually be a difference maker, let alone not hurt you.

I'm not sure why people are mad about this trade at all, the cap space difference is not going to be the difference between making a move or not making a move. The Wild's 3rd pairing gets markedly better and the Wild can effectively expect offensive production from all 3 d-lines now. Given the Wild's center situation and lack of scoring ability from their forwards outside of Fiala/Kaprizov and maybe Parise... the Wild need offensive production from their D and this helps them do that in a significant way.

I'm not sure how many of you have actually played hockey, but there's plenty of players that actually prefer playing on their off-side--it's actually easier offensively. Really the only downside is you're having to catch passes on your backhand more often, but it's really less of an issue as long as you're not a wing.

I haven't particularly liked a lot of Guerin's moves and the value that we've gotten in return, but this is a really underrated move.

Playing the boards is a little harder too.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Playing the boards is a little harder too.

That's fair to some degree, but I feel like no matter the side you play on you're going back and playing it with your forehand or back-hand depending on the bounce. Handedness, to me, is sort of a non-issue... unless you have players that are really strongly against it.

It sounds like Cole has played on both sides throughout his career and Soucy may even prefer playing on his off-side.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
If he truly wanted to compete, we would've traded for a center by now or kept Staal.

And then we would be screaming that Billy G is such a bad GM, because he made a panic move to get a center. The center market is pretty dry, except if you want to grab a guy like Logan Brown? PLD is out there, but my guess is unless the Wild is willing to pony up a top prospect like Boldy or Rossi + a mid-level guy like Khusnutdinov and a 1st (and that's assuming PLD will want to stay in Minnesota), then I'm guessing they are okay staying pat.

Moving Staal was more of clearing out the locker room of the old guard and the country club types.

I cannot believe I have to keep typing this, but GMBG has a certain type of player he is looking for. My guess is that he would have moved Pateryn earlier if he was healthier, but he wasn't. Cole brings a guy that GMBG has been targeting since this summer. Good locker room guy, plays hard and plays tough.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Followed every game of Cole's since he arrived in the show. So I will give you a run down on why he has played on so many teams. In ST. Louis it was a Hitchcock issue. Cole always has been a great plus minus guy. In fact he makes his defensive partners appear so good that they get accolades and contracts while Cole gets left handling the bags. In Pittsburgh guys like Maata, Dumolin, Schultz got fat contracts but they became pretty average after Cole left. Same goes for Graves in Colorado. Cole can do more than his defensive assignments but needs to refrain from doing too much. I predict a much stronger defense provided Cole gets 18 plus minutes a night.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Gives the Wild another stopgap option when we trade Dumba for a C..

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Followed every game of Cole's since he arrived in the show. So I will give you a run down on why he has played on so many teams. In ST. Louis it was a Hitchcock issue. Cole always has been a great plus minus guy. In fact he makes his defensive partners appear so good that they get accolades and contracts while Cole gets left handling the bags. In Pittsburgh guys like Maata, Dumolin, Schultz got fat contracts but they became pretty average after Cole left. Same goes for Graves in Colorado. Cole can do more than his defensive assignments but needs to refrain from doing too much. I predict a much stronger defense provided Cole gets 18 plus minutes a night.

Thanks for this reply. I'm not sure Cole will get that many minutes on a deep blue line with Brodin/Suter/Dumba/Spurgeon all averaging 20+ minutes per game. However, I think he will provide stability on the 3rd pairing and I'm much more comfortable with the idea of sliding him to the 2nd pairing if one of the top 4 gets injured than Pateryn or Soucy.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought Soucy was vg when he played with Brodin on the second pair last year.

I am getting mixed messages on Cole's game. Some Av's fans are saying that Cole is more of an offensive type, and not a good PK'er. If anything, they say he would be an option on the #2 PP. They are also saying he is in decline.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Gives the Wild another stopgap option when we trade Dumba for a C..

I fail to see how a guy who won't be here after April 12 would do that

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
I think it's mostly due to trying to understand the "why" of the trade. If BG truly wants to make the team better and competitive for playoffs, the focus needed to be on other areas of the team rather than the D (let alone the 3rd pairing). It's just a completely "meh" move.
You don't think he's been focused on a C because he made a 3rd pairing swap? What logic is that?

Reactions: thestonedkoala

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The fact that an insignificant trade; a bottom pairing guy swapped for a bottom pairing guy that makes slightly more, but both contracts end this year has garnered four pages is - quite something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad